BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

How is Master Gali feminine? I own that figure and I’m not seeing it.

2 Likes

Gali MoW looks feminine, atleast compared to the rest of the toa and her 2016 counterpart

2 Likes

And there is your Rhino Mr. Melum

Also how do you change your username and not your password @BlueCel like how you changed from SolektheLawd to BlueCel?

1 Like

I don’t have the set yet but I might know the solution for Kopaka’s arms. Connect two of this piece to the nuva hand pieces under the torso armor

Then connect the lower part to that little beam piece on the torso bone.

Can someone try this? I’m not sure it this can work tho

1 Like

She really doesn’t. I just see a blue Toa with SPACE MARINE shoulder pads.

1 Like

maybe the lady’s in our towns are just wierd :stuck_out_tongue: I’m not really seeing it either. animation gali however is very clearly feminine.

Does anyone know what time Lego.com updates?

Normally before the end of the world.

3 Likes

Brickset review of Tahu:

Gotta say I really like this review It’s fair enough for Tahu.

Anyway the nexo knights site just got updated! So we’re gonna get the Bionicle site update too pretty soon! :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, definitely.

They appear to be working again now :3

Kind of looks better like that… either have Terak as bipedal or a quad and have Melum be the opposite to solve the similar outline situation.

Hopefully we get a Netflix series trailer

I’ve heard a lot of people say this, so lets examine why Gali 2015 never looked feminine;

gali;
http://i.imgur.com/kia60OY.png

Lets make it obvious first that we are judging this based on the body design, the head itself can warp people’s opinions on whether it looks feminine so chosen to remove it for this comparison.

#The body;
http://i.imgur.com/XKVgmbm.png

The exterior body design is exactly the same of that as Kopaka, to claim that Gali’s main body would give her a feminine appearance would imply that Lego also intended this for Kopaka and Pohatu who are both male characters. So that’s the body being feminine, disproven!

#The arms;
http://i.imgur.com/TtODjtu.png

Heard a few people say that the arm CCBS placement makes Gali more femine, but those people seem to forget that Pohatu used the exact same shell arm placement for his CCBS pieces. While the underneath bones have a different structure, I’m certain this has existed with other figures and I doubt Lego intended Pohatu a male character to have feminine arms. So that’s the arms being feminine, disproven!

#The legs;
http://i.imgur.com/qdq9d4o.png

Heard a few people use the excuse that the legs have to be femine due to the way they are made. However, here we have Furno standing with the exact same leg design. Unless you want to try and claim that a spike coming out of the side of her lower leg makes her female - they are identical. So that’s the legs being feminine, disproven!

#The shoulder pads;

http://i.imgur.com/GRZ550F.png

While not identical due to the flipped interior CCBS piece the design of these shoulder pads for Gali and Tahu is incredibly similar. They are intended as shoulder pads which are normally used by Lego for both male and female characters alike without any changes to the design. If you still want to claim that despite Gali having male arms, legs and body that she is female simply because of the shoulder pads, then go ahead. Though i think that would be an insult to the idea of Tahu, given he has shoulder pads also that are near identical.

#Overall;

• Main body - Used for Male characters
  • Arms - Used for Male characters
  • Legs - Used for Male characters
  • Shoulder Pads - Almost identical to a Male characters

As such I’m leaning to the idea that due to the lack of pieces they could introduce, Gali; Master Of Water, ended up having an almost identical selection of limbs, body and armour to many male characters. While one can claim the mask if feminine, the body, arms and legs are definitely not. The shoulder pads as mentioned are very similar to Tahu’s and i doubt the changed direction of a CCBS piece on them is enough to say she has a feminine design.

9 Likes

Wow she really looks more feminine without a head. I’ve never thought about that.

4 Likes

Woah, what.

1. How?
  2. Did you read the above comment?

Don’t you mean masculine given the lack of any female traits present in her design…

2 Likes

maybe she looks femenine to me because I know she is a female

1 Like

When you know the character behind the set is male or female then he will most often look either feminine or masculine, at least this is how I experience it.

1 Like

No it isnt, cause the colour scheme, armour placement and armour choices are different from Gali. Because of the way her other parts of her body are made, the torso ends up looking more feminine than masculine, even tho they a uniseks armour choices.

Different colours, armour placements in other parts of her body make a difference, again.

Excuse me? What is so insulting for a male figure to just so happens to share armour pieces with a female figure, as if that really matters. plus the colours are different, Galis shoulder pieces are larger, much more closer to here body, and the add on is placed differently. even tho the armour is nearly the same, its not so comparing it and saying its the same is wrong.

https://i.imgur.com/iWKad22.jpg

Just what makes a build, or an armour piece, or even a colour by themselves masculine by themselves. Its because they are used in a more unified way does the figure invoke a more feminine figure. And please, feminine doesnt mean female, a male can just a easily be feminine (Kivoda) and a woman can be masculine (Korgot). Its 21 century people, gender has a very different description and use from the actual seks.

