BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

Boy… I really want to see that ‘prototype’ Journey to One in full now.

Also, I fathom from this that Journey to One was originally supposed to have a fully redone retelling of the 2015 story in addition to what we would be getting.

3 Likes

And here I thought Bionicle news has ended :stuck_out_tongue:

Without a shadow of a doubt, this was definitely some prototype testing animations for Bionicle. They even showcase eerily similar frames from the 2015 Bionicle commercial.

I would guess that LEGO wanted to see what they could do, giving them existing visual reference material for Bionicle (perhaps giving them a Kopaka 2015 set to work with) before actually working on the netflix series.

also, was I the only one who thought that they were about to play the JTO theme when a familiar trumpet note started to sound at 0:55?

9 Likes

Gonna be honest, I kinda knew about this for about maybe 1-2 months before, but just didn’t have a good way to share it because they locked it to their website banner, but now they got this demo :stuck_out_tongue:

Seeing the animation again, it reminds me of Halo: Combat Evolved in a way.

Remember when "someone* found those JtO storyboards and inadvertently spoiled stuff? Well, the artist Daniel Pocetti added a very short 3-sec animatic of Pohatu pushing some rocks and some new background paintings… that’s it, that’s all I got.

EDIT: WELP NEVERMIND, I FOUND NEW STUFF.

This is more for people interested in technical stuff, game development and the like. A look at a part of the creation of the Mask of Creation game.
http://etiennecarrier.com/lego-bionicles-procedural-modeling/

10 Likes

Neat finds, brief yet thorough peeks at what was done behind the scenes :thumbsup:

1 Like

“Lego BIONICLES”

BIONICLES

BOOOOOOOOOOOOI YOU MISSPELLED IT.

Anyways that’s pretty amazing knowing how the design went. That’s actually really neat.

10 Likes

It’s Absolutely neat to see the designing process of the game!

3 Likes

So, the year is getting near its closing point, and with it the story of our beloved biomechanical heroes will close too. I think that with all the time that has passed since the announcement of its cancellation, we all have a clear and defined opinion of how we feel about G2. Some may be able to overlook the ending, and see the second generation of BIONICLE for its strong suits, others undoubtedly feel disappointed because of the wasted potential that it never lived to see through to the end. Regardless of your stance, soured or not, I’d like to take the time to share some of the brighter points that still make me happy when I look around my room.

G2 may not have had a strong story, but it DID remind me of what BIONICLE was at its very start. Mind controlling minions, an unseeable and unknowable force literally working in the shadows, heroes without a known purpose, an emphasis on unique weapons, masks having a very big role as items that can tip the balance, the insane amount of collectibles, functions that offered an interesting building experience, masks that were made from hard plastic and not the flimsy material that would be used for later masks in G1, and elemental powers being a major focus in general. All of these things reminded me about the little things I took for granted back in G1, until they disappeared four-five years in. There’s just so much to love, I find it distasteful that I almost let a mediocre and nonsensical ending tarnish my enjoyment of something that was actually pretty enjoyable throughout its run. I mean, I was too busy focusing on the lackluster aspects (and my own bitterness towards LEGO), to see that the good aspects shined brighter.

I’d also like to mention that I’m thankful for the G2 BIONICLE team, and by extension everyone else who devoted time to the theme these past 2-3 years. Looking at the concept art, it’s pretty clear that corporate LEGO might have gotten in the way of letting you tell the story you truly wanted to tell, and truthfully, I wish we could see what all of you would have wanted to see the story media become. Good job everyone, thanks again for the hard work you did, because these last two years are ones that I’ll always cherish.

18 Likes

A few things I wonder about:
Whether or not G2 would benefit from the original mask powers.
Would terms like Matoran and Turaga have been used, or would new terms have been used?
Would the constellations have much story relevance if expanded upon?
Would the original Mask Search story fit in G2 if the original mask powers were used?

4 Likes

It’d at least give collectible masks story value, instead of just giving them “ambiguous elemental power” like they did in G2.

I think it could have worked out in a “third and final year”. From what we saw in G2, the Toa already had elemental powers inside of them (like with the G1 Toa, and unlike everyone else on Okoto). They didn’t know how to use them though, which is why the Golden Masks were described as “unlocking” their powers (though, only when worn). The end of this year showed that they themselves had the ability to channel the elements from inside. If we had received a third year, it would have been the best year to introduce the “quest for the masks” before the final battle with Makuta. Six sets of six masks of power for each Toa to find, in order to be prepared to finally put an end to the shadow looming over Okoto. The Toa couldn’t have used them before, simply because using a mask with a mask power instead of elemental energy means you’d have to rely on your own elemental power. Now though? They’d be ready to take off the training wheels and wear masks that would give them a true edge on the battlefield.

7 Likes

I feel the same way, with the the exception that I was actually very happy with how g2 ended (story wise, not reality wise). Maybe I just had different hopes than everyone else but journey to one kind of met all of them.

I will always look back on g2 as a positive thing, just like g1, BIONICLE is my favourite franchise ever, and G2 is an easily accessible adaptation. G1 was full of more lore, more characters, a longer story and more sets. G2 is a more concise telling of the same story, with a collectible amount of sets (I own every g2 set, I’m missing countless from g1), most of which are of the highest quality we got from g1. It does pain me that we would be getting new sets in less than a month, but if g2 was possible, I think I can hold out hope for a g3.

I obviously love both generations, but I think in the future I’ll actually end up going back to g2 more. I can get the whole story in a show I really like that’s approximately the same length as one movie, and I can build Mocs with parts that more easily work together aesthetically, and are structurally more solid. However G1 will likely provide me with a lot more nostalgia.

Sorry for writing an entire essay, but to put it simply, g1 and g2 great for different reasons, but they’re both undeniably BIONICLE, and I will always have memories of how much I loved them.

2 Likes

GUYS GUYS GUYS!!!

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!

LINK!!!

come quick, they have updated the explore page with more content.

Chima have been taken down from the Product map sadly…

6 Likes

THE 7TH TOA

The Toa of Light is the living incarnation of all the elements. Through duty, unity and destiny, Ekimu has become what his brother could never achieve through ambition and greed.

So ekimu is now confirmed to be gen 2 takanuva…

9 Likes

double the trouble

16 Likes

Triggered

2 Likes

Just let it die.

2 Likes

So, how many times has G2 been dragged out of its grave now?

I like how there was no content on the website for months on end, then they decide to post 7 serials at once. Not to mention this is nearly half a year after JtO’s ending.

My thoughts on the updates:

• Toa of Light… why?!
  • Ekimu literally had to step through a doorway to transform; there was no arduous, soul-searching journey to discover the meaning of the three virtues like in MoL, he basically became empowered because the plot demanded it.
  • His power-up is apparently a combination of all six elements, from which one may deduce that Ekimu had been granted Ultimate Power that is not bound to a mask; power that in the past has been shown to be able to cause island-wide cataclysms, yet Ekimu could not even take on a MoCo-empowered Umarak by himself; all he was capable of was a flash of light to temporarily disperse Umarak’s shadows, and even that drained him and reversed his transformation.
  • The Quake Beasts were made from Stone Traps… Stone Traps
  • The Umarak the Destroyer page contains next to no information on Umarak the Destroyer.
7 Likes

you can tell that most of the stuff said in those serials might be the stuff that they originaly wanted for the summer story which was trimmed and/or cut in JtO.

4 Likes

GUYS! I FOUND THIS!

Gen 3 Confirmed?

2 Likes