BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

If people want strong enemies for the Toa, the Beasts being fusions of the Creatures would give that.

Otherwise the Toa already have the physical manifestations of the elements on their side, meaning that the Beasts have to be made even more powerful than them to be a threat. And I’m not sure it’s realistic that Umarak wearing a new mask could magic three creatures more powerful than himself out of nothing.

Anyway, the thing I really came on here to talk about is this: Did people notice that Pohatu’s instructions comic shows him travelling by sandstorm even though he no longer has his Stormerangs?

1 Like

Ah, I see. I guess I did digress in the second or third paragraph. I just supposed it was relevant in relation to statements made by others earlier in the topic about Hero Factory.

I did, I don’t think his ability to create sandstorms is directly dependent on his stormerangs, they can just produce them themselves without Pohatu’s intervention

1 Like

The Blue Fire burning inside his molten core is quite visible.

Context?

I honestly find it funny how the artist started by layering the combo with gold, and adding red later. XP

Video I’m sure you’ve all seen:

I noticed an upsetting trend in strictly constraction themes sometime in 2015: the lack of more elaborate or expensive “titan” sets in 2015. It only occurred to me after photos of the General Grievous constraction figure were released. I know constraction is a niche and isn’t expected to perform as well sales-wise as runaway hits like NINJAGO or licensed themes of more recognizable, long running franchises like STAR WARS but sets like Witch Doctor and Speeda Demon already proved it is possible to produce fairly complex sets at a $30-35 price point. And for the last two years, we have only received multi-packs (Queen Beast vs. Furno, Evo, and Stormer and Mask Maker vs Skull Grinder). This year, we won’t even get a $30 set seeing as Umarak the Destroyer is only $25 and despite my reasoning mentioned above, I can’t help but feel like Lego is slightly neglecting constraction themes, constraction has had mediocre sales for a while now, or Lego simply doesn’t have much faith in constraction as a whole. However, I do not believe BIONICLE will be discontinued altogether like some do, as I do not think constraction sells that badly, It just doesn’t sell exceptionally well either, just well enough to merit its continuation.

2 Likes

This isn’t a new trend.

I’m pretty sure the reason we don’t see a lot of sets over $25-30 is because of the overall wave budget balancing since the average is now more expensive. Have to balance the quantity and price.

Constraction’s golden days are long gone, anyone could tell you that. With that said Lego is not one to give up so easily on a demographic. For years they’ve absolutely failed at girl-based themes and yet instead of accepting loss they evaluated what worked, what didn’t, and kept trying. I don’t see Constraction going away so easily as long as there are still people who are interested, no matter how small they are.

The problem isn’t worse sales as 01-03 can prove, the problem is Lego is not willing to put their full deck of cards on the table for a line that isn’t selling spectacularly. Even though it is selling worse for that reason.

I partially blame the fact that Lego expects to sell certain products worse. It is a bettr buisiness model to instead place a semi-large amount of money on a one-off test than it is to put a small amount of money every interval for a longer one.

1 Like

Personally I’d actually say Lego put a lot of work on line. So far we’ve gotten:

-Main appearance at NYCC
-A series of flash animations and a miniseries.
-Two game apps.
-Multiple chapter books and graphic novels.
-Multiple exclusives, con or otherwise.
-Three TV spots.
-Multiple appearances in Lego Magazine
-Social media page and campaigns along with contests.

And sure this all may look to be around or less on par with things like Ninjago or Nexo Knights, but considering Bionicle wasn’t classified as a Big Bang theme I’d say the team went above and beyond what was expected. If anything I’d complain about the quality or depth of some of the content, but there is no doubt in my mind that Lego gave the reboot a proper start.

4 Likes

I agree. Anyone can tell you that marketing is essential to selling a product and like others have said, if Lego put more effort into endorsing BIONICLE through different kinds of media like G1 did it could possibly boost sales considerably. Just look at NINJAGO, which has been accompanied by a television series since it was launched. It’s a pretty easy guess to correlate its success with the media presence a TV series can provide. It establishes a connection between the consumer and the product and could very likely influence how a child (aka the the target audience) would perceive a product, especially considering how much time children spend watching movies and television as well as how impressionable and tractable a child’s mind is. Journey to One is a start, but BIONICLE could really use an extra push through some other media.

2 Likes

umurak could have been good
if it wasn;t for the awful gappy lower legs.
and the horrendud mask
other than that he’s pretty cool looking.

(i broke my typing hand any typos i am sorry)

That’s great but most of it doesn’t introduce the line to new people. People who are already fans look for it.

Horrendous mask!? Are you kidding me! That mask is the best mask to have ever been created!!! s/

1 Like

Define “New People”.

Do you mean just people who are fans of Lego and wouldn’t catch on Bionicle’s association with it on the shelves or in it’s media, people who aren’t interested in Lego in general, or people who have somehow never heard of the most popular and widespread Toy company of the times?

The mainstream audience has changed. Aside from the momentous status of simply being associated with Lego and with the reach of new platforms that cross more age demographics I’d say the exposure is there.

1 Like

What do you dislike about Umarak’s mask? I don’t own the set yet, but I think that it looks pretty sweet.

High as they already are, the standards for media tie-ins for any Lego theme; heck, even Lego Friends have risen and are still rising. Bionicle is average, at best for an original IP of the largest toy company on Earth.

To cut it short, it does not look like a bionicle mask
it looks like something from a different theme which bugs me to no end.
While you can use the flimsy defense of “it G2 tho” i doubt that’s needed due to it still being the same franchise.

i’ve seen this on all G2 masks BUT the toa’s there is nothing that has any g1 bionicle feel to it, am i saying it needs to be a redesign of old Kanohi? no not at all but it should at least feel like it was designed in 2003 and then uncovered touched up and rereleased at least. think of makuta’s kraakhan perfect example of a bad guy that doesn’t need to look to organic

TL;DR? it looks way to organic

A detailed texture, trans green, and black aren’t “Bionicle” enough for you?

I wasn’t going to use that defense. I don’t use defenses that I don’t need.

You mean all the masks that aren’t blatant rehashes of the ones that you had when you were a kid?

2003 Makuta is a freaking gas in a biomechanical robot suit. Umarak lives in the jungle. He speaks for the trees. Why would his mask not look organic?

1 Like

[quote=“CupHead5998, post:22522, topic:15529”]
am i saying it needs to be a redesign of old Kanohi no
[/quote]

1 Like