BIONICLE 2015 Discussion Topic

…Am I the only one who enjoys the animations? The voice actor is actually doing a pretty nice job, I love the animation style, and I think that it tells the story very well. All of the episodes are exciting (even if they are predictable), and honestly, I’d rather have 5-10 minute animations for 2016 instead of a TV show…

5 Likes

The skull villains like Kulta and others are the undead so there is a possibility that their background could be explored in the future, i myself have been thinking about the skull villains origin and there is always a possible story to be told with them, its just that the three year story we have can only focus on the three legendary masks and the battle agains Makuta is whats importants, this is not like G1 where they will have like a milion plot threads going on at the same time along with the main one to build up other plot stuff that is not even relevant to the main story at works here.

Also, are you having little hope for G2’s story? its not like G1 was a masterpeice in story telling, because, more complex does not mean that something will be better, it just means that we will have to much story to focus on, and in the end will thus have little to no relevation to what those stories will lead up to, or the plot will just be more interesting than the main story, which is bad because then we would just wish for that story to go away so that more focus could be on this story here.

If you don’t feel like watching Bionicle G2, then ignore it. If it is as bad as you feel its getting then it will fail anyway and you don’t need to be around to see it.

Though it is a bad sign if the people who keep telling others to be more imaginative, have little to no imagination themself. :disappointed:

2 Likes

Remember. Adjust to something if you honestly want a better time.

1 Like

I think the animations are enjoyable. They allow for someone to get into the story quickly and have been released on a regular schedule (at least for the summer wave). To me, it’s a lot better than what I had to go through to get story information only from toy bios and comics in G1’s run.
Let me break down why I like G2’s media presence a lot more than what I experienced in G1:

G1: New toy bios every 3-6 months; New 10-15 page comic every 2-4 months depending on the year; Little advertisement of theme in the Lego Magazine to keep interest (especially when no comic was included).
G2: New short every week; Full website with story information; Social Media pages and advertisements (Ex: Month of Stone and concept art) to keep interest.

*Mind you, I did not have steady access to the internet until after G1 ended and Hero Factory was in full swing.

2 Likes

I guess so, though seems odd being the first time we are seeing that style of architecture being used for Ekimu (at least given this much focus anyway)

As you mentioned, he has an ‘air of royalty’ thanks to the Mask Of Creation, however it isn’t really something that gives off the same vibe as the flags or swords seen in the animation which feel more medieval similar to Knights Kingdom or the style of weapon used in Nexo Knights (Especially given as we haven’t seen any G2 character wielding that style of weapon)

Though i suppose it could be an aspect that is developed in future, given it seems to be implying something along the lines of the Toa meeting Ekimu in the past, so maybe at some stage we’ll travel back to a time when the ‘crest’ is used more.

3 Likes

If a future story line is for the Toa to travel back in time then the only story that i can see work, is the “we where always meant to travel back in time” story, which would mean that the Toa would then be the ones responsible for a lot of things and would also meant that the history for the Bionicle G2 universe is a Self-fulfilling prophecy.

1 Like

I think the idea is they’ve already met Ekimu, so time travel may not have been necessary as they could have been on Okoto already.

So effectively imagine having a storyline at some stage (Possibly inspired by Legends Of Metru Nui) that introduces us to the Toa before they were amnesiac’s when they first met with Ekimu. Then we follow their story for a while. Then it explains where they disappeared off to, then it explains them being summoned back via the Mask Of Time.

I like them, though feel they are flawed. Feel critiquing them may help them be improved in the long-run. Would prefer a TV show rather than an animation though would probably keep all those involved with the Animations currently - as despite critiques they do seem invested in the project as one can probably tell from all the small details and references.

3 Likes

I’m not sure that’s a good idea…

7 Likes

I like the animations. I think they do a good job at telling a compelling story in a small amount of time. Only moment I consider bad is when Ekimu is suddenly standing, looking at the camera like an early 2000’s educational computer game. “You’ve arrived! time to learn our numbers!”

