Artakha, The Creator (Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker)

Here is my interpretation of Artakha, the greatest forgemaster of the Matoran Universe and the ruler of the island realm of Artakha, built for the second canonisation contest! That’s my biggest BIONICLE G1 MOC and the hardest challenge in my MOCing experience by far!

Action poses:

Note: I’m really happy with the way how the back turned out, just look at that spine!

Size comparison:

Turnaround:

Hammer:

those two black pieces connect the hammer to the hand

Ok, let’s find out how to build this guy

Breakdown:

frame:

closer look at the torso inner workings:

shin armour:

chest and back armour:

other armour:

foot:

hand:

hammer:

As a conclusion, I’d like to say that Artakha is probably my favourite thing I’ve built so far.
Also, I have found the perfect backdrop and settings for my photos , so expect to see my future MOC posts with that

Please tell me what you think about the MOC :smile:

66 Likes

This… now THIS is what i wanted out of the Artahka contest. This bad boy has my vote.

8 Likes

This is almost exactly how I’ve always imagined Artakha would look! You know what, forget the contest; this is canon to me now :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Obviously there are still a lot of entries to come, but I suspect that this will be close to the top of my list, if not at the top. This does a good job of being large and powerful without being too wide.

And I like that the hammer head isn’t ridiculously oversized.

The use of the Proto Pitons is nice as well.

I’m one of those people who’d like the model to be sand green, but I might be able to overlook that for this awesome build. (Yes, I know that the Art can recolour the model, but still. I want consistency.)

5 Likes

This is extremely well made, It’s really cool! I’m not sure if anything will ever top @Frigin’s for me, but this is an extremely close second, if Frigin’s gets voted off, this one’s my definite backup.
I don’t think I’ve seen those fingers anywhere before. What piece is that?

1 Like

It’s typically used in the piston engines in Technic sets, as the piston piece.

2 Likes

You have my vote. This is by far my favorite.

1 Like

Very well done! Looks really good, and I love the creative use of so many uncommon parts.

1 Like

Wow. Excellent MOC, love the whole thing. Best of luck :slight_smile:

-Solaris Magnus

1 Like

That ribcage design grabbed my attention immediately. He’s a very blocky boi though; without a lot of motion in the torso compounded with the obvious technic beams. The spine seems to have a lot more of that motion (though isn’t in the reverse of how a human spine would curve?), so I don’t see why you can’t make the shoulders a few pieces wider.

2 Likes

I learned from the Helryx contest not to decide my votes too early, but man, this is by far the best Arthaka I’ve seen yet, and I have a hard time imagining a build that would better encapsulate his scale while still being the right colors.

(The painted-up mask is very nice, as well.)

1 Like

I don’t want to be that guy but I also think that it is important to enforce the contest rules. Unless I’m not seeing it correctly, the back of the legs utilize dark transparent green bohrok eyes.

afaik, this violates the rule that the MOC can only have one other shade of green, besides sand green (not including eye color). Other than that, nice work, and good luck!

Edit 2 years later: 2020 Atobri was so unbased and unepic :pensive:
This moc has some nice shaping and building techniques

2 Likes

The most interesting looking one by far. I can see this being Artakha after some artistic changes.

2 Likes

First up, thanks for the honest words, l really appreciate that :smile:

You are right, it was a questionable choice that had to be made because nothing else would fit there. On the other hand, it complements this part of Artakha’s description:

because it’s a flat surface you can put some custom rune stickers onto

It’s not exactly right, but very close. The curve is in the right place, but the actual human spine has another one right under it

That’s just my artistic choice :laughing:

Yes, that’s correct. These should be silver, but I’m not gonna reshoot every single picture, unless They ask me do so :joy:

5 Likes

This is a very well designed Moc, so I find it a shame that the blue pins, red axles, yellow bushings and red ball joints ruin the colour scheme so much. Especially around the back of the hips.
I’m not really a fan of the completely open, sticking-out ball joints on the back of the thighs either, but apart from those few things, I’d say this is very well-made.

Also, if I’m not mistaken, all painted pieces must be monochromatic, so you might have to quickly change out that mask.

I have simply ran out of those pieces in proper colours, I’m going to make a V2 when I get them

The mask is a placeholder, so I think that its colour doesn’t matter

4 Likes

Yee, Imma definately be voting this one.

Love the design really screams G1 titan set

1 Like

Very Michael Bay Transformers.

Also, the inked mask is really neat looking. I’ve always thought about taking a Citadel wash to masks, but never been sure how it’d turn out.

1 Like

It is a good entry, but the silhouette is too blocky for me. Good job regardless!

1 Like

You, my friend have earned yourself a vote.

1 Like