Why is Lewa a girl?

It just is kinda boring to have almost all the main characters boys.

4 Likes

“Destroying” is kinda blowing it out of proportion, don’t you think? Hurting, maybe, but it’s not like fans are attributing the r34 to TTV. If it really is dragging TTV down, I certainly don’t have an eye for it.

4 Likes

i don’t think it will. and i really don’t think Lewa being changed into a girl was the main reason for the attack. Infact the trolls later just posted stuff meant to show the TTV cast as dictators in their own boards. Unless you have proff that Lewa’s changed gender was the main reason, there is little reason to belive it was.

1 Like

So the Powerpuff Girls or the new Ghostbusters are boring since they’re a bunch of girls?

None of those things are Bionicle. They’re seperate and extremely different.

2 Likes

I’m not saying it was the primary reason, but it was one of them.

3 Likes

I don’t see anything wrong with changing a character’s gender(or race) as long as it isn’t important to who they are. For example, you can get away with making Superman black, but you can’t make Black panther white.

4 Likes

So, there’s a couple of things to unpack here. To clarify, we have a lore based reason behind this, as well as a personal one.

Firstly in regards to it being a change for selfish reasons, I think that unfortunately any change we are going to make is, by nature, a selfish one. We’re making our own version of Bionicle, so no matter how you look at it you’ll always find that the decision that we make will stem from our own desires. Making Lewa female is just as selfish of a decision as moving the location from Mata-Nui to Artahka (the name of the island in our reboot).

This is why I wanted to understand why you thought it was so important, versus some of our other changes that most people seem to think are fine.

We want our Bionicle to be recognizable, but different. We don’t want to just tell G1’s story all over again because… well, its already been done and that’s just kind of boring. As fans of G1, we always thought that the number of male Toa compared to the number of female Toa was strange. Gali, as a character, was always given archetypal roles of being “the mother”, with female quirks that have been done millions of times before. We felt that Gali was limited by being the only girl member, because naturally writers tend to attribute anything that’s feminine to her.

Your solution of making them all gender-less works, however I think it’s a concept that makes them less relatable to the audience because humans do have genders. We want our characters to be as relateable as possible, hence why we’ve given them a bit more human characteristics (eating, sleeping, etc.).

And I can assure you, no one in TTV made this change just to ship characters together… that’s a really silly reason to change a characters gender.

Now, from a lore perspective it’s important to realize that this Lewa is not the original Lewa, but rather a new (female) character who has taken over the mantle the original left behind. The original Lewa was male.

Also in regards to our reputation, I think if people want to get hostile and try to spam us and insult us just because they don’t like our ideas, that’s their prerogative. We aren’t about to stop speaking because someone wants to bully us into silence. That is true censorship, and these people are truly reprehensible.

32 Likes

I have not seen them. Also those are groups of 4, not 6.

I know for a fact that that is not true

4 Likes

Woah, woah. How is this toxic? I am asking a serious question.

2 Likes

The Powerpuff Girls, No.

Ghostbusters, yes.

The entire point of the Powerpuff Girls was to create an action show centered around girls as protagonists, because it wasn’t something commonly seen. It subverted expectations of the genre as well as gender roles. Changing the gender of these characters ruins the entire point of the show.

The Ghostbusters on the other hand are not intrinsic to their gender and can be swapped without anything directly ruining the idea behind it. However, I think the misstep was making them all female, which is almost as boring as having them all be male (except for the fact that movies with an all female cast are less common)

16 Likes

this might be a little bit off-topic, but there was a couple of episodes on which there were powerpuff guys

I would just like to point out that even the Transformers were written in the original marvel comics as “genderless” (even thou they were portrayed with male characteristics) only to later have more female based characters be made. As the stories continued to be told and later writers added their own ideas and spins on the stories, the Transformers became no more just robots, they became “natural” mechanical lifeforms with their own biology.

3 Likes

Yeah but they were villains, and that’s a whole other can of worms to get into right there :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

maybe you could make an episode on which the toa fight their genderbent versions

I don’t really get the emojis

2 Likes

Was this raid archived, and kept here with most of the images deleted, or was the entire raid deleted?

It’s uninteresting, pointless, and taxing on the story at large.

The current “G3” design of Lewa would have worked really well if he was a flowery knight type. You know, the romantic gentlemen. You don’t even have to change the design, just the character. That would have actually been interesting, instead we have… whatever G3 Lewa is supposed to be.

As the original poster said, you over complicated the story to genderbend the character, not the other way around.

If your goal is to change something that’s beloved to so many people while keeping it recognizable, why didn’t you create new characters? In the vast universe of Bionicle, there were so many interesting things you could have done that would have brought in just as many fans (and that precious, precious free art) without leaving a sour taste in the mouths of others. Of course, you are free to do what you want, I’m just curious as to why you wanted to do it this way. The obvious elephant in the room is Nova Orbis. I really hope you don’t think you can’t do something that original because it’s “already been done” because that is far from the truth. In fact, it’d be interesting to see TTV, with all of the resources and fan support, do another original series, possibly creating an uprising in original and intelligent Bionicle continuations that could appeal to any fan, whether they like genderbending or not.

I always thought that the number of male podcast members compared to the number of female podcast members was strange.

Just to clarify, my words are in disagreement to your continuation. I don’t want to stop it, and I have better things to do with my time than harass you.

7 Likes

from what i know, all of the comments were deleted from the raid.

I personally don’t see the reason behind getting all up in arms about a character being gender-swapped, especially since this is a fan project with no connection to LEGO. I think exploring new ideas and options, such as adding more females to the original Toa, is a good idea, as it adds new dynamics to the story.

I’d also like to point out to those who believe that Lewa’s gender (or the gender of ANY Toa, for that matter) is integral to the lore don’t have much of a case. Lewa possesses no distinctly male character traits (and he has a few that can be both masculine and feminine). Additionally, as BIONICLE never really placed romantic love high on its priority list (in either generation), arguing that this decision was made for “shipping reasons” seems rather incongruous.

One final point: if I am recalling correctly, TTV’s canon for BRICKONICLE transforms the Toa Mata into figures reminiscent of the Avatar from Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra–beings who are continually reincarnated in new forms, who each possess prior identities before becoming Toa. Thus, Lewa is a female only in her current form, and thus could have been a male in the past, and can be a male in the future. None of this rings as gender-biased to me (though I may need to be corrected on my understanding of the G3 canon).

Overall, I have a hard time finding a logical reason for the offense this decision has created, just as I found little reason for the anger that surrounded actual LEGO decisions, like the switch from Air to Jungle. BIONICLE is meant to be open-ended and malleable. That’s part of its utility as a LEGO brand, as kids can make up whatever stories they want with their sets and characters. The TTV cast has just as much of a right to alter the story in their own fan project as any of those children do. Their status as the representatives of a site with some authority in the fan base doesn’t obligate them to leave any aspect of the BIONICLE story intact when they are pursuing their own entertainment and creativity.

12 Likes