BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

So We had the Ekimu mask, Kultas mask, and next Makutas mask for the main product icon images, what do you guys think the summer wave icon will be? Umaraks horned head might be too big for the small space tho (thats if Umarak the Destroyer still has large horns)

I am simply trying to grasp why a certain design is acknowledged as female when similar or identical design on another set is not. If people could answer that in regards to Gali 2015, Gali 2016 and other female Bionicle CCBS sets such as Korgot then we could actually have a reasonable discussion.

I’m interested as to whether their is anything to look for in certain designs to determine the gender given they are no longer as obvious as Roodaka or other sets that I’ve seen that are easy to identical as female due to a thinner waist or other aspects. It could help us determine if any of the creatures are supposed to be female (given we didn’t know Korgot was female until announced)

While Gali 2015 had the sleekness, that sleekness is not as heavily represented on her 2016 form - so which aspects do we look for in future sets to get a grasp of whether they are male or female before release? Could any of the creatures be female? or is everything given an effectively neutral body with occasional aspects that hint towards their gender?

This was probably my fault with phrasing, will acknowledge that. It wouldn’t be an insult in the sense of an insult to the characters of Tahu, Gali or to males or female. I just feel that it would be an insult to the designers if all they needed to do to determine a character’s gender was to flip a CCBS piece around - it would imply they could be lazy and that nobody would care.

I’ve always viewed the Lego designers as a talented team as you mentioned in your comment also - some of their work on Rey in particular helps emphasise her female nature due to a thinner waist with larger hips. So i think that just having a bunch of pieces used in a similar way on other sets just combined together would be a bit of a let down in the design process rather than doing something to emphasise the set as having one gender or the other.

While these designs are basic, the idea of an outline for male and female is used on the more humanised Star Wars sets a majority of the time - so was wondering why Bionicle doesn’t seem to follow that pattern? How is gender defined in G2 in terms of how the characters are represented in set form? What aspects of the set design reflect it?

The shell placement is the same, the size, colour and the under bones are different. Though i don’t feel colour can adequately determine a gender. Rey’s representation also has a different design to Gali’s, so claiming that she looks kind of like Rey is a little odd - as I’d question why Lego didn’t do the same design if so (mostly the body design)

Yes, i agree its alright if a set has a more masculine OR more feminine body OR is gender neutral, it doesn’t matter to me as much as the idea of how we’d recognise a sets gender based on the set design alone in order to develop the idea of a sets character.

Its aspects like this, that refer back to the top of this post. How do we distinguish whether a character is male or female from set form on its own. Disregarding the colour scheme as i view that as interchangeable and not reliable given Korgot.

You mention you can see Umarak viewed as female, which aspects make you come to that viewpoint? Why would Tahu’s set design automatically be considered male? Or are all the bodies just effectively suitable for male or female and the gender is not represented in the sets?

I’d hope for the G2 Mask Of Time - given that since we got a bit more information about it I’d expect to see it appear during the first three years of G2. Though admittedly it could easily just be whatever mask Umarak The Destroyer is wearing, which could just be a dark warped version of the Mask Of Control. Its much more likely it’ll be Umarak The Destroyers mask.

Personally though would expect Umarak The Destroyer to retain his horns, they seemed to define his character. Either retaining the horns or having a mask that now has horns (E.g. Mask Of Control turned black with the horns pointed upwards or forwards)

Something like;
Winter 2015; Mask Of Creation
Summer 2015; Kulta Mask
Winter 2016; Mask Of Control
Summer 2016; Umarak’s Mask
Winter 2017; Mask Of Ultimate Power
Summer 2017; Mask Of Time (both halves combined)

We dont, we are just simply told they are male and female, but we can all view them as male or female however we like to, despite their masculine and/or feminine features. Thats the beauty of this new world, and LEGO in general for what it stands for. Creativity, Imagination, Determination, Deliberation.

1 Like

Here’s an order I placed on the 31st. My god, these prices are good.

I’m also going to nip into Tesco on the way home to get fuel for my bike, and maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe check the toy aisle :wink:

6 Likes

Lucky. I expect to see great MOCs from you using those parts. XP

1 Like

Hope I get away with getting two polybags when I go get Umarak and Uxar. Their prices seperately is worth the bare minimum for a promotional bag…also I need two capes for making a larger cape, the second MoC mask I can give to my nephew.

1 Like

So i ended up placing this last night after seeing some of the intriguing ways the moulding goes for Umarak, hopefully will get a few good blends. Should be shipping tomorrow and be here before Friday, if lucky :3

http://i.imgur.com/bWv7nef.png

Bigger haul will be in a double points month to make the most of things :3

Well, until confirmation on gender i suppose. Though i guess it is a nice idea that a set could appeal neutral enough.

Yeah, getting a couple of duplicates due to the price.

Wish you luck, checked a few stores though and most still haven’t got an idea of what they are putting out for January in terms of new stock, mostly trying to get rid of old stock (Including some of the Winter sets on sale)

2 Likes

Every good nephew needs a MoC. XP

1 Like

We have bulky males, but we also have skinny males such as Kivoda and Lewa (at least most think he should not be masculine, me included)

And we have two girl characters that are not really feminine and one of them is actually really masculine, most masculine of all of the protectors in fact.
So where are the more feminine characters? Isn’t that what diversity is all about,
to have characters that represent many physiques, not just one?

I in no way mean that the third version of Gali should suddenly have anorexia because changing the physique of the character is not the right direction either. I just hope we will have more female characters that are more feminine, but I more than hope if we see Korgot again she keeps her wide shoulders.

5 Likes

I think if you combine korgots torso with some loong and sleek legs, the build looks really feminine! I’m really excited of what we will see in the future. As for 2016 Gali… Idk… she looked feminine in the renders but seeing all the reviews… dunno O.o

1 Like

I’m going to go to some stores tomorrow so I can get a second Ketar for the tan vorox piece to fix pohatu

why do I end up buying the “worst” sets the most… I have LoSS 3 times and scorpio and slicer 2 times. I gues part packs.

1 Like

Yeah, bad sets sometimes have good parts…

BUT SLICER IS AMAZING!

2 Likes

Slicer gives you all the trans green!

See, Scar, Pohatu and Gali actually use different upper arm shells. Pohatu’s are the 4M variant, while Gali uses the 3M variant. Also, there’s the fact that Gali has smaller arms (although I have started to see my Pohatu and Lewa as feminine), and… really, I agree with you. I think that the only reason I had a change of heart was because Gali threw my hormones out of balance after assembly. XP

2 Likes

I’ve tried several Tesco’s.

They had nothing…

1 Like

You’re ALL wrong. Gail is an alien. Your arguments are moot. :wink:

5 Likes

Anyone else want to know what Umarak’s personal Shadow Trap might be used for?

1 Like

I actualy enjoyed slicer more than skull warrior

1 Like

Thank you, Tarvaax; thank you. :smile:

So did I :smile_cat:

1 Like