Bionicle 2015 Gears System vs. 2016 Gears System

My swivel on Tahu is getting a little bit more loose the more I play with him, sometime I might have to buy replacements :stuck_out_tongue: .

Although to be perfectly fair the same thing happened with the gosh dang blue pins on my 2015 sets. Except Onua.

2 Likes

Somehow that sounds more fun than bashing a Toa’s arm against another Toa’s head violently. Also how do you keep the Toa in place like that?

…you put them firmly on their feet and press down slightly as you twist the gears?

2 Likes

TBH, I would say 2016. The 2015 Gearbox was fun and all, but the way it was integrated onto the sets was a little lazy, IMO. It also looked a little clunky. The friction is there but it loses the friction after having them for a while though.

Before I get into everything good with the 2016 function, I will address that the function is extremely stiff and kind of squeaky when you first get the set. After a week or so though, the friction is less stiff to a content point, and the squeak is a little more of a faint squeak.

Other than that, it is integrated really, really nicely. It’s a great function while still giving great articulation. And with this function, the torso. The torso is MUCH, MUCH less clunky. It just looks so much better, being much less exposed and clunky.

2 Likes

coming back to this, after having the uniters and masters for as long as I have, I do prefer the Waist function

but then Ekimu comes in and kinda smashes most of the arguments by having both

2 Likes

Indeed.

In another life, perhaps we got a 2017 wave dedicated to such a phenomenon.

Now some fan’s gonna have to do it.

5 Likes

Prefer the back nob than the butt nob visually.

But waist swivel is a better articulation point, geared arms are good for play overall. Both were not implemented the best as they could have been. The back gear placed the arms way back than they should and the but nob made the entire lower part of the body just weird.

1 Like

On some of my Mocs (like shade or kaena) I use the 2016 torso without gears just for the swivel. The gearboxes I just don’t use at all except for a concept art set.

The best gear function is from Summer 2016.

Ekimu’s gear function.

1 Like