Awhagaro, the Raging Storm (Samurai-inspired Bionicle MOC)

Hello everyone! Today I’d like to show you my most recent MOC, which I consider to be my best creation yet!

Here’s some information and a little bit of backstory for the character (I’m gonna keep it brief, since I don’t care about backstories of my characters and I want to talk more about my creative process behind the MOC):
Awhagaro is an ancient legendary warrior who has been protecting his homeland for centuries. He wields the elements of lightning, air and ice (it used to be psionics, but I decided that ice fits the “storm” theme a little better)
Awhagaro only appears when the island is in great danger and no one has ever seen him in peaceful time, so it’s still unknown if he actually exists or is just a legend made up by the island’s inhabitants to intimidate the ones who wish to invade the island. His origins are unknown as well, but some say that Awhagaro is a kaita comprised of a Toa of lightning, a Toa of air and a Toa of ice who somehow got stuck in the combined form, which explains his ability to wield three elements at once and his extraordinarily long lifespan (In my version of the Bionicle world normal Toa and matoran live to 150 years maximum, but in kaita form their lifespans are unlimited, although no three normal Toa can maintain their combined form for longer than ten minutes).
Oh, and credit for the truly amazing name “Awhagaro” goes to @Brickbot99, who came up with it.

Alright, I’m completely out of terrible lore and backstory for this character, so have some more pictures, I guess…

So, now I’m going to cover my design process for this MOC.

I’ve had ideas for a samurai-inspired Bionicle MOC for many years, since I’m a big fan of all kinds of medieval armour, especially samurai armour, but I wasn’t able to execute those ideas because of simple lack of skill, but a few months ago I decided that I had become a good enough of a MOCer to give such character design a try.
I was really serious about this MOC and wanted it to be as good as I could potentially make it, so I started my design process with some concept art, which I don’t do very often.
Only when I settled on a design I was happy about, I started working on the MOC itself. And now here you are, looking the finished result.

The build was inspired by many of @Bukkey’s MOCs from the ARMHEAD series. The inspiration wasn’t necessarily in the building techniques and design choices, more so in the shaping and silhouette. But I must admit, the ankle joints are very similar to the ones you see on his MOCs very often, it’s a very compact and stable design.

Awhagaro has a frightening amount of points of articulation: approximately 80!
“Why approximately?” you might ask. Well, I got tired counting them and must have missed a couple, but there’s no way I’m going to count them again…

25 of them are normal articulation such as knees, elbows, fingers, etc and the other 55-ish are nonsense like flaps, armour plates and individually articulated hair.

Normally, at this point I would write something akin to “thanks for viewing, tell me what you think” but it ain’t happening this time, since I’ve got a proposal to make:
you write a detailed review (Hawkflight-style) on this MOC and for it you get a :chocolate_bar:!
Unfortunately, Pakari has all the :cookie:, so I can’t really give you any of those.

Seriously though, I’m starving for constructive criticism on this MOC, since I’m eager to find out if it’s actually any good or not.

Alright, now it’s time for the usual:

That’s it for now, thanks for viewing and tell me what you think!

47 Likes

Holy-Thats amazing.I love it.

3 Likes

You nailed the ancient warrior look for sure, the parts usage and shaping are excellent.

2 Likes

Sweet lord this moc is fantastic, your ability to capture a balance between the samurai aesthetic and the mechanical design language of the Bionicle universe is amazing.

2 Likes

It’s like it’s Bionicle- but then it also is so incredibly different to anything from Bionicle. the articulated electric hair/cape thing is awesome. i just wonder- could we see a close-up of the head? because it’s kinda hard to see that underneath his amazing hat.

3 Likes

This is utterly beautiful.

It may seem that I am easily impressed with Mocs, and I am, but this takes it to another level. The amount of character you were able to pack into one moc with that size is mind boggling. The amazing parts usage and build leaves me wondering how on earth you were able to do it. The unique shape, the amazing color scheme, all of it, is just perfect. This is easily your best moc and one of my favorites I have seen.

2 Likes

This is so rad! The lightning hair turned out very well!

I am always very impressed by your creations

1 Like

Well, I want that candy, but I have no time at the moment…

don’t mind me … :yum::chocolate_bar:

2 Likes

I mean, it’s all amazing, but that toros and the hair are both just incredible.

2 Likes

VERY NICE MOC!!! :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
I love his color scheme, design, and blade’s structure!

1 Like

@MakutaOisli @TheMOCingbird @Atobe_Brick @Rukah @Bukkey thank you all very much!

@Brickbot99 thank you! And yeah, it was quite tricky to find a way to mash those two completely different aesthetics together, but I think that it somehow worked out in the end.

@Enbeanie thanks!

Here ya go:

I know that it’s nearly impossible to see his face in the pictures, but I can’t say that it was unintentional. Covering up the character’s face like this makes him look a lot more mysterious, which was the feel I was going for.
So, the face is nothing impressive really, but it gets the job of conveying that there’s at least something in there done.

@Cordax thank you very much! I really appreciate all the kind words!

You know, I’m not sure as well. I must admit, I can’t produce MOCs of this quality whenever I want, so I guess it was nothing but pure luck this time.

Oh, and here’s your :chocolate_bar:! I’m feeling generous today.

Fine, you can have it…I didn’t need the candy that much anyways :unamused:

But that doesn’t mean that I won’t be waiting for your review in the future :smirk:

9 Likes

No, i think it looks great! the minimalist look really works for him!

1 Like

yeah actually this works well for it

1 Like

This is just all kinds of fantastic. I love a good looking Samurai build and this really does the job so well.
The torso especially is beautiful, everything just flows so well.

2 Likes

Very cool moc, when I saw the drawing and you said that you would turn it into a build I was quite interested in seeing how you would do the lightning, which you ended up pull off really well, great job!

2 Likes

@Alucia thank you very much! You know, I’m quite pleased with the way the torso turned out. It was quite challenging to attach all those parts at crazy angles and add waist articulation while keeping the build sturdy, and, even though some things had to be compromised, it all worked out in the end.

@Eilrach thank you! Actually, regarding the lightning hair thing, it was the thing this whole project started with, and, when I was drawing the character, I already knew what pieces I was going to use for the hair later. So, the MOC was basically built around it…
Honestly, there’s at least one thing I would like to change in its construction: if I had more of those big lightning pieces I used on the front… uh, hair protrusions, I would use them on the back as well, but bricklink isn’t really an option for me, so I have to work with what I have.

4 Likes

How come?

most likely, um

m a h n e y

2 Likes

oh.
that makes sense

Like Winger said, it’s all money.

Bricklink’s shipping to where I live is outrageously expensive

5 Likes