BIONICLE Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker

Went and double checked the list, and I’m all good! It’s Galva’s Mask of Clairvoyance. Oooooh, I’m so excited to get building!!

1 Like

Good luck to everyone! May the best entries be sent to “Artakha”.

3 Likes

While we’re talking colours, I’ve always imagined Artakha’s armour to be green due to being copper that has tarnished over time.

Possible colour scheme?

I would suggest the Mask of Creation originally matched Artakha’s armour so is also copper, making use of a rare but canon mask colour.

You could even imagine that the tradition of Copper Masks of Victory being awarded for sporting achievement in Metru Nui comes from the legend of Artakha winning the first copper mask in his contest against Karzahni.

15 Likes

That’s pretty neat and I like your reasoning. If the armor went from copper to gray-green, then so should the mask. The Vahi and Ignika changed colors, so there’s precedence in legendary masks not always being a certain metallic color.

I imagine Artakha’s color palette coinciding with Prime Minister Almec’s armor during the final season of TCW, while his armor uses smooth sand green parts to represent something similar to the Didact. I imagined him with gunmetal but I’ll admit I’m biased towards that metallic shade.

EDIT: I wonder if the artwork will resemble the Hellboy drawing.

7 Likes

Yeah, there’s a big blue/white plus button down at the bottom right corner, if you’re on the main screen. Just make sure you choose the category Lego Creations, and then name it correctly to correspond to the contest.

3 Likes

I actually studied the hellboy art style in preparation for the art contest. It’s nice to see someone else had the same idea

1 Like

Why is the entry period so short?
Helryx had an entry period of three weeks while Artakha only has two.

I get you want to move forward with these contests without any extra delay but three weeks for a canister-sized build vs. two weeks for a titan-sized build seems kinda backwards. Now that the rules are available some people may want to get some extra parts from Bricklink or Ebay. They had plenty of time for Helryx but now some of us builders may really have to rush their build in comparison

4 Likes

We want two weeks to be the standard, not the exception. The issue current arose when we ran a poll to decide the next contest, at the behest of individuals that wanted that to happen every contest, and Artakha was next… when he was always planned to be. That caused people to be uncertain and have less time to prepare.

We will not have three week entry periods again, however the entry list we have posted on the main discussion topic is the final order of the contests. So after this will be the Hagah contest.

3 Likes

What if we did something where you announced the next contest before it actually started, but wouldn’t be accepting entries until the contest itself had begun?
That way, people can prepare their parts and bricklink them if necessary, before beginning to build.
In my experience, bricklinks usually take around a week or so to arrive, and then with school starting up, that’s an additional constraint on time.

5 Likes

While I don’t mind the two week rule for future contests, I think people should be given a little more time to enter titans. Titans are a different building process and should be treated differently than toa-sized mocs.

2 Likes

While you are right that future contests will be different due to there being time ahead, there is a couple issues there;

1. It doesn’t help the case of this contest;
  2. Since the specific rules for the characters are only published 2 weeks before the entry period ends, it is difficult to truly prepare. For example, the one shade of green rule for this contest is not something anyone could have reasonably predicted (regardless of if it makes sense or not.)
3 Likes

I don’t know if I really like the idea of Artakha’s armour changing colours, since I feel like, as a creator, he would keep his armour in pristine condition.

But I love the idea that his victory for the Mask of Creation led to Copper Masks being handed out as prizes.

Green Artakha with a copper/gold mask would look pretty cool.

5 Likes

Why not start the next MOC contest as soon as the current one ends. For example, if the Hagah are in-fact the next entrants, post their ruleset prior to official entry period. Start their entry period as soon as voting is completed for the Artkakha MOC contest as it transitions to the art portion. Would give people the ruleset in advanced (especially since the order is now fixed with no further polls) and cuts down on the overall time these contests take to complete (another concern I have seen frequently).

-Solaris Magnus

2 Likes

To add on to this, I think you wouldn’t accept any Hagah entries until the Artakha Art contest is finished.

But I agree with releasing the rules early.

1 Like

Absolutely.

Gotta disagree with you on the second point. Not requiring only one shade would run the risk of turning a green moc with another shade of green as highlights into a big blob. Zaktan and Ehlek wouldn’t look as good if their greens were changed to a singular shade, no? Maybe they had a different reason but I figure this is probably why they did it, especially since there are Artakha mocs with similar color palettes.

While this isn’t necessarily a bad idea, TTV has expressed their need to have a break and I highly doubt this will change anytime soon.

4 Likes

Understandable, makes sense. In that case, I’d just recommend working on rulesets ahead of time, and posting them for upcoming contests in advanced of the entry period. Will let people decide if they want to join that contest, plan out a build, order pieces etc. There is no rule against entrants being constructed before the entry period, so it seems like a reasonable adjustment.

-Solaris Magnus

1 Like

We obviously have no issues working with people about the rule sets, which would actually be a pretty good way to spend the 3 week break. We obviously couldn’t this time because it was unknown which character would be next, and then we’d need to start once voting ended.

The poll really screwed a lot of things up. Meso and I will discuss a small extension, but people should not count on it. There are a lot of folks wasting time building by asking for more time. But we’ll see what we can do.

5 Likes

Bit off-topic, but I never knew that. Is this the same artist? If not… wow.

7 Likes

No it’s not the same artist afaik haha.

2 Likes

Dang never knew I’d see a traced image in bionicle… even the mask and spikes on it resemble the drawing

1 Like