Artakha, the guy that makes the stuff (Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker)

You stole my vote, well done.

3 Likes

I think two CCBS parts and the amount of system parts are the least of your worries. The color blocking and large amount of painted parts probably won’t do Gadunka any favors when it’s time to vote. It might’ve been best if the sand green system parts were layered on top of grey/gunmetal technic, and just about all of the system parts used on this come in sand green.

The moc still looks like a titan at the end of the day, regardless of it having some system parts.

4 Likes

The more I look at it, the more I get lost in the intricacies of the build and creative usage of parts! :star_struck:

I would buy this as a set any day.

3 Likes

Ya I’m rather confused on where the CCBS = Bad thing comes from. I agree that for a G1 aesthetic, overuse of system and CCBS is a knock and may make the MOC not look like a BIONICLE, but it seems for some just using the pieces at all is an instant negative. They’re useful pieces and do have good synergy with G1 pieces and aesthetics.

As for the color blocking, I could see it being a negative. Construction and silhouette wise, this is near as perfect as it gets, but the color distribution could be a sticking point.

-Solaris Magnus

5 Likes

Indeed. It’s a different story with Artakha though, since he has sand green armor and there’s only so many parts in that color. If the system parts are implemented properly then I don’t see the problem. For example, I really like how these look on the forearms.

Agreed. You can apply system parts on something and it won’t prevent the creation from looking like something you’d see in G1.

7 Likes

@Kodiak, @Solaris_Magnus And I agree with both of you. System and CCBS are okay (look at my own Artakha MOC - it uses both) as long as they do not break the aethstetic. In my, absolutely personal, opinion, they really break the aethstetic in this very MOC (For examle, his forearm is almost fully covered with sytem). There are only 2 (or how many?) CCBS parts, but they are bretty big and really well seen, so they are kinda ± thing. Also (personal opinion time) I think that with rules given (sand-green as main color), there, most of the time, will be recolors from one green to the sand-green, and I wouldn’t count it as bad - it is just how it works. But in this MOC parts are recolored not into the sand-green, but in silver and gold (as far as I see) and I do count it as a cone. All I wanted to say, is that I do not like how (and how much) system used in this MOC, I do not feel the G1 and Artakha-ish aethstetic in it, and it is not enough green for my taste. In all other aspects (stability is unknown) it is a good MOC.

5 Likes

2:40

Stability is known

4 Likes

Thanks for the explaination, I understand and can agree with you there. I quite like this one, but in equal measure can see some flaws with it. The CCBS comment was more in general, just saw alot of people getting instant distaste seeing it, wasn’t directed at you!

And ya, I can agree, their are alot of “greebles” and different textures here!

-Solaris Magnus

2 Likes

This is far and away the best entry so far. Nicely done man.

4 Likes

I’m utterly blown away by this. This is a piece of art.

I’ll be honest, with Artakha being described as covered in runes and representing various cultures across the universe, I thought that would be something basically impossible to include in a MOC. You’ve clearly proven me wrong. The amount of detailing put into it is astounding, and not least of all because it doesn’t interfere with the possibility.

And the coloring! You include (from what I can see) at least 5 different colors, but it doesn’t doesn’t come out into a cluttered mess. Each one perfectly balances out the other, and helps contribute the overall flow of the MOC. And your hammer design is ingenious, full stop. Outside of just the mechanics of it, I personally like the inclusion of the UDD symbol on it. Just another fantastic detail on a majestic MOC.

5 Likes

Oookay, I’ve said it a lot, but this time I really mean it.

You have my top vote.

3 Likes

Mmm multiple back gears and “heart lights”. I like that.

The two side pistons around the narrow waist are very nice - it has hints of an up-scaled version of the Mata torso. Lore-wise it’s quite appropriate for elements of Artakha’s mechanics to appear in his creations, the Mata.

For balance, I’ll say I’m not really on board with the Mask of Creation being a dull grey. Doesn’t feel like a “creative” colour to me, though it does help the ancient feel. (Did it tarnish from a brighter original colour?)

We also know Artakha’s armour is covered in runes, which will have to be added in the art portion. But it’s hard to see where runes would fit on this build amongst the greebling, unless they are very small.

2 Likes

You read me perfectly on the colors; I’m glad.

With the three virtues symbol, I assume you mean the side of the hammer? I have to admit while it’s partly inspired by the symbol, it stops short of actually being it. When I was running through the options for parts to frame around the blue energy cap, I had an idea to try it with the two swirling claws but could never integrate two smaller blue dots on the sides in a satisfactory way. Without that I figured it wasn’t even worth mentioning as a selling point for the moc, so I’m impressed you actually caught that.

2 Likes

This is an incredible build, but there’s nowhere near enough green, to the point that I didn’t even notice it was there to begin with.

5 Likes

Hey, thanks so much for entering!

We were curious about some blurring in your entry photo, at the top of the hammer and the upper left corner of the mask. That blurring shows up in a couple other images. If you could elaborate, that would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

I really really want to love this moc, I mean I love the build, the poseability, the function, but I hate the color splashing, it is very inconsistent, and for me, breaks the moc’s whole aesthetics. It is awesome, and still one of the best of the entries, but without color consistency, it’s off.

5 Likes

I think the photo wasn’t focused right. Do you need a clearer one for the entry?

Gorgeous

2 Likes

i’m reading the comments on this one and i’m sorry but i’m not getting it. sure there are strong points (ie the chest i’m low-key pissed didn’t have a breakdown pic lol, not sure what that ring piece is), but god this looks so messy texturally. it really just feels like you started throwing random gold and sliver all over it. don’t get me wrong, i like the moc, just won’t be voting for it.

3 Likes

I like the three virtues symbol on the hammer.

2 Likes