BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

Doesn’t look like a BIONICLE mask? There are so many different BIONICLE masks with varying styles, that you can’t possibly say this and assert it as fact.

[quote=“CupHead5998, post:22522, topic:15529”]
think of makuta’s kraakhan perfect example of a bad guy that doesn’t need to look to organic
[/quote] That’s your problem? You don’t like Umarak’s mask because it looks “organic”? The nuva masks looked organic. The Piraka faces and Inika masks looked extremely organic. In 2008 we got masks that looked like bat faces. Umarak’s mask is just as BIONICLE as any of those masks.

You can’t say that something doesn’t look “BIONICLE”. That’s not your right. The people that have the right to say whether something looks “BIONICLE” or not are the people that make BIONICLE masks. The people who spend a great deal of time looking at old masks, making concept art, and generally delving deep into several aspects of BIONICLE while trying to make something new. Disliking something is fine, but unless you’re a part of the BIONICLE design team, you don’t have the right to say something doesn’t look “BIONICLE” enough.

6 Likes

Guys, here is one of Gali’s product pictures from her product page on the BIONICLE website. Notice anything unusual about the torso print? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This is beyond old news, this was like four months old.

2 Likes

It literally said:

‘Why was this flagged?’ I think it’s self explanatory. If it said something else previously, just PM a mod and find out.

On an unrelated note, if the beasts are horse enemies, I’m gonna cry. I want characters with unique personalities, not mindless beasts (pun intended) with no personal goals

Exactly. This is why i’m hoping the beasts are creature mutations/fusions. Also notice how on the box art in the background the Toa are NOT in their united forms? Also, they are missing their masks. The masks they are missing are their normal ones. They should have been missing their Golden Unity form masks, if they were united. Last year, the Skull Villians took the Gold Masks because it was what the Toa were wearing. So, this is what I think happens.

1. UtD Creates Beasts out of respective creatures
  2. Toa can no longer wear Golden Masks without creatures
  3. Toa fail because their not strong enough.
2 Likes

Don’t know if this has been pointed out, but people of the UK rejoice!! Amazon is selling all Bionicle sets cheap, bar the creatures. This includes 2015 sets :slight_smile:

And before you all panic saying it shows Bionicle is doing badly, 2 things:

1. It’s Amazon, they’re know for being cheap
  2. They did the same thing last year at this time if I remember correctly.
2 Likes

well maybe 2006 awful year but still

[quote=“Tarvaax, post:22525, topic:15529”]
The nuva masks looked organic
[/quote]Yet they still fit the organic look of the nuva masks still didn’t go overboard.
Umurak looks like he belongs in a new theme not bionicle

[quote=“Tarvaax, post:22525, topic:15529”]
That’s not your right
[/quote]The right to an opinion is my right and that is my opinion whether you like it or not
i will be getting umurak for a cool parts pack end of story.
Why you see the need to convince me that i should not have my opinion is beyond me you’re not changing it.
If it looked like a bionicle villain mask in my opinion i’d like it more. but in my eyes it does not

when i look at it i see a nose fangs a crooked motuth
the only person i see this on is him in G2.

Sorry if this post is a bit heated

@CupHead5998

What you said is not an opinion, you said Umarak’s mask didn’t look ‘Bionicle’, that is not an opinion. Fair enough you don’t like the mask, opinion. But saying the mask doesn’t look like Bionicle isn’t, you are stating a supposed fact. It has a mouth, oh no, so does Tahu (every single one bar 2008) and Lewa 2001

It’s even cut out. Guess who also has a mouth? Nearly every b Bionicle mask to date. So Bionicle masks do have mouths, have always had them and always will have them. I don’t know what nose you’re seeing but you can’t say it looks too organic to be Bionicle full stop, because in g1 they are 85% organic for a start, because it has the same features nearly every Bionicle mask (both gems) have in common.

At no point did @Tarvaax say you shouldn’t have an opinion, he said you can’t just say Umarak’s mask looks too organic to look like Bionicle and instead he looks like a different theme.

Until we get his destroyer form, Umarak is probably the set most similar to g1 actually, so he definitely screams Bionicle

@CupHead5998

But it isn’t an opinion, that’s like me saying an astra looks like a sports car. I can say it does but it certainly doesn’t, it ain’t an opinion. An astra doesn’t look like a sports car, same thing here, Umarak doesn’t look un-Bionicle because he looks too organic as he is just as organic looking as any other Bionicle character

2 Likes

I don’t think it would, all we know is that Ekimu makes masks and is the brother of Makuta - his death could be used to motivate the Toa - however neither the books or JTO have developed him to the point I’d care if he was killed off.

Nothing much - don’t think we’ve had anything since JTO…

I think its worth noting that while the Star Wars films will be coming out until around 2020 (2 more sequels, 2-3 spin-off’s) - Bionicle on their currently plan will end next year.

