Bionicle 2016 revamps by NOTaHFfan (Toa, Umarak and Ekimu)

Hello everyone!

The last time I posted a MOC on this site was about… (checks notes) a freaking eternity ago, so it’s, like, time to fix this or something, I guess…

And I’m going to do exactly that by posting eight MOCs at once. In one topic, naturally, because I don’t want to clog up the timeline and these are best viewed as a group.

(My background is really struggling to contain all of them, I even had to resort to magical editing trickery)

This is a series of G2 set revamps I built about two years ago.
I’ve always had mixed feelings about the sets from the first half of 2016. On one hand, they had great designs, interesting new pieces, they were complex enough not to be boring to build. On the other hand, the proportions of the characters were absolutely atrocious, with most of them having limbs too short for their bodies and either weirdly placed or excessively wide shoulders. And that’s not talking about some really strange colour schemes and colour choices that didn’t work at all.

Despite all the problems of the sets, they still had a special place in my heart (for some bizarre reason that I don’t really want to get into), which is the main reason why I decided to revamp them in the first place, creating definitive versions of each character, exactly the way I want to see them.

As you can see, these builds don’t follow my current MOCing style whatsoever. This is because the main rule I gave myself while building them was to stay as close to the original colour schemes and designs as possible, while fully reworking the builds and improving them in every way I could. Well, that and also the fact that building 8 fully fledged MOCs in my current style would put a galaxy sized dent in my part collection and sanity.

Let’s start with the Toa I mean Uniters I mean Toa I mean Uniters I mean-

TAHU, UNITER OF FIAAAAAHHHHH

original set for reference

The most complex build in the series, mainly because of me wanting to attach the golden shoulder pads at an adequate angle (with is impossible without employing some bizarre geometry in the internal structure).

Other changes worth mentioning are the increased amount of blue in the colour scheme, considerably narrower shoulders and a more natural neck position

KOPAKA, UNITER OF I didn’t slip

Original set, reference for

The main challenge with this one was trying to balance out the colour scheme of the original and making it work and make sense. For that I got rid of the two cringe golden pieces and increased the amount of dark blue by a margin

GALI, UNITER OF M O I S T U R E

Set original, reference for

IMG_2503

Gali received the most substantial visual update out of the entire lineup. I think that the original set is one of the worst Bionicle sets in existence, rivalling the likes of Solek and the Bohrok Kal, with its absolutely atrocious proportions (short legs, short arms, looong torso, zero neck - pretty much an artist’s worst nightmare) and shaping, basically looking like a selection of random parts thrown together at the very last minute before the deadline by an overworked, tired Lego employee (as you can probably tell, I don’t like Gali 2016), so making her not look like a mutated abomination of the Pit was the main priority for me.

I think I did a decent job with the parts I had to work with, but if not for the serious restrictions said parts had given me, it would have been better.

I did this quick edit to illustrate what I mean:

I’m the photoshop god

If we lived in a perfect world, 1) I would be a famous and talented artist, 2) Bionicle G2 would be a very successful theme and would still be running to this day and 3) my Gali revamp would look like this:

The real build is on the right, while the edited one is on the left.
If Lego made an exclusive chestplate piece with feminine shaping for just one Star Wars CCBS figure, why couldn’t have they made one for Bionicle?
I also changed the colour of the translucent CCBS bones from Kopaka’s blue to Gali’s dark blue (I don’t understand why Lego couldn’t have done this themselves) and the colour of the blade to a shade different from Kopaka’s. I really wish all those things were real and not some crude editing :pensive:
If only we lived in a perfect world :weary:

LEEEWAHHHH, UNITER OF AIR… or maybe PLANTLIFE, if you insist hard enough (no Lego, there’s no way I’m calling it ““““““JuNgLe””””””)

For set original, reference

The set looked fairly nice, but had a pretty severe stubby limbs problem, so that was the main thing I wanted to fix. I also added green “vines” to some of Lewa’s armour parts to make him look more tied to the forest environment.

