Aza, Matoran of Carbon

Fleet of foot and quick to heal, Aza is equally at home on the kohlii field or the battlefield.

Aza here was made for the Elemental Bionicles Contest 2013’s entry round over on MOCpages. The contest required her to have an element from the periodic table and be under 10cm in height.

She is a (minor) character in the Cyclic Plane Storyline with only a passing role. What was most important here was a cool, compact design, some cool tools and action features!

Aza is the daughter of Kana and Orabmar, created through a special form of fusion awakened in all matoran and toa by Mata-Nui on a reformed Spherus Magna using the Ignika.

Aza grew up in Bazryghan, the newest city which grew up around the island of Korrothis which had crashed during the battle of Spherus Magna. Her mother was always rather distant and spoke only in riddles, so she spent most of her time with Orabmar, and shared his love of sports.

There comes a certain prestige when you are the daughter of not one but two toa heroes (even if neither of them had been heard of for centuries before they were restored by the Ignika), and Aza had a somewhat cocky, overconfident personality. Thankfully the powers of the Soulforge that gave Kana her elemental carbon abilities gave Aza the ability to heal more quickly from injury than other matoran.

Within a few years of taking up the sport of Kolhii, Aza was playing for her city’s team. Orabmar could not have been more proud of her, though it was not long after this that the Soulplague hit Spherus Magna, destroying Mata-Nui and all those bound to his spirit, which included Orabmar.

Later, during the War of the Weave, Aza took up arms and joined the army of the Knights of Spherus Magna under Irohs. She stayed on this side even after her mother switched sides and joined the rebels, since she never told her. Thankfully Aza survived the war and pretty much returned to her old life.

Aza has the most consistent colour blocking I’ve ever had on a MOC, with black for armour, grey for machinery beneath, blue for eyes and heartlight and orange for the pieces in her action feature!

With her kolhii stick in hand, you can pull down on the rods coming out of her shoulder and the spring part inside launches the stick forward and the ball goes flying! The function is ambidextrous too though I don’t know what good it does her shield arm.

She shield I had help with from my younger brother, who is now studying drama at university. He knows a lot about ancient weapons and things (he’s even recreated a suit of ancient greek armour) and helped me with the shield’s design. The green bit in the centre is the sporrel and the net stuff is called barding, and it worked out great.

Also those fins just fitted perfectly between the mask and the head.

Neck design (variant of) is from JANGBRiCKS

Aza’s backstory is based off the song New Lands by JUSTICE.

37 Likes

Nice, wierd requirement that the contest had to be under 10 centimeters though.

It’s meh. At least until I saw the weapons. But still I feel that it’s build doesn’t really reflect the personality written in the backstory.

@Zero It’s all very well you saying that, but it’s hardly constructive criticism. How would you suggest making her build better fit her personality?

@Sciencegiraffe Yeah. I think the restriction was there to keep in theme. The matoran were meant to be a “carbon tribe” kolhii team sort of dealio, like the old kolhii player sets:

3 Likes

The netting gives the shield a very interesting design

1 Like

Wow! At first I thought she simply used the '03 Matoran torso, because the shaping was almost identical. The fact that you managed to build a custom body that evokes that design is really impressive. The function is ingenious and simple, and the color scheme is great! I love how you gave the Ruru fins, and the weapons are sweet!

The backstory, as always, is excellently detailed and concise (much more so than my long-winded descriptions :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)…

Once again, well done!

1 Like

For the Great Kohlii Olymics, Matoran of Carbon, Aza! This will be a great tournament, unlike ever before! Stay tuned, for live kohlii action!

1 Like

But that’s
N O N C A N O N /s

Anyways, she’s pretty neato. I like the vibrant colorscheme.

2 Likes

It’s canon for the Cyclic Plane! Mata-Nui basically jury-rigged their existing fusion ability to allow reproduction by literally making a new matoran out of their essence.

Yes. Her weapons reflect a brutish strong personality, you might want lighter weapons, and show her in more running poses.

Her “weapons” are sports equipment.

1 Like

That’s pretty cool. I mean, I was just making a joke :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow, minifigure ponchos, netting and Onewa’s mask. Brilliant

Pretty good, IMO.