BIONICLE Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker

Sand green + another green being allowed sounds like a good deal. Also great that the contest duration is extended.

It is a bit early for this, maybe, but I would like to propose artists also eventually being allowed to work with two greens as long as sand green is the primary one. That would contribute to getting the looks of the actual MOC across better should two greens being used on the winning entry be a thing.

4 Likes

The other green will need to be recolored to sand green. It will not be retained in the artwork.

2 Likes

Can’t help but notice there are 3 other entries, but they have not been submitted here. . . :confused: Oh boy.

3 Likes

May be worth reminding them. We’ll do what we can, but we also wrote the rules… and people need to be reading those.

3 Likes

Here is my entry. Bionicle Canon contest #2: meet the maker. Artahka the King of Creation

2 Likes
3 Likes

My official entry to the contest. I was told to post it here?

5 Likes

I don’t like these rules very much. If somebody builds a lime green Artakha that has to be recoloured for the artwork then the “canon” model will require extensive painting to recreate. The percentage requirement is also quite limiting.

And as someone who wasn’t too thrilled about the outcome of the Helryx contest, I’ve gotta second that earlier request for the possibility of discontinuing the contests.

Shame Artakha ended up coming second, and not something lower-risk like the Hagah.

1 Like

This assumes it wins. Someone has already built a lime green Artakha.

Vote and campaign for the entries you want to win.

-sigh- I swear…

9 Likes

Color wise, given the nature that the canon entry is ultimately the artwork, not the MOC, I think it’s more than reasonable. These set of contests don’t really have direct MOC replicability to the art as a criteria. And for Studio MOCs, they can be any color available in the program, whether that color exists in a LEGO set at all. Model would not need to be recolored, but making the set yourself requires recoloring. Hard to get around when characters in these contests use colors that are virtually non-existent in conventional constraction pieces.

As for discontinuing, I’ve read enough to see that TTV is not going to do that. And I agree. I put this in my (lime) entry post, but I’ll echo it here. All the negativity that rose up from the Helryx contest was disappointing and upsetting. The fact we even have these contests at all is a miracle. Its a great chance to celebrate BIONICLE’s anniversary and bring life to characters we haven’t truly seen, in a year where official recognition of the theme has been non-existent. It should be fun, exciting, and a chance for members of the community to express their creativity and care for something that means alot to all. Constantly saying to end the contests really goes against the spirit of them in the first place. Not meant as a call out to anyone, I just want to see these be fun and exciting, and try to shy away from previous contests pitfalls!

-Solaris Magnus

6 Likes

That’s against the rules m8

The extra week is a blessing and so is reestablishing the list, thank you Eljay

Still trying to decide if I should gamble on getting that resin mask or just go for building my own. Seems as though the KhingK mask is popular enough already though

6 Likes

You can’t just not support the contest anymore because you didn’t like the winner. That is far and away the worst reason I have ever heard for wanting to stop the contests.

If you didn’t like the controversy that was generated, that is fair, but I think you need to give it a few more contests to see what happens.

But I interpreted your comment to mean that you supported the contests, but now want to stop them because you didn’t like the winner for Helryx. Am I correct?

2 Likes

But I interpreted your comment to mean that you supported the contests, but now want to stop them because you didn’t like the winner for Helryx. Am I correct?

I voted against the contests originally.

“Giving it a few more contests to see how it goes” would be fine if the results of those contests weren’t permanent.

1 Like

Fair enough then.

My entry is here!

Solaris_Magnus send me here, so, thanks man!

3 Likes

One issue I have now that while contesters are required to give a minimum of three photos, three photos are not actually enough to tell anyone how to recreate the moc. I think the minimum of breakdown photos should be higher due to the builds being more complex.

1 Like

My entry

1 Like

I thought the breakdown photos were for the staff so they could determine whether or not the build breaks the rules. I don’t think the participant are required to provide how-to’s for their mocs, that’s not what these contests are about, and never have been - it took years for fans to recreate the Melding Teridax, for example.

1 Like

Good point. The number of breakdown photos should be appropriate to the amount of pieces.

2 Likes

Last time, people complained that our minimum was 3.

We’re not changing it. The rule is not there for re-creators, it’s there to make sure people aren’t hiding 3D printed pieces.

4 Likes