#4: Frost Thrall (Biowave Project)

#The Biowave Project: The Elemental Thralls

Hostile forces begin to stir on Valda Nui as powerful elemental creatures rise from the dark corners of the island, relentlessly and aggressively defending mysterious crystal obelisks.

#Part 4: Frost Thrall

_Concept art by @Scorpion_Strike and Saronicle

Suddenly avalanches and ice bridge collapses have become much more abundant in New Ko-Koro. This hulking beast, which draws power from refined ice to surround itself in impenetrable blizzards, is surely to blame.

Story details will be highlighted in bold.

##Overview

The Elemental Thralls take inspiration from the most iconic design features of both generations of Bionicle, especially from those of the 2001 Rahi, using unique aesthetics and functions while also providing a more clean and cohesive aesthetic.

Element: Ice
Theme: Yeti
Main Adversary: Ehrye
Approximate Parts Count: 325
Functions: Swinging arms, grasping fingers, snapping jaw
Inspiration: Storm Beast (arm function), Umarak the Destroyer (fingers function), Skyrim Frost Troll (theme)

##Build

The Frost Thrall is the only humanoid beast in this series, and uses a more Constraction-based build to create an imposing and hulking figure.

Check out the video below to see a time-lapse of the set’s construction:

Thumbnail by @Xeros610, intro music by @Cazapar

##Functions

The Frost Thrall features three functions: swinging arms, grasping fingers and a snapping jaw.

Check out the video below to see the functions in action:

Thumbnail by @Xeros610, intro music by @Cazapar

##Behind the Scenes

Click here for more behind the scenes images, including LDD models of the set.

##Thrall Archive

Follow the links to view the other Thralls:

05/07 - Storm Thrall
05/10 - Wind Thrall
05/14 - Sand Thrall
05/17 - Frost Thrall
05/21 - Lava Thrall
05/24 - Quake Thrall

##Next Time: The Lava Thrall

##More Sets

Follow the links to view the Biowave Project’s earlier sets:

##The Biowave Project - a Bionicle Community Initiative

The Biowave Project is a community initiative bringing talented members of the Bionicle community together to develop sets, art and narrative content for an expanded Generation 1 storyline.

##Announcing the Biowave Monthly MOC Programme

For this coming holiday period, the Biowave Project will be showcasing new sets at least once a month.
Next month will mark the return of the Toa Takha in their newest forms.

##Reclamation - a Bionicle Webcomic Series

The Biowave Project’s very own webcomic series, featuring characters from the project’s many sets, will also be arriving to the Boards this summer.
Keep an eye out for updates coming with the next series of sets.

###Rate This MOC

0 voters

###Favourite Thrall So Far?

• Storm Thrall
  • Wind Thrall
  • Sand Thrall
  • Frost Thrall
0 voters
41 Likes

The functions on this are very nicely done

Looks awesome. The functions work smoothly here.

For some reason this is my least favorite Thrall. Must be because I never was too big a fan of apelike creatures - because I can’t really say that anything doesn’t work with this MOC. Functions work well, the armoring looks really good and it gets the Yeti look across.

An interesting decision to go humanoid, but I think in the end, it works really well

Are you sure it’s not because you had less input on this one? :wink:

1 Like

Gadzooks! It’s the Bumble!

This has to be my second favorite Thrall so far, I love the functions, and how smooth they look. I will say the head could look better, and so could the fingers, but besides that I like this MOC.
I’d give it a 4.7/5, since there’s only a few things I don’t like about it.

Perhaps subconciously :stuck_out_tongue:.

1 Like

More standard than the others, but still the same high quality standard. I like the side pistons, and the Storm Beast kind of function. The fingers are interesting, too. You really seem to be churning these guys out, and I’m definitely looking forward to the Lava Thrall.

1 Like

And the Lava Thrall is looking forward to you too (and by that I mean eating you) :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I was a bit curious as to what animal you might choose for this Thrall and, needless to say, I’m quite surprised. The idea of a yeti-like creature is interesting, even if it is more humanoid in appearance. The Storm Beast esq function looks appropriate here and I’m glad that possibility in the arms isn’t inhibited by lack of friction. Overall, good work!

1 Like

Obviously the best by far, I love the style, as well as the small detailing.

Now THAT is a Frost Trolll

It’s coming in a bit late but here’s some concept art of the Frost Thrall by @Scorpion_Strike and Saronicle.

5 Likes

that looks pretty cool

nuff said

2 Likes