BIONICLE Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker

From what I was told earlier, yeah. I would imagine theres a decent grace-area for how much that means as long as you aim for around there

I have a serious problem with that 60% lower limit. Plenty of that is self-serving I’ll say straight up, as this came without any warning whatsoever and I’ve had a moc in the work that now risks being disqualified. But there’s a wider problem with the coloring rules as a whole here. For purist moccists, ie the majority of entrants, there’s been a long recognition here and elsewhere that “grey-green” lego colors like sand green are obstructively rare in constraction parts and many were planning to supplement it with more common greens. To now prevent that and also maintain a hard coloring cap with no warning, in a contest for one of the largest mocs (ie highest parts count) that’s a week shorter than the last one is…just off. These are the kind of hard requirements that should have been given to people before the start of the contest. There are reasonable expectations for how people should prepare for moc contests whether researching characters and shopping for parts, planning their designs. But these rules are a specificity that goes beyond what few story quotes people had on Artakha and should have expected. Springing it now at the start of an even shorter contest is seriously not cool.

And the coloring lower limit especially seems like something that should be a guideline rather than a hard rule, similar to how toa heights are given 9in as a guideline. The logic behind more ambiguous decisions of moc making like how much of one color or another needs to be there have so far been left to an elegant solution - let voters be the quality control, put the risk on the entrant. I hope ttv will consider doing the same here.

12 Likes

Wait, is it a cap? I thought it meant at least. If it’s a cap that’s absolutely ridiculous

@Eljay can we get some clarification?

I meant lower limit, not cap.

1 Like

I suppose I should clarify myself too; I, upon rereading the rule, interpreted it as saying “no more, no less”

I’d still like to hear what Eljay means by “approximately”, as I thought it meant “at least”… If it’s no more no less thats even more absurd than I had already mistook it as

Hey, a group of people and I have been working on a project to catalog the heights of sets in-universe. More details here:

If anyone wants to build an Artakha that conforms to this data, he should be at least 265 mm tall. You can see this value on the “Nonset Characters” sheet on “Set Heights V2” or by using the calculator.

Some points of reference:

Brutaka is 11.21 feet tall
Umbra is 9.81 feet tall
Icarax is 10.57 feet tall

3 Likes

Can’t wait to see all the amazing MOCs again!

I’m really disappointed there are still people here being defeatist about the whole thing. Ticks me off almost as much as it does Eljay.

Here’s hoping we can all be positive here and have a lot of fun with this one!

5 Likes

I’ll be direct.

(Sorry for the poor photo quality, I’m working on a half-decent lighting set up.)

Here’s my Artakha as he stands now. As I said earlier, most of the sand-green is located in the arms and legs. Is it at risk for disqualification?

(And yeah, it’s not that great of a MOC. I don’t expect it to make it past the first round, let alone win.)

10 Likes

I’d worry more about the two different greens you have going, I think thats automatically a deal breaker for the judges here

2 Likes

Wow, must have skimmed past that rule. Sounds… really unnecessary if you’re already including sand-green, but it’s too late for me to change that.

Guess I’ll post him as “Green Ekimu the Forbidden One” or something like that.

3 Likes

I’m new to the TTV website, so I don’t know where I should upload my moc.

Does anyone plan to enter within the next few days? Despite 100 comments, there are no entries.

Welp, I return from my long slumber for this one. Been building him for a while, happy to see this contest started. Topic link: Artakha - The Creator (Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker). Best of luck to all, here’s to a fun contest!

-Solaris Magnus

6 Likes

I’m pretty much certain you’re right about it meaning “at least.” I think what he was really intending was to say that it was the primary color, but didn’t want people to think it should overpower everything else, so he gave 60 percent as a rough estimate.

This was freaking hilarious, thank you guys for this.

9 Likes

Yeah haha. Speak of the devil.

XD Perfect timing haha.

3 Likes

I arise from a slumber of literally years for this. I don’t think I’m legally allowed to not enter this contest.

13 Likes

Genuine question here. I understand the “one green rule” exists so it can be recolored into sand-green in the artwork.

Can there be an exception if the MOC already uses sand-green alongside another shade, or is the rule set in stone?

Asking for a friend.

That friend being me.

… I don’t have friends.

:’(

5 Likes

Here’s hoping that this contest goes smoothly

3 Likes