Also, one thing that I think should be addressed is that I got rid of the torso pieces with the pelvic gear function on the three smaller/leaner Toa (Gali, Lewa and Pohatu) and replaced them with shorter torso pieces from the SW CCBS sets, which allowed me to make their legs longer, drastically improving the proportions, while keeping all their heights the same as in the sets, and gave me a lot more flexibility in choosing head and arm attachment points.

ONUA, UNITER OF i didn’t come up with a joke for this one

Reference set. For original

The only character in the group, whose proportions I kept exactly the same as in the set. The main priority in this revamp was to add bulk to everything and improve the shaping, because the original set looked very skeletal, which is the complete opposite of what G2 Onua is supposed to be.

POTATO, MASTER OF SCORPION HATE

Resetference orforiginal

The revamp I put the least effort in. Honestly, 2016 Pohatu was such a boring set, that making it interesting would require me to redesign it from scratch, completely changing the build, the colour scheme and the weapon, which goes against the rules I established for these revamps. So, boring Pohatu it is.
Pretty much the only more or less inspired thing about this MOC is the revered weapon. While keeping the general concept the same, I turned it from a copy of Gali’s spear with a rock awkwardly attached to it into a more or less conventional flail (though, according to some medieval weapons experts on YouTube, flail is not a conventional weapon at all, but what do I know?)

Also, I think it should be obvious by now, but I’ll say it regardless: there’s no way to attach the totem creatures to these because I’m not a fan of the original totem creature system, I think it should be fully reworked. Which is again, completely against the rules I had given myself.

So these were the six Toa, now its time for

EKIMU, UNITER OF UNITERS

ecnerefer rof tes lanirigo

I’ve already been writhing this for long enough (fun fact: I’ve been writing this post bit by bit for the past two weeks), so just take everything I said about my design process for the 6 Toa, combine it together, and you’ll get Ekimu

UMARAK, THE HUNTER (no joke here because Umarak is based)

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Finally, the moment I’ve been waiting for (woooo yeah baby, that’s what it’s all about and all that)

Ahhh Umarak the Hunter, the best G2 set. It’s so good, in fact, that it almost balances out the awfulness of the 2016 Gali (almost).

This revamp is basically the main reason why this topic exists at the first place. It’s quite unique compared to the other ones as well, because unlike the Toa and Ekimu, whom I reworked from ground up, this one is still the original set at its core, to which I just added a bunch of stuff (yeah, the set is that good)

My goal was to make Umarak more monstrous and cryptid-like, so I added a lot more spikes, more dark red and more dark reddish brown to the colour scheme to make him look more like the evil spirit of the forest he is supposed to be, I think (I’m not all that adept at G2 lore)

Dang, this topic was a mouthful… I promise I’ll never to it again or maybe I will

So, this was my incorrect summary of the funny Bionicle G2 lore featuring sussy imposters.

This has been NOTaHFfan, thanks for viewing, tell me what you think and have a good day

36 Likes

Very solid revamps all around. I enjoy looking at subtle shaping and added detail with my eyes, really brings these characters to life

Also I think Pohatu’s weapon is much better oriented this way and thank you for getting rid of his toxic sludge forearms

You should

6 Likes

Very nice! I particularly like the Gali and Umarak revamps. Gali actually looks feminine instead of ridiculous, and you managed to make the orange Vorox plates look good! Umarak also now looks less like a slightly taller Skull Warrior and more like his own dude, the brown fur bits on the arms are a really nice touch.

6 Likes

i like them all a lot
onua’s chest is a bit funny tho

4 Likes

Wow, nice work! You did a great job with the six Toa (especially working with, in my mind, very poor starting material), especially Gali. Not that I like the original Gali any less than the other originals, but the slimmer look definitely suits her.

For Ekimu, I really liked the original shoulder armor and the way it flared out in a V, so it’s somewhat of a downgrade in my eyes to remove that. Nevertheless, he looks good otherwise and is apparently such a boss that he can wear the Scroll of Forbidden Spinjitzu as a loincloth. =P

Umarak is awesome. The original set was okay; this is awesome. He really does look like a forest demon. Serious kudos to you.

6 Likes

oh wow these are incredible
Ekimu looks absolutely god-like, i like the added chonk to umarak, and the others are all very good, tho i will say that i think gali’s upper arms are a little too thin and i could live without the tires on pohatu’s thighs - still, amazing work!

