Xoth - cowardly scholar (Gilahu's BP Makuta revamps)

Name: Xoth
Kanohi: Rau, Great Mask of Translation
Assigned region: None

Backstory:

Opinions on Xoth varied drastically within the Brotherhood. Some saw him as one of their greatest scholars in the field of Rahi studies, others called him a coward and a shame for the Makuta species.
Himself not being a remarkable Rahi creator, Xoth rather spent his time studying the Rahi his brethren created – most of all their behavior, intelligence and social interactions. The dissertations he wrote soon became a standard reference work for the Traditionalists, the faction within the Rahi creators that sought to establish working ecosystems within the Matoran Universe. In fact Xoth’s writings were so numerous and well received that a whole section of Destral’s library was dedicated to his work, which at the time of Xoth’s death encompassed information about nearly every breed of Rahi created up to that point, even including extinct ones.
In person Xoth was a rather unusual Makuta, however. Tending to stutter when nervous – which he almost always was when he had to talk to someone – he also was outright afraid of some of the more intimidating Makuta, in particular warriors like Icarax or Jarnat. Luckily for him they hardly ever visited the library where Xoth spent most of his time. He even was appointed Head Librarian (because no one else wanted the job) after Sachel’s death.

Strangely enough it was a warrior who became Xoth’s closest friend – Makuta Isthra. She started helping Xoth out and reprimanded those who made fun of him – in return apparently being content with Xoth’s company. Many of the other Makuta shook their heads at this, seeing it as a waste of Isthra’s time and talent, but in the end accepted it.

At the Convocation Isthra immediately sided with Miserix, expecting Xoth to follow her. Seeing all those warriors and power hungry scientists side with Teridax (who himself made Xoth extremely uneasy whenever he visited the library), however, Xoth just couldn’t bring himself to draw their attention upon him, thus siding with Teridax when it was clear he’d win.

Isthra immediately fled after the Convocation. Expecting to never see her again, Xoth threw himself into his work, until almost a year later Isthra suddenly appeared in the library, trying to persuade him to go with her into exile and prepare to overthrow Teridax and his followers one day.
It was at this point that the two were suddenly confronted by Gorast and Icarax – who had kept Xoth under observation in case Isthra returned. The fact that he was talking to Isthra instead of attacking her was enough for Gorast to kill Xoth immediately while Isthra actually managed to defeat Gorast temporarily before succumbing to Icarax. Both their masks were later placed on the wall of the Convocation chamber next to those of the other “traitors” – Hormakh, Kindrix, Nevantar, Napak and Furtaan – marking the end of the internal purge after the Convocation.

Size comparison:

MOC and backstory based on @Willess12’s Makuta Xoth (old version)

It was great fun trying to use Mata blue for once - even though the original used more light blue. But since I wanted to use the Great Rau as well as had more Mata blue… Otherwise I don’t have much else to say. I like how this turned out and think it fits the character.

Group shot incoming (11+2 done):

At some point I’ll have to figure out how to do better group shots… they’re getting too many.
Erdorn will probably be posted tomorrow

42 Likes

Sweet! Full of personality!

2 Likes

It’s amazing how much this MOC flows together. Incredible work.

3 Likes

This pretty sweet, I like the pose in the first picture.

1 Like

This might be the first of your mocs that looks better without the cape, imo. The way the cape forms a V on the chest just looks a little odd to me.

Other than that though, it looks good. I particularly like the legs, those look really nice (though that light grey bushing on the knees bugs me, but I’m not sure what could be done about that). The elbows do look a little off due to to the light blue and the way it’s positioned, but that’s a minor nitpick

Overall, I have to say that, as far as the moc goes, I prefer it over both of my versions.

Also, as a side note, I really like that shot of him with Isthra’s spear. He looks contemplative. Perhaps Isthra left it behind when she left, and he views it as a reminder of his friend? Or it could be from an AU where he outlived Isthra?

As far as the story goes: I had originally imagined Xoth as a Rahi creator, but I have to say I like the idea of him as a shy writer more, it’s more unique. I doubt this was intentional, but you’ve pretty much made him into what I would be like as a Makuta, which seems rather fitting somehow.

~W12~

1 Like

Exactly what I imagined, too :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah… custom lower arms in this scale are a pain to build. I guess had the elbows been black they might have fitted in better, but on the other hand I needed some more light blue. From the back where there is more light blue showing they probably look better.

Well, those pieces exist in black, too - but they’re not only super rare (were included only in 1 set if I remember correctly?) but also quite expensive for what you get.
So again not ideal but the best compromise, I guess.

Come to think of it it really is a shame that for once I’ve built a MOC that could use all the blue pinaxles I wanted without it looking weird and then I hardly use any that actually show…

Revamp? Would have loved to see what he looked like originally, because right now he looks believeable.

Thing I like the most from this… His cape.

1 Like

Absolutely a very solid moc in every technical aspect. Compared to the other Makuta you’ve made, though, Xoth really doesn’t stand out or have any unique qualities- though that may have been the intention, based on his backstory. My only critique of the set would be the positioning of the cape, which, as others have mentioned, sits rather oddly upon the shoulders. I’d almost like to see how it looks off to one side, like how Garmadon wears his thing in the Master Falls set.

The story is quite the opposite in terms of uniqueness; rarely do I see such traits as nervousness or a strong friendship integrated so centrally in a Makuta’s backstory, and the change is a welcome one. I do feel like the millennia between certain events could use more fleshing out to make him feel more real, although I recognize much of said information would be disregarded for the book of the Brotherhood entry anyway.

Great job once again!

2 Likes