Why I think the New Bionicle Story will be Terrible

So we aren’t even four months into the new Bionicle. In terms of media, all we have are nine short animated episodes, one of which hasn’t even been translated into English yet. We hardly know anything about the new characters, the new location, or the new plot.

And yes, despite this utter lack of information, I’m going to make the case here that the new Bionicle has already guaranteed itself to have a miserable story. So steer clear, eternally optimistic 12 year olds and wannabe lawyers who can’t keep their cars running; this topic is going to explain why your main subject of reporting is going to be completely unenjoyable for the duration of its existence.

Let’s start off with what was (in my opinion) the best part of Bionicle in 2001, and arguably the biggest failure of Bionicle in 2015: The world building. One of the very first thing 2001 Bionicle focused on was world building; Lego made it such a priority that a game dedicated to literally nothing but exploring the island was released in January; before the sets were even released in North America. Along with that, Lego devoted much of the early Bionicle website and promotional material to depicting the various villages and locales of Mata Nui. A partnership was formed with McDonalds to release villagers as Happy Meal toys, giving more insight into what the actual world of Bionicle was like. Even the initial villains, who are often dismissed as merely placeholder baddies until the Bohrok could show up, served to help build up the world as well, by introducing us to the wildlife of the region. Most of all, 2001 Bionicle was very much a story that made use of the entirety of its locale; the heroes, villagers, animals, environments, and lore was all used extensively, and was used from the get go.

Now compare that to 2015 Bionicle. While some people may say that 3 months is too quickly to judge a story, I’d argue that the 3 months thing is exactly what condemns Bionicle already. Bionicle only spent 3 months actually setting up the island of Okoto. Within that three months, we were never introduced to any of the villages, only introduced to one Protector, never met any villagers, and the only kind of wildlife we met are a group of spiders who are almost assuredly going to be removed from the plotline forever after the end of this year. We know nothing of the customs, habits, or lifestyle of these villagers. Moreover, the Toa have already left their respective areas and arrived at the Ancient City, and if (as seems to be suggested) the rest of the year ends up being a battle between the Toa and the various Skull beings within the Ancient City, we’re not going to be getting back to the villages any time soon.

So Lego spent a grand total of 3 months (6 out of 9 short episodes) actually establishing the island at all. Most of that is minimal, and it’s extremely unlikely that we’re going to be getting back to a position where we could possibly be world building for a while. And this is quite honestly my biggest issue with the new Bionicle; it has completely undermined itself. By the time we could possibly get back to world building, it will likely be at least a full year into the new storyline’s lifetime, and by that point it’s arguably far too late to begin establishing a location. In the same way that you can’t stick a “hook” for a story in halfway through the book, you can’t start developing a location a full year after you introduce it to us. By that point everyone whose interest you would have caught due to the well done world building is no longer interested and has passed on.

I don’t want this to be a complaint of “It’s different and therefore RUINED,” because different is good and what truly began to undermine old Bionicle was it’s inability to move away from the standard Piraka “rargh I have no friends” villain archetype. The problem, is, though, that Bionicle’s one true strength in the medium of narrative was its world building. Mata Nui was excellent because it was thoughtfully built up and mysterious while not being a total enigma. Metru Nui was engaging for much the same reason. The only time Bionicle has really managed to have a strong storyline without the use of extensive world building was 2006, and that worked in large part due to atmosphere and a sense of tension that ramped up the stakes wonderfully. Perhaps more importantly, though, Bionicle has never been particularly engaging due to its characters. Want proof? How about that time Lego tried to make a movie where half of the screen time was focused on Vakama going through a rebellious teenage phase? Yeah, exactly

And that’s what strikes me as most worrying; new Bionicle seems to have taken all of the focus that was on world building (i.e. what Lego has shown it can do well) and moved it to trying to develop its characters (i.e. what Lego has never done well and never will do well because it is a company that produces toys). So much of what has been done in the way of fleshing out Bionicle so far has been attempts to develop the characters. Instead of getting a few episodes establishing the various villagers and the residents within, we get a couple of episodes depicting the Toa meeting as a group, fighting about who gets to be leader, and then fighting a giant spider in the most cliched “you can do it if you work together” way possible. Even the bios on Lego’s front page are far more detailed than they were before, giving us utterly bizarre facts about the Toa that no one would ever have possibly cared to know (Gali telling bad jokes, for instance). I’ve already penned in the new Bionicle storyline as utterly terrible because it’s shown a complete lack of awareness for what made it interesting the first place; and instead taken all of its resources and moved them to doing what Lego has never, ever been able to do well.