4 Likes

these look fantastic! I really like that you actually put effort into making their backs look good and not all the same, and the changes you made to the weapons vastly improve them, especially when it comes to kopaka, gali and pohatu (though Im pretty sure lewas are still the same… I mean they are pretty dead simple to begin with)

yes, please do

4 Likes

which apparently did not encompass editing out the bottom edge of that background

While this is a very faithful reimagining of the set, the presence of so much gold along with red on translucent orange makes for a moc with all the same problems as its predecessor - except now with calves that don’t match. It would be more interesting if the blue was bumped up to a more noticeable accent color, maybe even replacing the translucent orange.

Also you sharpied the feet. :angry:

With cornpaka, he also is a very faithful reimagining of the set, but this time it’s the opposite - many of the problems here have been reduced. His shield gun is no longer a projectile weapon, and his shoulder armor ties wonderfully in with his back. Removing the gold is something I don’t like conceptually, as the gold made the master set so special, but it does make for a better looking Uniter.

Also, I think you sharpied the tires. :angry:

I hate the Uniter armor so much

Gali’s slimmer shoulders look abominable with that stupid armor piece, as she now has the widest ribcage and the most compressed shoulders. Were it swapped with her torso armor from the Master set, it would be improved significantly.

Back greeble is also very flush, although the calves are sus on such a transparent surface.

The vines are good from the front, but from the back they look messyMessi I think the studs on the shins seem out of place, considering the rest of the visuals are all angles and those are glowing circles.

Also, you sharpied the hips :angry:

How about “the calf-effort” because the calves are a half effort at best :smirk:

The open socket there is a bit murderous rage inducing, but I do applaud you for the work on his back and the attempt at giving him a broad torso again. It ended up clunky, but it’s still a better visual than the set.

Also, you sharpied every black piece just to mess with me :angry:

Potato’s french fry-thin upper arms are here, and just as conflicting with the rest of him as before. It’s a good conflict though. Otherwise, there’s not much to say here; good, but a bit too simple for me.

When the original set came out, he had a severe issue of the printed gold not matching the pearl gold pieces across his body. Now, that problem is increased by 20% due to the positioning and proximity of pieces. It’s not a problem that can be fixed while still using the Uniter torso armor piece, unfortunately.

Visually the best of the bunch. Already the visual appeal is greatly increased, with the green gap between tire and leg armor implying his body courses with energy, much like his mask. The asymmetrical hands are a bit lost in the bow, however, and seem like poorly-placed icing on the cake.

But the rest of him is solid.

Also, you sharpied the nothing. :angry:

if any of the eggs in your fridge gain eyeballs,

haha made u look

7 Likes

me when no jungle: :sunglasses:

anyways, these are very nice. I like how at first glance there aren’t too many differences, but when you look closer they’re a lot better. I’m not too fond of the gold pieces on the side of onua’s torso (they’re a bit clunky and mess with the flow), but everything else looks great

6 Likes

hunter the hunter

4 Likes

@Atobe_Brick thank you very much!

Yeah, I never understood that design choice. I was originally planning to keep just the translucent bones in the forearms for consistency’s sake, because all other Toa have them there, but all my translucent parts in that colour went here, so I gave up on the idea. I think I even like it better this way

@Minethuselah thank you!

Yes, I’m glad that you noticed. Making him stand out as his own thing next to the Sppoky Scary Skeletons was one of my main intentions, I just forgot to mention it in the original post.

@GoodGuy2006

Yeah, that’s quite a sad situation… the Uniter chestplate is an fiddly piece to work with because it doesn’t give you much room for customisation. I have thought about adding something made out of system on top of it somehow, but that would cover up the chest print and not look very nice.

@MooCowsRock thank you very much!

I can see that, it’s definitely a unique silhouette. But to me these particular pieces have always resembled something akin to samurai shoulder armour with those layered “plates”, that’s why I decided to angle them downwards, like on a real armour set

I mean, he did obliterate Skull Grinder who was wearing the mask of creation with one hit in a weakened form, if I remember correctly, so he absolutely has enough swagger to do something like that.