5 Likes

Personaly, i like the idea of the Toa being the sole defenders of Okoto instead of a large gallery of different Toa’s, it would also mean that they are more like deities or something that takes physical form when their people are in need, also i would find it interesting if the Toa did lose their memory always when they arrive on Okoto to defent it, basicly like the Doctor from Doctor Who when he regenerate, its the same persion, but their appearance and personality is different.

1 Like

Perhaps Ekimu’s lifespan is very, very long (or he’s basically immortal) while Toa couldn’t live that long. The Toa team we got now could be the only Toa team there is, like @DarkHenrik said, thus every time there’s a threat to the island, they need to be summoned from the time they still existed.

2 Likes

[quote=“DarkHenrik, post:10783, topic:71”]
Personaly, i like the idea of the Toa being the sole defenders of Okoto instead of a large gallery of different Toa’s,[/quote]

Yeah, i don’t mean different Toa. Just thinking of a linear way of the events occurring if they don’t choose to go the whole ‘summoned from time’ route mentioned by @DarkHenrik. Its possibly though, just interested to see how they develop time travel if that’s the case and/or where the Toa originate.

At some stage we’ll hopefully find out if they actually did know Ekimu beforehand and how they knew him if so - probably in later years.

Though yeah, you both suggest good options - i wonder if it’d tie in with the whole Ninjago Realms thing, as Bionicle could be a realm all of its own and they could be summoned from that realm to wherever needed. Constant travel between the realms could then cause the amnesia and be an explanation for why we don’t see tons of crossovers in Lego.

3 Likes

Perhaps the Mask Makers made more than just masks (they have a forge anyway) and made weapons and shields? Maybe the ones that decorate Ekimu’s tomb are the ones that he made. Perhaps they made the Toa’s weapons too?

2 Likes

Most likely, just wondering who the intended wielder’s were. Who in G2 would use a sword and shield, as I’m interested to see that character :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Maybe Kopaka if for 2016 he trades out his staff

3 Likes

Rip me all people who don’t take plastic toys as serious as their life

1 Like

And that’s exactly it, so far they’ve been focused on telling the story and they’re likely never going to get around to explaining crucial details like where they came from. Why does Slicer have four arms? Why do Basher and Grinder have horns? Are Scorpios undead or native creatures? Where did an entire army of Warriors come from, etc? If the Skull villains aren’t explained in “Revenge of the Skull Spiders” later this year they’re likely never going to be brought up seriously ever again. LEGO has done it in the past with skeleton villains, and if Bionicle isn’t as “explosive” a launch as Chima or Ninjago there might not even be the additional books or clips needed to explain them.

Why are you talking about G1? I never even mentioned it, let alone compared it to G2.

I said that the story was getting progressively worse, not that it is terrible.

What?

this one was answered in the book

I doubt they’ll be explained there, if anything I think they will be explained in the graphic novel, if not, then probably later down the line

1 Like

I’m going to say this one more time:

#you have to adjust to things to like it more.

the end

3 Likes

The animations for me are an odd subject.

Critique is needed to improve it, but how much can they actually be improved?
What I mean is how much of the animations are done in advance? Is the original script written in another language? What’s the budget? How many animators are there? I don’t know how much can reasonably be changed, and thus I find it hard to judge them. So the only thing left to do is just critique what I think should be changed (For the next wave of animations):

1. Use the 3d plane more.
    The characters often look like cut-outs while moving, give me depth!
  2. Use more dynamic camera angles.
    A better angle can make all the difference. For example, when the enemies are higher than the Toa (SWs, Skull Basher) instead of showing them from the horizontal view It would be more dramatic from the vertical view.
  3. Better sound effects (pew pew gets old fast)
  4. More music tracks (Not just revamps of the same song)
  5. Voice actors, or a more dynamic narrator.
  6. Flesh out the characters.
    Bascically write better dialogue.
  7. Longer battles.
    Every “battle” so far has been super short, it’s really more of an inconvience for the Toa to fight rather than a problem.
  8. Longer animations.
    Or combine some of them. This last episode could have been easily combined with the previous one considering the Scorpio’s quick defeat.
  9. Good job with the lighting and blurr effects!
    Really shows that a lot of work went into it.

But again, a lot of this is incredibly unrealistic. I’ll never know the full limitations. I love the animations, and because I love them I want them to get better.

8 Likes