2015 sets -- better or worse than expected?

I mostly didn’t like it because her Kanohi doesn’t look feminine at all and mostly looks like Takadox’s head.
I don’t have much of a problem with the rest of the set, and it’s not that the mask doesn’t resemble the original Gali Mata, it’s just it doesn’t look very good in general to me.

4 Likes

I think it’s a wonderful mask - just not for Gali.

2 Likes

Did you have any expectations about the line to begin with, or did you think LEGO can never do a good job, is what I’m asking.

I don’t like Gali’s new mask, dosen’t feel like Gali

Alright, here’s my stance on Gali’s mask: I like it. I can definitely understand why people aren’t a fan of it, but as far as I’m concerned, Gali has NEVER had a “proper” updated Kaukau. Her Nuva mask was polarizing AT BEST and her Mistika mask was despised by the vast majority of the fandom.

The original Kaukau still reigns supreme, of course; I’m not going to try and say that I like her new mask more than her original because I really don’t. In comparison to her other two Kaukaus, though… I actually like it quite a lot.

-Mesonak

10 Likes

I like every set here. The only set that really bothers me is the Water Protector. Those rotors…I just hate rotors.

But those trans-blue propellers could be of use, though.

1 Like

Oh boys. These sets are certainly something.

I personally don’t understand the hate for the new Eljay set… Besides Omega Tahu, he’s the one that looks the best IMHO. He looks agile, exactly like he should.

I’d be lying if I said I loved Aussie Pohatu… He’s not bad by any means, but he feels a little generic compared to the others and their unique builds. Plus, as has been said before, the trans-yellow looks somewhat out-of-place.

Lhikan looks exactly as he should. Pocket Meso rates 12.5/10.

Ice Batman is awesomesauce from the waist up. Go below that, and, well…

Onewa is really just purple CHI Gorzan from the looks of it. I’ll probably still get him, though.

Smurfette isn’t as bad as everyone else says she is, though she still looks more like blue Aquagon than Toa Golly to me.

The Protectors are all amazin’ raisins. Their builds are all vastly different, and I like that.

Skull Krata/Lord of the Spiders/Lord of Skull Spiders/That Thing In My Attic has a chestplate for a face. That’s all that needs be said.

Overall, these sets are fantastic. I had my doubts, but these guys (and gal) greatly surpassed my expectations. I really love them, and I’ll be sure to buy as many as I can.

PS. Is it just me, or does Golly have triple-jointed arms?

3 Likes

Pardonnez-moi monsieur?
(Please clarify.)

Those are my names for the Toa. Ice Batman is Kopaka, Lhikan is Tahu, Onewa is Onua, Smurfette is Gali, and Eljay is Lewa. Perhaps I should have said that.

Ah, thanks. That was confusing.

1 Like

I really didn’t know what to expect with the sets, since I never bought a constraction set since Bionicle’s first run ended. I know nothing about this new system that apparently Hero Factory and Chima use, but all I heard is that those sets were too simple. The 2015 Bionicle sets look absolutely amazing, in my opinion, and I can’t wait to get them all.

I think it’s overall a mixed bag for me. On one hand I’m with Meso, I like the new parts and the look of the. Very Bionicle-y looking, which I’ve wanted back in HF for a while now. Then a couple of the sets look awesome, chiefly Tahu and Onua. Kopaka to for the most part, cept his weird looking legs. I hope that’s some kind of prototype tumor or something to be smoothed out by the final version. Gali and Lewa meh, nothing too spectacular for me. But Pohatu looks like ■■■. I don’t like him at all. But I am glad to see we’re getting more brown again.

The defenders are okay to. The earth one’s the coolest though. he’s got a gun in his chest, how’s that not awesome?

Expectations though…I was expecting a lot more of a mata throw back though. I knew they were going to still use the CCBS, but thought they’d try and give it a Toa Mata flavoring.I’m surprised at how fundamentally different they actually are, so I’ll say they exceeded my expectations in that regard.

I’m forever calling him “Toa Poohatu: Master of potties” though cause he looks like a turd though. XD Brown and trans yellow together, gee I wonder what that looks like together. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I can see your point, very well said. That said, I happen to disagree with you. Her original Kaukau had a scuba gear type look, and I feel that it would go great with the look of these sets, especially with the way the water protector has the turbines. That said, it wouldn’t be impossible to buy an original kaukau and rigging it onto the new body is some way.

2 Likes

I really liked the first 2 masks that Gali had

What about MOCing potential? Do you think the new parts (especially the mysterious heads and masks) will be of any use?

2 Likes

The new armor, yes definitely. Its much more mechanical looking, and we’ve not had any parts like that since 2.0 with that big panel piece that I got from jetbug but I know it came on a bunch of other’s to. So those will be great fore more mechanical machinery looks to figures and vehicles(which sadly people don’t build that much).

I was talking to someone on skype when the reveal launched the first thing I said about Artakha’s mask is “ooo flip it upside down and you’ve got teeth.” My friend called it “Aztec Breez” and she’s not wrong. XD

The other toa’s masks are masks I think they’ll be as useful as any given mask can be if not used as a mask. it could be shoulder armor or its particular shape can fill an area nicely.

The one part I’m probably most excited for is Onua’s hammer and is also his shoulder armor. nice big flat machiny looking piece? YISS. The new pips blaster looks nice to(English lego fans call 1x1 round studs pips so I’ve heard). I like that that’s a continuation on the little minifigure pip blaster. I love that part seeing a gatling gun style one is just awesome. Can’t wait to get some of those to. The weapons on Kopaka and tahu definitely look bionicly, I get a Blue Vahki(I don’t remember it’s name) vibe from that piece. And I like that it fits the HF flamy electro energy piece inside it to. That’s cool when they make new parts around old parts. Overall I’m just really excited for all the new parts.

2 Likes

Lets be honest here: does ANYONE remember the names of all the bad guy clone sets (Vahki, Bohrok, Rahkshi, etc)?

2 Likes

Never. xD And even if I did, they had too many random H’s in there and I could never remember where to put them.
As for the 2015 sets, I didn’t have very high expectations given what Hero Factory is/was, so I was very impressed.

1 Like

LOL RIght? Lehhhhheeeerahhhhhkkkkkhh? I just say “blue Vahki,” or White “Rahkshi” for example.

2 Likes