Ancient Machines (G3 Toa vehicles concept)

An action theme needs Vehicles, and they can’t all be the villains,
so I set out to create vehicle designs for the toa that wouldn’t rustle everyone’s jimmies.
taking design inspiration from the g1 rahi and vehicles, as well as the g2 creatures, and the aesthetic style of the sheikah tech in Botw as a base.

“Sandstormer”(?)

• 10 elemental cannons
  • elemental claw blades
  • sand tread
  • pilot seat
  • lines “glow” when active

“Fast-Flyer”(?)

• possible flapping gimick?
  • uxar inspired wings
  • 4 elemental cannons

I realized during this process that I am incredibly rusty at art, and I’m not entirely happy with how these came out, as such, if anyone else wants to take a crack at creating vehicles I give my full support.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

19 Likes

the main problem with these designs is, as people would bring up, they are to similar to vehicles from Legends of Chima.

i think a better option would be to make them more alien in design rather than having them look to much like real life animals.

5 Likes

In that they’re based on animals? Because they look pretty different to me.
I legit didn’t remember those sets existed btw.

How would you make them more alien?

for the bird vehicle, remove the flapping wing gimmick and instead have the wings being able to fold themself in like the Ginivex-class starfighter:

folded in

folded out

though not in the same potition like it, here is an example i drew up:

the folded out form is for better mobility when flying while the folded in version is for better speed.

plus remove or shorten some of the other animal traits on the vehicles, like the beak on the bird one.

1 Like

Could you kindly explain how that would translate to Lego? I’m struggling to see how it would function.

OK, no, the beak stays, it’s a reference to the gukko and it creates a nice silhouette.

1 Like

A fold up wing-fuction, kind of like the recent Ninjago Lloyd’s NRG Dragon. The wings are built on a Technic frame that kind fold in and out, and fabric pieces are placed over the frames.

2 Likes

The problem with that is it doesn’t really fit the almost, mechanical statue design I was going for.

1 Like

Though a bit rough around the edges visually, I do like the general silhouettes of both. The “Fast Flyer” could perhaps take a few more visual ques from the Gukko, notably the long, slender body, to give it a more alien prescience (I myself though the vaguely serpentine look of the body made the Gukko kinda stand out). Besides that I do really enjoy the concept presented here.

TBH I would have just stuck them on giant re-imaginings of the creatures from G2 instead of vehicles; but I do suppose that you’re right in that vehicles would have been needed eventually, and these are good designs. I’d keep them totally free of wheels or treads to make them feel less like normal vehicles, and have them move about only via their wings or legs. This would make them feel less futuristic while still enabling them to keep a vehicular feel.

Yeah, looking at it I think you have a point, a more serpentine body would look better, It’d probably also have the current wings split into 4 like the gukko as well. Tbh, it was significantly underdeveloped compared to the sandstormer in my head.

I mean, visually that’s effectively what I did, I think massive legendary animals would become the solution to every problem, at least with vehicles you can enable limitations so the toa don’t just constantly use them for everything.

That was more the 01 rahi seeping in, namely the legendary sand tarakava, I was also thinking of giving tahu a vehicle visually similar to the muaka.

So, rather than fighting with art academy for a half hour each for these I’d rather spend 5-10 minutes sketching them traditionally, which granted means less color, but it also means the effort I’m putting in is worth what’s coming out.
But I digress,

The snowstormer,
the companion to the sandstormer, because kopaka and pohatu are bros I wanted the machines to reflect that in a way.

2 Likes

Why everybody make vehicles who looks like animals for G3? Plus, why the Fast-Flyer is blue when it is Lewa’s vehicle?

Because it matches the tribal theme presumably, making the machines resemble animals makes sense.

It’s green, the energy is sky blue to tie it more to the element air,
much like how the energy for stone is orange, and ice is dark blue,
earth is lime green, fire is probably yellow,
I’d probably go with magenta for water because of the focus on coral that’s been happening.

Maybe? Eah… I don’t quite like it…

From a visual standpoint white and sky blue highlights would certainly help associate the Le tribe with air, these designs were preliminary anyway, especially the fast-flyer, it would be easy enough to scale back the amount of blue moving forward.

But why you didn’t make it green?