BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

Maybe Bionicle just under-performed to what Lego seems as successful. They might have cancelled it before any damage was done so they could actually bring it back again . If that is true then I think we can truly say that Lego cares about Bionicle and doesn’t want it to go away.

4 Likes

We already know that LEGO really cares about it, whether it’s the designers or the corporate part. Why do you think BIONICLE, out of all of the better selling system themes, gets to have a conclusion to its own story each time it ends, despite several system themes and Hero Factory never receiving the same kind of love or respect when they’re cancelled.

They’ll bring BIONICLE back, because it’s one of their most potential filled original IPs. They’re not just going to throw it away, they’re instead going to wait until a better time to bring it back (like several other of their themes that they re-invent or reboot every decade or so). Now, don’t think it’s coming back any time soon, but if the SW constraction sets can bring in more awareness for CCBS, then we might see it brought back in the future. The market right now is a volatile one, and I don’t think they’re ready to put effort into advertising CCBS just yet. It seems that they have qualms with the system, because within the past six or so years it looks to me like they’ve been experimenting with it and nothing more. They’re not sure what they want CCBS to be. That’s evident with the progression from HF 2.0 to the years onward. I think that they’re still trying to get the system down, and find out how to make it work better and be constraction’s compliment to system. BIONICLE even seemed to be a test on what builds sell better (CCBS combined with function focused vs Technic and CCBS integration focused) and most likely it was testing just how much customers were willing to pay for constructable action figures.

5 Likes

It’s a good thing I’m ignoring all of these combi-models, so I only have to fork out the cash for JtO Makuta :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Oooh! This reminds me! Everyone who collected all of the G2 sets needs to buy copies of the sets needed for Makuta and build him, because dang. This model really completes the collection well, it just looks amazing.

Don’t worry about not having the MoUP because the MoCo comes with Umarak the Hunter, and it looks arguably just as good at the MoUP on Makuta. Honestly, it looks a little bit better on him since it looks a lot like the movie Kraahkan, so at least you have something similar to the MoS in some form or another.

Although, if you need an in story reason, just say that he has to wear it because the MoUP was too unstable to be worn. I mean, we already saw that it was so unstable that it broke after just one hit from a hammer, I’m sure Makuta would have learned from that and decided to wear his MoCo (which he got when he sucked up Umarak) until he could find a way to properly bind the elements in the MoUP.

3 Likes

Can you give some examples?

Castle/KnightsKingdom/NexoKnights, Every once in a while something with dinosaurs, An adventure theme focused around something ancient with a team of researchers/adventurers/explorers. LEGO Ninja (Ninjago now) of course. For the most part, they bring past IPs back a lot with a new coat of paint, primarily with a new name (BIONICLE being the recent new exception because of its status and notoriety). There are some themes that probably won’t ever come back (Exo Force… I miss you), but if a theme comes back once, there’s a chance that LEGO thinks that it’s atmosphere and potential story growth are timeless, regardless of circumstance. It’s not BIONICLE that hurt constraction, but rather contraction that hurt BIONICLE. It’s a good theme that will always be captivating, LEGO knows this, but constraction just isn’t doing well so for now BIONICLE’s on workers compensation. LEGO’s still paying their love and attention to it, but it got hurt on the job. :wink:

4 Likes

And Bionicle itself! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

What’s bionkcle notorious for, other than being extremely successful iin G1?

I think you may be onto something here. We know that all the instances of runes appearing have to do with ancient places/objects (the Legendary Masks, the cells in the Forge, etc.). Perhaps runes are the keys to unlocking abilities_other_ than Elemental Powers, whereas Elemental Masks require Crystals?

The regular Unity Masks were likely created with runes as a stylistic choice, as they apparently possessed no extraordinary powers of their own (with the revelation that the Toa Masks draw power from the heroes themselves, we can safely say that those masks are likely powerless on their own).

The Mask of Skull Spiders, if canon, may have been another ancient mask–perhaps owned/used by the Skull Raiders to control their army?

As for the Creatures’ heads, their runes are likely just markings, but they may provide some sort of connection with the runes on the Golden Masks of Unity that allows unification.

Personally, I’ve always headcanoned that Mata Nui created the Masks of Time, Creation, and Control, giving the latter two to the Mask Makers, giving them immortal status (this would depend on MN being much more mystical/powerful than he was in G1). After all, the story team mentioned him in their interview at NYCC in 2014, indicating that he was a concept they drew from and were thinking about for the new story. I do believe it was once stated that the Mask Makers were given their masks by someone else…

9 Likes

It’s a big name, not only associated with sales, but something grander. Amazing quality sets with amazing adventures, tales, and legends built up around the sets that produce intrigue and wonder. It’s a theme to get lost in, and discover new and interesting myths and lore. That’s important, because LEGO doesn’t have many themes that have that type of notoriety with the public, or themes with that kind of potential. The name BIONICLE instantly brings to mind mysticism and intrigue whenever casuals who’ve been intellectually competent for at least 2001 and onward such as my parents hear it. It was also a theme that touched a lot of hearts and produced new types of creativity. That was the way of the BIONICLE.

5 Likes

Did they? I was unaware of that, but it makes total sense…where was that stated, just out of curiosity?

1 Like

But notorious means being famous for something bad or evil, which is why you confused me. I know all that stuff

It’s notorious to certain AFOLs, isn’t it? :wink:

So I looked it up, and I just learned that notorious used to just mean well known, but over time (apparently the 17th century, to be exact) it changed to being well known in a negative light. I’ve only heard it used in an indifferent form. Huh, the more you know.

5 Likes

Well… Makuta did want to take his place among the gods, if Mata Nui really was a mystical deity in the Okotoverse then once again the lesser being, Makuta, wanted to usurp and take over the position of the higher being because he wasn’t being respected by the small villager people and he had issues with being ruled over. Except this time he was small at first, so he was Teridax with a Napolean complex. XD

8 Likes

i wonder if Makuta also had a cake named after him…

22 Likes

I love that picture XP

1 Like