@Rhyla416 thanks a lot!

Yeah, basically there was this dilemma: the smallest CCBS shells looked too thick on the upper arms, while just the bare CCBS bones were too thin, so I kind of settled on a middle ground, which is adding tires.

Me too, actually. They don’t really do anything besides disrupting the colour scheme. The only reason they’re still there is that I was too lazy to take them off before taking the pictures.

@wild_toa thank you very much!

Yeah, this comes at the expense of the combination functions with the beasts, but that’s no big sacrifice because the “combinations” weren’t all that good to begin with.

although I was slacking on Kopaka and Umarak’s backs a bit

They are exactly the same. I think it’s a sufficient enough design, so I didn’t feel like changing it in any way when I build Lewa.

Sigh okay, I will :sunglasses:

@Cordax thank you!

Based jungle opinion, my friend :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Eh, I think the way I attached them is so clever that I don’t really feel like getting rid of them. Maybe replacing them with ones in black would fix the issue. These pieces do exist in black, I just don’t have them.

Based. Great reference

And finally, at last @Ghid I’m coming for you

Juno was mad, he knew he’d been had So he shot at the sun with a gun

I had used up so much magic buy that point that I ran out of mana.

The original unedited pic looked like this

So you should be feeling lucky that I didn’t upload it in this state originally :triumph:

What do you mean, the original set literally had just two red pieces, it’s a massive improvement

Yes I did, five years ago, but the scars are just as deep.

But believe me, I have changed my ways since. Actually, you don’t need to believe me because you’ve seen my newer MOCs and know that this is true

Warcrimes of the past

Me too, but I have to work with it for consistency’s sake.

Have you seen the picture this hidden text:

You will like what you’ll see there.

Consistency with the other Uniters once I replace the torso piece:

I actually have a representation of how jarring it will look:

(My revamps of the same sets from 4000 BCA)

Please ignore how awful these builds are and focus on Gali’s chest and how out of place it is.

Warcrimes of the past

You know someone is dad when they make jokes like this

Yay :blush:

I can neither confirm nor deny

Awwww :pensive:

Yaaay :blush:

Well, I did say that I put the least effort into this one

Well, I would like to use some pieces In the new gold colour Lego introduced a few years back, but I haven’t bought a single set in three years, so it’s not happening.

The asymmetrical hands came to be because I didn’t have enough parts to build a second non bow-wielding hand, I just decided to push the narrative that this bug is actually a feature (cyberpunk developers pretending that their game isn’t broken)

So, you liked 3 out of 8. Good enough result in in my book

Speaking of book, :eye: :eye:

You never know

I’m going to steal your vertebra and drink the spinal cord from it

11 Likes

that’s where you’re wrong, wungler :sunglasses:

6 Likes
Shot at the sun with a gun Shot at his wily one, only friend

Man so many typos I can’t read this :pensive:

Hey, you’re right :sunglasses:

There is an inside joke from Iliad I want to use but I can’t

that’s the chest armor you big dum-

You sharpied the Uniter armors.

Nuremburg of the right now

socks and sandals :sunglasses: :older_man: :man_in_manual_wheelchair: :man_in_motorized_wheelchair: :skull:

You bought a 3-in-1 didn’t you :dizzy_face:

(ghid pretending that he knows how to write)

do you remember the egg recipe from that pm i sent you that involved copious amounts of meat

4 Likes

Hehe loincloth

Super solid builds all round, especially umarak

5 Likes

Why’d you withdraw that post? It was very wholesome.

RIP wholesome post, I guess…

Thank you!

You understand mechanical hands Are the ruler of everything Ruler of everything

You and your bad eyesight :pensive:
Read it again, but this time go get some glasses you :older_man:

And you wrote the Bo_.
We all make mistakes.

Yes,
3 megatons of enriched uranium in 1 body pillow being hurled in your direction

10 Likes

if you give me ten bucks I’ll unremove the post

6 Likes

here you go :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:

5 Likes

He means 🫎🫎🫎🫎🫎🫎🫎🫎🫎🫎

4 Likes

I give you ten bucks from the hundred you owe me :sunglasses:

6 Likes

boom done

4 Likes