TL;DR version: New Bionicle is going to be terrible because it’s ignoring world building (what arguably made Bionicle great to begin with) and instead focusing on trying to develop a few characters, which is something Lego has always been average at best at, and is usually much worse.

-MT

26 Likes

Someone got burnt.

18 Likes

Well said. I personally think that no matter what Bionicle did it would have been deemed a failure with similar language to this. I mean, imagine if Lego had focused on world building. It would constantly be compared to G1, and that would be really bad for G2.

1 Like

You make G2 sound like a re-skinned HF.
Shoot.

1 Like

I don’t agree with all your points. Ninjago, for example, spent the entire first pilot “season” on Kai, did little world building, and had few characters. There were only 2 22 minute shows. But that was merely a pilot, like these first 10 story videos are. Most of the world building and new characters were introduced in the second and third seasons (Rise of the Snakes and Stone Army). And Ninjago was such a success, Lego had to stop its cancellation. The summer wave’s episodes will most likely be better, with a better release schedule and more of them. They might even make the Okoto Online Game. And there will most definitely be world building. Don’t judge a book by its cover, don’t judge anything by its pilot.

14 Likes

What proof have you?

I agree with all of this.

Couple of things.

Firstly, referencing Ninjago as an example of good storytelling or world building is like referencing Midna from Twilight Princess as an example of a good Zelda sidekick. Neither is anywhere near good, they’re just not quite to the same level of hair pulling aggravating-ness as their counterparts.

But secondly, even if Ninjago was spectacularly good, it’d play entirely into this point.

Ninjago bored me to tears when it first came out. Even if it had gotten substantially better since then, it wouldn’t make any difference. It already missed its attempt to grab me, and that’s what I mean here.

The summer wave’s episodes will most likely be better, with a better release schedule and more of them. They might even make the Okoto Online Game.

I’ve heard nothing regarding the latter, and I seriously doubt the summer episodes will be better, but regardless, my point is that the summer episodes, due to almost assuredly being located entirely in the Ancient City, have lost out on their chance to world build.

And there will most definitely be world building. Don’t judge a book by its cover, don’t judge anything by its pilot.

I’d argue that judging a story by it’s beginning is exactly what we should be doing. It’s unfair to judge a book by its cover, but it’s most certainly fair to judge it by it’s introduction, and that’s exactly the case here. The beginning of any story should be the “hook” drawing us in, not the boring snoozefest that discourages me from following it altogether.

-MT

7 Likes

New story could be terrible and could be good. Theories are always welcome and definitely interesting to read, but we would not know it for sure until it’s true revelation.

1 Like

First all, I haven’t played Zelda. I don’t get your reference. Secondly, you can’t criticize Ninjago’s characters or world from just watching the pilot. As stated above, there is substantial world building in later seasons. By the latest season, there are at least a hundred characters and a much better world. Just ask @Mesonak, @Eljay, or @TakumaNuva. And I think if Bionicle follows Ninjago’s pattern, more story will appear for the summer or 2016, and it will develop into a great reboot. I agree, this winter wave is subpar, but the Rise of the Snakes year, the second one, was, in my opinion, Ninjago’s best. So following a pattern made by a Lego theme that is very successful, which would make Lego want to repeat it, we will soon be entering a great summer/year.

6 Likes

I’ve actually watched a decent bit of Ninjago, particularly the second and third seasons, mostly on Mesonak’s insistence and to acquire enough knowledge to run a mafia game back on BZP. And to be quite honest, it’s not good. Certainly not the worst I’ve seen from Lego, but it’s by no means a shining example of excellent world building.

Perhaps that has something to do with myself already having been turned off from the series due to the extremely slow beginning, but again, even if that is the case, it’s Ninjago’s fault once more for doing a terrible job at “hooking” people.

Also Mesonak is quite possibly the worst possible reference for quality ever. Seriously. This is the guy who likes LJ’s comics, after all.

-MT

4 Likes

Did you ever visit Ninjago’s website? They have had info for even the most minor character since it started. And some years had complete info on locations, wildlife, and other stuff. Isn’t that what you’ve been saying you want for Bionicle? If they added more website info, made more animations, and released them 1 a week, and added the Toa going to many locations on the island, learning legends and discovering lore to create a story and world? Basically give them what Ninjago has. Then would it not be excellent? In later seasons, many locations of Ninjago are explored, and lore and legends fit together across seasons, and many minor characters reappear and affect plot. Wouldn’t Bionicle like that be great? Any Ninjago fans, please back me up.

