Abaasies, Elemental Dragons

Many creatures have earned the respect and the fear of all who share its habitat. The ash bear, the tahtorak, the rock lion, the kikanalo, the Kanohi dragon, their reputations are certainly well-deserved. But few creatures in this world are as fearsome as the entities known as abaasies.

My information on these creatures is scarce, as it is almost impossible to get within a certain radius of them without them noticing you, but from what I have been able to gather, an abaasy is a massive elemental dragon whose power in its respective element can put all but the most experienced Toa to shame. It is believed that these creatures are highly intelligent–to the point that Matoran do not even classify them as Rahi–but of course it is never safe to approach an abaasy, so no one has dared to make any attempts to communicate with one. What I can tell you with confidence is that, if you hear word that an abaasy is nearby, you are to take shelter immediately, preferably underground, and stay hidden until at least one hour after the last of the commotion has come to a stop.

It is unknown how many abaasies are in existence, but I have been able to confirm the existence of three, which will be detailed below.

Aion, The Phoenix King

Aion (AI-on) is an abaasy of fire and the first of his species that is known to have been discovered. Survivors of encounters with him have not only described his body as being “made of the fire he commands,” but that he seemingly seeks out new territory to raze, like a tyrant invading a neighbor, and as such have granted him the nickname The Phoenix King. Aion and the two others listed below appear to be working together as part of the same pack, with him as the leader of the trio.

Theresia

Theresia (teh-RES-see-ah), believed to be a younger sister, is an abaasy of wind. Her attack patterns apparently vary wildly from her elder brother. Rather than usually causing any damage directly herself, survivors have described her as taking on something of a support role in attacks; she appears to be the most calculative of the trio and makes moves to increase the damage caused by Aion. In simple terms, she’s usually the one fanning the Phoenix King’s flames. Because of this, even though she is seemingly less aggressive, one would be wise to take proper precautions if she is near.

Ozychlyrus

Ozychlyrus (oh-zee-KLAI-rus), believed to be a younger brother, is an abaasy of lightning. While is not as powerful as Aion or as cunning as Theresia, he is, with little doubt, the most aggressive of the trio. With that aggression comes impulsiveness, which one would hope would prove to be a detriment to the abaasy; but, fittingly for his element, Ozychlyrus is the fastest of his siblings, meaning he can move quickly enough to make up for almost any mistake he makes.

What can you do if you encounter an abaasy? As stated before, the best thing to do is to hide and wait for the danger to pass. But if you are a Toa or a being whose strength is comparable to that of one, and are part of a powerful team, you might–just might–be able to defend your territory from an abaasy. Again, I must stress that abaasies are large; the Toa of Earth in this scenario is only able to size up because of his Kanohi Suuri, Mask of Growth while his teammates are normal size.

None who have ever fought an abaasy and lived to tell the tale have ever been successful in killing one, so it seems that the only option is to convince it to flee. Of course, this hypothetical is only for fighting one abaasy. None have ever dared tried fighting two at once, let alone all three known specimens. And who’s to say there aren’t more out there?

23 Likes

I like how all three of these can be built with real pieces. Good designs for the most part, although the open ball joints at the end of the wings are very unsightly.

4 Likes

those head build look really smart, mind if I could get a close up?

1 Like

I’ve always found Studio builds that can theoretically be constructed irl to be more rewarding.

They’ve never bothered me personally, though I can see why you say that. Unfortunately, I can’t think of any good way of covering them.

8 Likes

Ooh these mocs look pretty cool! I like the builds and lore, nice job!

Though the ball joints on the ends of the wings are a bit unsightly.

1 Like

thxs man, its as clever as I thought it would be

1 Like

ooo this is super cool!

1 Like

I agree, particularly the teeth. Clever way of controlling their length

2 Likes

Again, not sure how to cover them up but they don’t particularly bother me so I never tried.

2 Likes

The head design is really smart!

1 Like

Excellent builds all around, and I like the accompanying lore too. These feel very much like they fit in the world of BIONICLE to me. Nice work!

3 Likes

This is interesting and very mysterious. It feels like early to middle G1, having this feeling that was later lost. I like how each of these semi-animalistic giant dragons has a different personality, and how they tie to their elements. I like this being narrated from point of an in-universe scholar with incomplete information.

Abaasies fit this era and G1 setting in general well (If this is set in G1 at all), but their personal names are bit strange.

If this is set in G1, do Abaasies have their own spoken language distinct from Matoran tongue, and Rahi clicking noises? (I always thought there should be more languages in MU. Likely, these tongues are all related, being descendants of original language used to program Mata Nui.) Or do they speak Agori? The names would fit well with way Agori mostly sounds like, a vague mix of Latin and Greek, and it would make Abaasies even more strange and mysterious.

Design captures the idea of a intelligent but wild and dangerous dragon well, with mix of humanoid and classical draconic form. I also noticed that more wild and hostile an Abaasy in story is, more animalistic is their design. Is that intentional? On details, I like the design of head with horns. Also, colors contrast nicely. Choices of colors fit the concept, combining with strange anatomy to give them an otherworldly aura.

1 Like

These MOCs were originally created for another idea I have that has nothing to do with Bionicle, but I figured they could work in Bionicle pretty well so I brought them over. :wink:

I would imagine that the abaasies have their own language that they speak amongst themselves and that there are unconfirmed reports from survivors that they are able to speak the Matoran language–similar situation to the Zyglak, I think. Of course, these reports will probably remain unconfirmed for a very long time.

As mentioned before, these characters were not originally envisioned as Bionicle characters so my process for naming them was very different from my norm (“Aion” and “Ozychlyrus” are characters from the Xenoblade Chronicles games, and “Theresia” is inspired by a species from that series). As you mentioned, I think this works in their favor because even the names alone make them feel more alien.
Also, I would not rule out the possibilities of them speaking Agori or even having them originating outside of the Matoran universe, which would only add to their lack of Rahi classification.

Partially. The builds are almost all identical other than the colors, so I tried to evoke their personalities in their renders: Aion is a powerful King who commands respect; Theresia is calm, collected, and calculating; and Ozychlyrus is practically her opposite: quick-to-anger, impulsive, and destructive.

4 Likes