BIONICLE Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker, Part 2 (Art)

I always imagined it as GBs giving Olisi to Karzahni as a consolation prize. You didn’t win, but you can imagine what could have been with this mask.

2 Likes

Is it allowed just to copy a photo from all of the ones provided by the winner and turn them into a drawing, or tracing them, I think that shouldn’t be allowed, to encourage creativity.
And also, can we include other characters in the background?

You cannot literally trace the photo.

But I don’t think there is any rule against copying a pose.

Yes, other characters can be included, so long as they are canon characters with completely canon designs, and they do not overshadow Artakha.

2 Likes

This contest has motivated me a lot, to the point of wanting to participate, although I’m still not sure, since I am not a great artist. I think the most complex thing will be to create a new mask.

But we all know that it should be gold to match the others Legendary Masks (wink, wink).

uh… so question, regarding this rule.

5. We encourage your entry to be recognizably within the BIONICLE world. However, we have no restriction on art styles.
5a. While we accept any style, we do not permit any character artwork featuring any characters that appears too human. Examples of that would be a lack of technical/BIONICLE pieces or elements, or human faces on Kanohi.

Does this also include faces that are more like the first three Movies? Organic elements tied in with the mechanical?

For example, like this piece of Toa Lhikan I’ve drawn.

Really I’d just like some clarification so as not to assume that a detail, however small, is in the clear and then get disqualified for it.

That is all, thank you!

3 Likes

IIRC, an entry for the Helryx art utilized purple “tissue” to simulate the miramax film style and had no issues. Your Lhikan seems to emulate that general style, so I don’t see why it would be a problem. And since Turaga Dume’s movie design was used in a 2008 comic
there is a precedence for those movie designs popping up outside of that medium. But I may be mistaken @Mesonak @Eljay

-Sol

7 Likes

Um, I believe at least one entry last time did essentially trace the photo:

@Solaris_Magnus Thank you for posting that image, the community at large often seems to forget that it exists. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

An argument could be made that that was stylized, however minor. It’s trickier to pick out some of the individual pieces on the arms. It’s not very original, but I would say it is within the rules.

Copying the pose is completely okay, if a bit unoriginal.

I’m really looking forward to everyone’s artwork! Feel free to stylize and mask design/recolor to your hearts content, I won’t mind at all! :heart:

(Also I’d love it if you could tag me in your entry topics to I don’t miss any of them!)

22 Likes

Does rule 6b also apply, if you create the base model in one of those programs (for having accurate part models) and then further edit it in Blender? (e.g. Materials, posing, the occasional part edit, custom mask ofc and custom background scenery)

I’ll atleast use a 3D rendering as a perspective reference for a drawing, if that’s allowed.

Weren’t it said before the moc contest, that the winning entry could be any green and any other color besides the green, because in the final art poll, the entries should all be just grey-green/sand-green, because Greg said that Artakha had no additional colors?
Link: Official Greg Dialogue | Page 264

Kind of redundant isn’t it? The ranked voting system already took care of that.

It really do be redundant, but I don’t really care-

I made that artwork freehand, therefore the comment that I traced the photo is incorrect.

2 Likes

Oops! Sorry for making the assumption. :wink:

1 Like

Apology accepted :slight_smile: thank you.

2 Likes

Yes, that was said.

What are you asking here?

EDIT: Are you asking if another colour could be added, like gold?

In that case, the Artakha recolouring rule is irrelevant. That only applies to green → sand green changes.

The addition of other colours would be covered in the general rules.

The only thing that I can say for sure is that the mask CAN be recoloured.

@Eljay

What does this mean? ‘sand grey’? Was it meant to say sand green?

And does this mean that the Art can still recolour him to a different shade of gray-green?

It was a typo. It was meant to be sand green.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Meet the Maker: Entry List

1. Is Artakha’s green Mata Green (Lewa’s green), Metru Green (Matau’s green), or lime green (Lewa Nuva 2008’s green)?
  2. None of the three. His armor is described as gray-green – that’s the actual color, it’s not green plus a secondary color of gray. It’s gray-green, the color, like blue-green is a color.

The moc is more gunmetal grey than actual grey/sand-green, look at the quote, it is only greygreen. If we go for accuracy of Greg’s own description, the artworks should/could recolor the gunmetal grey on the moc into sand/grey-green, and the rules should allow that.

2 Likes