6 Likes

paradox is right. truly. the bionicle story is going to be simplified and I think that Ninjago has a good mix going on that will fit bionicle well just give it a chance.

3 Likes

I’m really not sure how I can explain this any more clearly, but I’m going to give it one more shot.

Even IF Ninjago does somehow do a drastically better job of world building on its website with brief bios than it does in its TV show, and even IF Bionicle lives up to this quality later on (two very huge ifs), it will already be too late. That is the entire crux of my argument.

The opening of any story should be the hook that draws the audience in. To use an example, Apollo Justice, a continuation of the Ace Attorney series, opens up with one of the better hooks I’ve seen in any work of fiction by taking the protagonist from the previous series and putting the new protagonist in charge of defending them in court from a murder. Apollo Justice recognizes what it does well (mystery), and then puts that at the forefront to grab people’s attention and get them invested in the story. Once it’s done that, then it slows its pace and goes off to do other things (admittedly with mixed results).

It’s the same sort of thing here, except instead of mystery solving, Bionicle does world building well. The point being that shoving the one thing to the side that you’ve done well over the years in favor of something you’ve literally never done well is a foolish decision at best, and simply leads for an un-engaging world that you then have to try and take time to establish later on.

Is it completely impossible for Bionicle to ever get good? No, certainly not. There have been a few stories in the past (Okami) that have been quite good despite atrociously slow beginnings. But the odds are increasingly against Bionicle after the slow start, especially considering it’s being written by Lego, who has an especially poor track record with stories, Ninjago included.

-MT

3 Likes

Alrighty. I’m not sure what everyone else was expecting here. As much as I would have loved a nice, developed world, I was expecting something in line with Hero Factory, and that’s just what we got. When I saw they were doing a series of 2-minute animations, I gave up any hope I still had, at least for the time being. Reading the character bios on the websites were painful. Kopaka gets lost easily? Gali tells bad jokes? Onua falls asleep meditating?

I have to disagree with what you said about LEGO focusing on developing the characters now. They didn’t try to develop the characters, they tried to make them simple stereotypes for kids to understand easily. Hence the reason Onua falls asleep meditating - if more media is released, then that is going to be his one joke. Kopaka’s joke is going to be getting lost easily. Gali’s the only one with more than one joke, and even that’s going to fall flat because LEGO’s going to try to milk it for all it’s worth. If they weren’t, it wouldn’t have been important enough for LEGO to put in her bio, you know?

I could have dealt with a simpler, more childish BIONICLE story, but I feel this reboot is BIONICLE in name only. This was the fear I kept expressing back in July when the rumors were going around, and I’m a bit bummed that it turned out to be true. It misses the point of BIONICLE completely.

Also, points for style on Midna a few posts down. I’ve never thought she was a good character by any means, but was a heck of a lot better than the other emotionless drones in Zelda games (especially in TP).

6 Likes

I agree with a lot of what you said, though I do think they’re making an attempt at developing the characters, seen mostly though the 7th and 8th animations where the Toa fight like schoolchildren over who gets to be leader and who gets to kill LoSS. It’s certainly paddling pool levels of development, but I do think they’re making some form of effort to change the characters’ views and beliefs.

-MT

1 Like

ok guys
ITS A TOY LINE FOR KIDS!! The story isn’t what is going to bring them in the sets are. the story, while nice for us, is not really necessary. The story is going to get better. my guess is that lego blew their budget on those stupid gold masks. Remember lego is not dumb!

8 Likes

…well, at least it looks like we’ve moved from denial to bargaining.

I suppose that’s progress

-MT

5 Likes

nope I still think you are wrong but I think we need to keep that in mind during this disscussion

1 Like

How do you know that they were real gold? We never got to touch them. What if only the Skull Spider Mask was actual gold and the rest were just spray painted? As you said,

You also argue that it’s the sets that matter, not the story. That is bogus, to put it lightly. Granted, the sets are what bring in the money, but without a story, they’re just hollow shells. Remember, like @MT_Zehvor said, back in 01, they brought in the story even before they released the sets worldwide. The story is what brought interest, curiosity, and hype.
Even though Lego has never been top-par with story, Bionicle will be another “big test” for them. If people don’t like it, they’ll fix things that didn’t work and make it better. Lego isn’t amazing with story, but they’re learning, in baby steps. Give them a chance, as seen in the NYC comic con, they are very enthusiastic, know about Bionicle even more than we do, and work their tails off on the line. I trust that they know what they’re doing even with the slow start. It’s a marketing strategy called under-promising, then over-delivering.

4 Likes