So it makes sense that any Lego member would explain that they would focus CCBS on Star Wars CCBS sets - as they are the CCBS sets with the longest projected lifespan at the current date.

Honestly, the commercials were what i felt introduced me also. Either way, feel they’ve done a lot of bad decisions with G2 in terms of marketing (Via Netflix, commericals, competitions in 2015, etc…) They are targeting at the wrong demographic, the people who are constantly complaining the story is too complex, rather than all the fans who have been petitioning and keeping the hype alive or simply are waiting to get good complex sets and story.

From what i can tell, the Toa sold really well in 2015 and were praised. Then the skull villains happened and sales must have dropped or something because that was when we started seeing less marketing, competitions and promotions. Then we had 2016 and rather than increase sales, the sales of sets has remained slumped so there hasn’t been any reports on sales.

As I’ve pointed out in the past, the decision to finalize the line beyond 2017 will likely be made in Summer 2016. This is because they’d need to start working on the sets about a year and a half prior to release, sometimes even before that. The latest they could start working on the 2017 sets would likely be very early into the Winter Wave of 2017.

#what people can do to try and secure the line lasting longer is buy the sets.

6 Likes

in my opinion it did not
So could you stop crying over opinion? that’d be nice.
in my opinion it doesn’t fit you can think it does but i don’t

[quote=“Scarnos, post:22534, topic:15529”]
Honestly, the commercials were what i felt introduced me also. Either way, feel they’ve done a lot of bad decisions with G2 in terms of marketing (Via Netflix, commericals, competitions in 2015, etc…) They are targeting at the wrong demographic, the people who are constantly complaining the story is too complex, rather than all the fans who have been petitioning and keeping the hype alive or simply are waiting to get good complex sets and story.
[/quote]I made a post about this but it was flagged as off topic really sucks because i put work into that post

I think what they’re trying to say is that you should have begun with that. When @Azani asked you why you disliked Umarak’s mask, you said:

If you had started with “In my opinion” you might have still gotten some responses, but no one would have disputed your right to hold that opinion. What you feel BIONICLE masks should look like is up to you, but you have to make sure people know that it’s an opinion. Otherwise, you seem condescending (which I’m not saying you are, it just comes off that way to some).

Anyway, I like Umarak’s mask because it’s unique. I can see how it might be interpreted as “not BIONICLE enough,” but I think it fits the character, which, in my opinion, is the most important thing when designing a set.

2 Likes

That’s a valid argument, but does Umarak’s mask really have a “mouth”? To me, it looks like just a bunch of scars. There are more discernible mouths on other masks, but with Umarak’s it seems a little difficult to tell.

1 Like

I can see why. and i respect it

[quote=“Toa_Heatwave, post:22538, topic:15529, full:true”]
That’s a valid argument, but does Umarak’s mask really have a “mouth”? To me, it looks like just a bunch of scars. There are more discernible mouths on other masks, but with Umarak’s it seems a little difficult to tell.
[/quote]i can argue that the grin on lewa’s face wouldn’t move and wou;d be carved there instead.

I don’t MOC much anymore mostly revamps but it seems pretty good if it got recolours for MOCS
#black and red version for those edgy mocs out there

2 Likes

he actually has two fangs.as well

[quote=“DiamondKing, post:22540, topic:15529”]
yet you complain about Umarak’s
[/quote]THE MIRU looks artificial and unusablein terms of masking.
umuraks looks like a mouth a human moves. if you understand my jist
picture for reference

It looks like a nose to me a pinched nose but still a nose
some reason reminds me of gannon tbh

[quote=“DiamondKing, post:22542, topic:15529”]
Don’t thing them are fangs, just detailing on the mask
[/quote]i see em as fangs you may notbut hey different eyes

1 Like

Like I said above, looking organic or not doesn’t stop it looking like it belongs to a separate theme because Bionicles are biological

and mechanical
it doesn’t look metal or made of metal like i’d imagine the masks are
it looks like it could be dark skin

1 Like

They are all made of plastic and you expect them to look more like metal. It looks metallic because all the masks use the same paint. You could then argue that for Onua and Pohatu. It comes as close to looking like metal as possible, just as much as other masks

@CupHead5998 no I’m not, you made a point and I gave my opinion on it. That’s how discussion works. If you wanted the conversation to stop, you didn’t have to respond

1 Like

I don’t see it. I can’t see any ears or fangs or a nose. It just looks like designs on the mask

2 Likes

I think they purposely made the mask not have any definitive features so that each child can resonate a different character in their imagination. It doesn’t have to be a snarling evil mask of death; it can be an ancient relic lost in time.

In other words, the mask is more moccable (is that even a word?)

1 Like