Are video games art?

Yes, it does.

People in general will look down on games until they come to be accepted as art.

And when a lot of people look down on them, those who enjoy them are also frowned upon, and all sorts of silly controversies over content arise.

5 Likes

Definition of art by Merriam-Webster:

“something that is created with imagination and skill and that is beautiful or that expresses important ideas or feelings”

I think video games fit this criteria. Some more than others, yes, but I do feel like any game with creativity and thoughtfulness can by considered art (Sorry, Call of Duty fans /s)

Game series like Fire Emblem and Legend of Zelda really convince me of this

4 Likes

I express a lot of feelings from Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels.

3 Likes

Yes I judge them now, its not gonna be the same or even Mass Effect. And its EA, I dont freaking care if I hurt their feelings.

don’t forget life is strange

I just recently beat Episode 4. I’m sure the last episode will be a whopper.

1 Like

For my final English project this semester, I have written about why Video Games are a legitimate art form. A visual presentation was required for the class, so I made this video (which is a director’s cut, I’ll have to trim it down to use in class :joy:).

What did you think of the video? Do you agree with my points? Do you have other examples I could’ve used (especially if you’re an Xbox fan)? I’d love to get some feedback.

5 Likes

Great work! I’ve never even played Drawn to Life, but that is some heavy stuff for a game marked six and up.

So how does this one fit into the plot? :stuck_out_tongue:

:grimacing: Ugh. That thing. From what I’ve heard it’s not that great of a game. I can believe it since it’s not done by the same dev team. It was made just for the money. Still, no matter how bad Spongebob Drawn to Life is, the Wii game has got to be worse. Terrible game. I have mixed feelings about even mentioning it in the video.

1 Like