3 Stars Prototypes from Rare UK Commercials

Edit: Alternative Draft Builds from Rare UK Commercials

13 Likes

We need to do some serious digging on this.

2 Likes

for some reason I find myself wishing this didn’t exist

4 Likes

I’ve seen those before, I highly doubt they’re prototypes. It seems more likely that these are just the stars armour hastily thrown onto Inika build cgi models. Notably, Takanuva features no thigh armour whatsoever and Tahu’s shoulder armour is an impossible connection.

9 Likes

def’ prototypes none the less

2 Likes

hmm, very interesting.

They all seem pretty close to the final models (just as inika builds instead of agori builds). That, plus the fact that they were featured in a commercial makes it seem like the switch to agori build was made at the last minute.

(EDIT: after reading some replies in this topic, I no longer think that these are prototypes, but rather, just poorly done advertisements. Still a pretty cool find though.)

2 Likes

If you look here it’s apparent that not only is Takanuva using a Glatorian head (which isn’t physically possible), his shoulder armour is attached to nothing and is just floating there.

3 Likes

There’s the possibility that they used glue to attach the mask, but yeah, it being CGI seems more likely.

(EDIT: I looked at the title of the video again and it says it’s CGI, so nevermind)

Still intriguing, though.

2 Likes

prototypes are prototypes for a reason
almost anything in it’s early stages doesn’t make sense before it makes sense

also peep the chest armour

we can all agree on 1 thing though, all of 'em look cursed

EDITED FOR DOUBLE POST - Spiderus Prime

1 Like

The chest armour just looks to be the Stars armour piece fairly poorly enlarged and stretched outwards.

3 Likes

i still don’t understand why you’re denying the fact that those are prototypes

2 Likes

careful, triple posting and language

3 Likes

Now we know how Toa Mata should have looked in Inika scale. Pretty interesting material, but very weird also.

4 Likes

Even if they were bad, look at it this way. The re-colors. Not a mocist myself but I can see those orange metru legs being incredibly useful. Same for the mantax feet.

3 Likes

Ooh I’m scared of these

1 Like

There are some rough areas, sure, but overall I don’t think they look that bad.

That bigger version of the torso armor piece would be pretty nice to have, too.

3 Likes

Because they’re not. A prototype is “The first or preliminary version of a device or vehicle from which other forms are developed.”

This is not the first version of the Stars. This is Nicktoons shoddily slapping Stars armour onto recoloured Vastus skeletons in an attempt to make the sets more dynamic for their advertising campaign.

9 Likes

How do you know that?

If these designs came from Lego in any way, shape, or form, they’re prototypes.

2 Likes

Theory time. A possible the reason the stars were av-matoran build is because well hero factory. Why would a kid pick up a canister William Furuno compared to this tahu. Also it would seem a little fast to destroy the other molds that soon. By 2011 I could see them being destroyed but by 2010. its iffy to me at best.

3 Likes

I don’t know for certain, but it’s extremely unlikely that these were ever intended to be the Stars.

For starters, the base frame is very clearly just Vastus recoloured. Nektann differs slightly by using clawed feet and Takanuva uses shorter biceps, but otherwise their frames are identical to Vastus’, even down to the upper torso being attached backwards.
Second, there are many, many parts which can’t physically be connected. As previously mentioned, Takanuva features floating armour and a Glatorian head, Tahu also shows off Stars armour being impaled into the side of standard-length bones and Nektann’s spine is a complete mess.
Thirdly, and perhaps most obviously, they all feature Stars armour that looks like it’s been stretched in Blender to absurd proportions. Tahu’s Hau and Nektann’s face appear similarly stretched to fit in their head pieces, looking even more ridiculous.

I think it’s very clear that these abominations were made by Nicktoons themselves. If you take a deeper look, you’ll find that they previously did Glatorian Legends commercials for Lego in the same style as these.
I can only imagine that Lego told them to make more commercials for the Stars and sent over their cgi files. The animators quickly realised how limited their articulation was, prompting them to rip a few bits off them, stretch them to the right size and hastily slap them on the frame of one of the already existing Glatorian models. With the models ready, all that was left to do was just chuck the models in the exact same background as their Glatorian commercials and narrate over the stiff animation.

10 Likes