All of your example are wrong, used out of context. Its because she uses all the pieces in the way she does does it invoke a more feminine figure, plus colour scheme makes a difference.

LEGO has done a pretty good job of using the right methods to make a character look feminine, despite the pieces having no real reason to invoke it by themselves, they are uniseks by design, which is why LEGO works the way it works and invokes more creativity than if the pieces were delibrately masculine or feminine. Before they were experts in making masculine figures, but failed in many instences to do a feminine figure. Even tho Toas job would generally be a more masculine job, that doesnt mean feminine figures can not be seen in that job. Despite me personally not liking a set, that doesnt mean I can not agree on some things people here already seen.

Watch this please.

4 Likes

True, I’m just demonstrating that in terms of design, she isn’t any more feminine that Tahu, Kopaka, Furno or Pohatu. The idea of the set being a water Toa (Due to G1 having water sets primarily shown as female) plus the character of Gali being acknowledged as female is enough for many to acknowledge the set as a female.

It warps the perception slightly, the same with the 2016 set. They are not exactly shown as feminine sets due to the designs, just the poses and the knowledge of the character and the basis that most Water tribe characters would be female.

Though admittedly i guess this is primarily due to the idea of using very similar designs to show them as a team, plus the limited options their are for CCBS pieces (particularly in arm, leg and outward body designs)

Their is no rebuttal or counter-point in that video. That video offers no actual points towards why Gali 2015 is any more feminine than any of the other characters that use the sleek design.

A lot of that video rides on the knowledge that the character is female, constantly referring to the set as a female design despite a lack of any aspects that are unique to her. Throughout he displays the character in feminine poses, if anything his comments about the sleekness of the set design reflect on the other sets that use identical designs.

“Its so easy to make her look feminine in any pose” -NAM

If you are getting the feminine appeal from posing then that’s not the set design, that’s you attempting to view the character as female and posing them as such. Sharing a popular video does not support your point if the video in question does not address the sets from a design perspective and mostly focuses on how the character makes the set rather than the other way round.

[quote=“TeslaEffect, post:6387, topic:15529”]
All of your example are wrong, used out of context.Its because she uses all the pieces in the way she does does it invoke a more feminine figure[/quote]

A combination of male pieces used the same way does not make the character feminine in design. If it did then this terrifying thing would be female based on all the comments said by NAM and yourself.

http://i.imgur.com/ZR5zr81.png

Only difference between that and 2015 Gali is the lack of a leg spike, an alternative bone arrangement for the upper arm (that reduces arm movement in Gali’s version) and the shell on the shoulders facing the other way. Colour once again, does not really factor into why Gali’s set should be viewed as female.

Colour scheme makes no difference, are you saying automatically that all blue sets must be female because they have blue? If so then that’s stereotyping based on a colour - similar to how pink is sometimes associated with females in a real world scenario.

Rey from the Star Wars sets is brown and tan - Pohatu is also brown and tan in many appearances. The idea that colour allocates gender doesn’t make sense unless all water characters are acknowledged in G2 to be female, and that would still be judging the set based on Lore rather than the set design.

===

Tying this back to the 2016 discussion, what i am asking is what makes the Gali designs feminine? - without the connection to the character and the idea of ‘blue = female’ that Tesla has shown us an example of.

http://i.imgur.com/mWlrwS2.png

3 Likes

Maybe she doesn’t look feminine compared to human standards, but for Toa standards she is. Gali doesn’t use the piston piece on any of her limbs, only additional armour. Unlike the five other Toa, which gives them a certain level of bulk. This allows for her to have a much more sleek design. The other Toa, all of whom are our only representation of a male Toa, have a much heavier and bulkier design, with the sleekest being Lewa who still has a level of bulk to him. Gali is very different to her brothers, much like any female is, and most certainly doesn’t look like the same gender. When you look at our male representatives for the Toa, Gali doesn’t look male. There for she’d be a feminine Toa. A gender body build is universal only to that gender, a man can get skinny and a woman can get muscular, but they will always have that shaping that makes their gender recognizable. Gali does not share the same body build as the other Toa. She uses her own and therefor does not appear male, therefor she looks female, even if it’s not human female. Gali 2016 however looks too much like her brothers, there are no distinguishable genders.

No, no he doesn’t. Gali’s shell sizes and placement make her arms look kinda like this:

5 Likes

I just put Tahus gold mask on Gali, the body still looks feminine despite the mask. Which is alright guys, its alright to have a male figure be feminine, or a female figure be masculine, it just so happens that Gali 2015/1016 is a feminine females. G2 guys, it already has more body diversity than half of the years of G1.

PS: I also Umaraks body can just as easily be used for a female as well as a male, its a very versatile build (aka can both invoke feminine and masculine features), which not every build can do.

1 Like

Nexo knights has updated, so I’m sure Bionicle will update within the next week.