Artakha (Meet the Maker)

Artakha, Lord of Creation

It’s with great pleasure that I can finally reveal my entry for the Artakha contest. This is a moc of my own design, taking the tall and imposing criteria to the max! I hope you like what you see, and be sure to vote for it in the coming polls (if it qualifies).

[Main Pic]

You may notice the colour scheme pushes the boundaries of what the rules suggest, but I feel the 60% outwardly green rule still stands. The cloth is probably going to be a point of contention, however removing it would sacrifice the moc’s character, so it’s staying put for now.

[Turn-around]

Apologies for the subpar backdrop: as the moc’s height is too great to fit in my lightbox, drastic action had to be taken, resulting in an entirely new setup than I’m used to. With any luck, you can still make out the construction despite the lack of contrast.

[Misc. Poses]

I wanted to emphasize the ethereal nature of this god-like being, so elongated limbs, neck and fingers gives the design an other-worldly look, creating an aura of mystery and grace.
Also, the mask is a brick-built design, as many pre-fab masks often have a predefined sense of character that can carry over onto the moc, an issue I feel my Helryx suffered from in the previous contest. It’s inspired by the G2 Mask of Creation, but is more simplified to make it easier to swap out for alternatives should the need arise.

[Breakdown Album]

The build is quite complex, and is not the easiest to pose, hence the lack of any real action shots. I hope the breakdown provides a bit of insight as to how I make mocs (i.e throw parts at the wall and see what sticks)!

[Bonus Material]

Some sketches showing my working process. I started with a mask concept before developing the basic shape & silhouette of Artakha, ending with a “final” sketch with part usage listed.

Thank you for checking out my entry! Even if it isn’t accepted, I hope I can inspire others to participate :smiley:

88 Likes

I swear if you all don’t vote for this one you gonna catch these hands :clap:

14 Likes

Looks great

what set are the cloth pieces from?

How sturdy is it?

Ok new favorite entry here lol. Absolutely adore the alien feel, hope it wins!

2 Likes

as long as it’s official LEGO you’ll be fine. Otherwise I believe it’s grounds for disqualification.

Looks epic! The sketches are beautiful btw

The cloth is from this set here. Not easy to come by on Bricklink either!

Those sketches are heavenly, and the build itself is equally so

3 Likes

Then you should be fine. Wonderful MOC and artwork!

1 Like

This is it, this is the winner.

1 Like

Fairly sturdy. I hid the friction joints under the skirt so that the structure doesn’t sacrifice the look of the model.

1 Like

The sketchwork is absolutely fantastic, you really planned this one out and it shows. Well done, definitely one of the best. Good luck!

-Solaris Magnus

3 Likes

This has such a regal but alien feel, I love it! Also I am such a sucker for when people include concept art, it’s so neat to see the ideas behind it.

5 Likes

I really like the look of this one. Looks like a Protoss, and I love me some Protoss. The only thing I don’t exactly like is the mask. I’m not one for custom heads, it rarely looks good to me, but this is one of the better custom heads I’ve seen.

Also those are some crazy looking sketches you made. They look absolutely amazing

Clever. This is a really beautiful build both construction wise and in terms of thematic consideration. Great work!

This is the best one

Thanks for the comparison, that’s some high praise! As with the head, bear in mind the mask will be decided on later, so it’s bound to be different should it get through

Maybe this isn’t how I picture Artakha, but it is a really interesting concept. I dig your take on the character.

1 Like

Well done! I have a feeling that this will win, and if so, That’ll be a lot of pieces I have to buy to make this

2 Likes