BIONICLE Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker

Thank you.

1 Like

After talking with Meso, we agree with the frustrations expressed regarding the time frame and how the poll really screwed things up. As such, we’re extending the entry period by a week.

All subsequent contests will have two week entry periods. This will be the last one to feature three weeks.

23 Likes

I already answered you before about the same mattter, but this time I feel your argument this time is ironically in favor of more than one shade when I suppose you meant the opposite.

So… I don’t want to sound like a broken record but the contest already allow the use of sand green and another green, and the reasoning is that the artist would understand all green is suppose to be sand green… which to me leads to the conclusion that the same can be applied to any shade of green, not just sand green.

1. You can apply the recolor to any green.
  2. Being clean and so on is a aesthetic preference, not a valid reason behind a rule. In art there is often the exception to the rule so even a design principle isn’t enough. Otherwise any greebling attempt in a Moc would be discouraged. Some people already think of an ancient being when others think in a more pristine look.
  3. If you said it regarding the artist’s interpretation, then it is an excessive measure and the artist can understand a complex design.

If the MOCist is not from US and Europe and also purist (doesn’t conceive the option of painting) there is no way you can make it in time. You HAVE to make your entry in Studio in this case just to meet the limitation.

Once again, this should allow any green to be translated to sand green when the artist start their part.

Unless the color is another shade of green, which is a thing bionicle did numerous times again and again but right now is a no no ¬¬.

The contest have already started so a statement about this matter is important. Several users have already said this rule was a surprise.

Before anyone say something else to defend the rule, the point is that the rule is too restrictive and two shades seems fair to people who has complained about it and if you think those entries would have less chance of winning, then let the fans choose. I would go so far to allow any amount of greens but if that’s too much to ask, I get it. I’m proposing a middle ground.

Finally, since the time periods of this contest seem carved in stone and we are talking about the contest for future characters, I think the best would be to continue the discussion about those in the general topic.

Oh, that’s good. Forget about the two weeks issue.

1 Like

We are not altering the color rule any further than it has been already.

3 Likes

Now this is awesome!

That’s why I said “regardless of if it makes sense or not.”

I wasn’t saying whether it was a good rule or not, rather that the rules being posted only 2 weeks before the end may be a little short to give time to adjust to the rules, as they are not always predictable.

While there are arguments for this rule, there’s also arguments against it. A week ago, we would not have known the direction the rules here were going to take.

Sand green + another green being allowed sounds like a good deal. Also great that the contest duration is extended.

It is a bit early for this, maybe, but I would like to propose artists also eventually being allowed to work with two greens as long as sand green is the primary one. That would contribute to getting the looks of the actual MOC across better should two greens being used on the winning entry be a thing.

4 Likes

The other green will need to be recolored to sand green. It will not be retained in the artwork.

2 Likes

Can’t help but notice there are 3 other entries, but they have not been submitted here. . . :confused: Oh boy.

3 Likes

May be worth reminding them. We’ll do what we can, but we also wrote the rules… and people need to be reading those.

3 Likes

Here is my entry. Bionicle Canon contest #2: meet the maker. Artahka the King of Creation

2 Likes
3 Likes

My official entry to the contest. I was told to post it here?

5 Likes

I don’t like these rules very much. If somebody builds a lime green Artakha that has to be recoloured for the artwork then the “canon” model will require extensive painting to recreate. The percentage requirement is also quite limiting.

And as someone who wasn’t too thrilled about the outcome of the Helryx contest, I’ve gotta second that earlier request for the possibility of discontinuing the contests.

Shame Artakha ended up coming second, and not something lower-risk like the Hagah.

1 Like

This assumes it wins. Someone has already built a lime green Artakha.

Vote and campaign for the entries you want to win.

-sigh- I swear…

9 Likes

Color wise, given the nature that the canon entry is ultimately the artwork, not the MOC, I think it’s more than reasonable. These set of contests don’t really have direct MOC replicability to the art as a criteria. And for Studio MOCs, they can be any color available in the program, whether that color exists in a LEGO set at all. Model would not need to be recolored, but making the set yourself requires recoloring. Hard to get around when characters in these contests use colors that are virtually non-existent in conventional constraction pieces.

As for discontinuing, I’ve read enough to see that TTV is not going to do that. And I agree. I put this in my (lime) entry post, but I’ll echo it here. All the negativity that rose up from the Helryx contest was disappointing and upsetting. The fact we even have these contests at all is a miracle. Its a great chance to celebrate BIONICLE’s anniversary and bring life to characters we haven’t truly seen, in a year where official recognition of the theme has been non-existent. It should be fun, exciting, and a chance for members of the community to express their creativity and care for something that means alot to all. Constantly saying to end the contests really goes against the spirit of them in the first place. Not meant as a call out to anyone, I just want to see these be fun and exciting, and try to shy away from previous contests pitfalls!

-Solaris Magnus

6 Likes

That’s against the rules m8

The extra week is a blessing and so is reestablishing the list, thank you Eljay

Still trying to decide if I should gamble on getting that resin mask or just go for building my own. Seems as though the KhingK mask is popular enough already though

6 Likes

You can’t just not support the contest anymore because you didn’t like the winner. That is far and away the worst reason I have ever heard for wanting to stop the contests.

If you didn’t like the controversy that was generated, that is fair, but I think you need to give it a few more contests to see what happens.

But I interpreted your comment to mean that you supported the contests, but now want to stop them because you didn’t like the winner for Helryx. Am I correct?

2 Likes

But I interpreted your comment to mean that you supported the contests, but now want to stop them because you didn’t like the winner for Helryx. Am I correct?

I voted against the contests originally.

“Giving it a few more contests to see how it goes” would be fine if the results of those contests weren’t permanent.

1 Like

Fair enough then.