BIONICLE Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker, Part 2 (Art)

Or, at the very least, Bionicle words that only came from the Agori/Glatorian, and thus, would be based on Latin instead of, say, the Maori tongue that a lot of Matoran words were based off of. Writing down English words but with a different alphabet might break the worldbuiling, so maybe we should try to make the text look like it was written only with Latin-esque words (excluding any names written in the text, which obviously could include ones that didn’t necessarily sound Latin, such as “Angonce” or “Tren Krom”).

Another thing that I think could be interesting to do would be, as an easter egg, to include names that could possibly be the names of other great beings who helped build Artakha (though, of course, we wouldn’t confirm or deny if they were names of great beings), and their names could be based on those of people who worked on Bionicle, like Bob Thompson, Alistair Swinnerton, Christian Faber, C. A. Hapka, and Greg Farshtey*, like how the Order of Mata Nui agents Johmak, Jerbraz, and Tobduk were named after the artists who worked on BIONICLE: World: John McCormack, Jeremy Brazeal, and Toby Dutkiewicz. :slightly_smiling_face:

*Please forgive me if I spelled any of their names wrong.

Nice! :+1:
Can we decipher what the characters (written symbols, not persons in a story) in this pic mean?

Yeah, what is this “Agori number system”?

4 Likes

Yes, I have considered this as well, but I was reluctant to include it, because I think it is (more?) likely that those are different writing systems found in different cultures, Mata Nui explored.
That said, Mata Nui did have knowledge of Agori, but I would expect all of the “scanning and analysis” to be done in matoran (the programming language).

@Jathru_Cranli have you had a look at my findings as well? I think it is quite safe to assume that those symbols are Agori. Some of the symbols are repeating and some words even point to specific objects. So if you want to reverse engineer, this might be ideal.

All of this of course, can serve as inspiration for the runes on Artakha’s armor and mask.

1 Like

@ToaKebaka Indeed, I have,-- and what an amazing find it is! :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

Maybe the key to understanding this text is figuring-out what the isolated words (by which, I mean the ones other than that giant box of text) are saying.
Hmm… What could the two, three, and four-letter words that pop up in the Skrall scanning mean? :thinking:

2 Likes

I have a few ideas, but I feel like this should go into its own topic…

3 Likes

@ the whole double color debate

It is true that sometimes characters are described with both their colors, but in other cases they are not. For instance the first couple pages of Legends 1-3 that introduce the main cast (even describing Avak as tan).

“Tahnok,” Gali muttered sourly as more than a dozen red figures burst out of the woods.

Takua stared at the wave rushing toward him, mesmerized by its size and power. Suddenly a huge red figure appeared at the far side of the river, blending in with the fiery color of the lava.

“Well, we’re all free,” said the red armored being. “Now what? Anyone know where we are… or who we are?”
[in reference to Tahu]

As for what Surel was saying -

that’s the actual color, it’s not green plus a secondary color of gray.

I don’t think this is meant as “no, there can’t be any gray”, but just to say that the gray-green part specifically is not referring to a secondary gray.

3 Likes

Well, if you build it, I will come. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:
(And if it gets built, it should probably be done fast,-- we’ve only got about 16 days left on the art portion.)

2 Likes

These are quick photos, but I don’t think it’s gunna hold up to higher-res scans either unfortunately. Hope it’s some help though.

3 Likes

Wow, thank you very much!

1 Like

I just want to point out the possibility that those symbols don’t necessarily translate into individual English letters. It is possible that each symbol represents larger sounds or entire words (For example, instead of a symbol translating to “t,” it could translate to “ta.”

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it make sense to include these symbols then? I think it’s accurate to how the mask is described: “-each reflecting one of the many cultures that flourished in the universe-” I think it’s a solid foundation at least. Either way I’m sure the artists won’t have difficulty conjuring up their own funky runes. :grin:

Ah yes, phonemes! That’s a great approach.

2 Likes

Ok, the topic is done!
https://board.ttvchannel.com/t/agari-language-reverse-engineering/56471

5 Likes

Wow. :smiley: That was fast!
Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

2 Likes

In the text, universe refers to the Matoran Universe (aka Great Spirit Robot), meanwhile what @ToaKebaka is refering are the cultures in the universe universe, when Mata Nui went Star Trek, to seek out new life and new civilizations in other planets.

4 Likes

other people, deciphering the agori language to determine what kind of graffiti to put on artakha’s bicep tattoos:image

me, just waiting for someone to finally submit their artwork:

10 Likes

This took me about 5 minutes:

As a supporter of the gold mask, I think this looks pretty good.

(I don’t suppose I could enter this? :thinking:)

6 Likes

I have made flat dark gold and pearl gold recolour.
Flat dark gold looks better imo

7 Likes

Maybe, but that takes effort to edit.

The top one looks better than the bottom one, but I honestly think that an even brighter gold would look better than both of them.

If we’re talking official Lego colours though, I think the darker gold would be the way to go, based on your edits.

What does it look like in Copper (Copper Mask of Victory shade)?

2 Likes

It took me only 8 minutes to do this recolours
Those two are brighter pearl golds colours. Below are copper.
Im not happy how the copper turned out here it doesn look like those masks of victory. Maybe because copper has different textrure than plastic.

5 Likes

EDIT: I see I have been beaten to it.

@Raylen52

The gold is definitely better.

Yup, correct.