BIONICLE Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker

Thanks, I appreciate the clarification.

2 Likes

The artists don’t need that much help to interpret a color if that is the actual reason behind the rule limitation of just one shade of green. I still find it an unjustified concern…

1 Like

I think the one shade rule is reasonable. They probably added it because they didn’t want to risk turning a dark/mata green entry with sand green into a big blob, which is what would happen with Zaktan if you had to replace his dark green parts with sand green.

2 Likes

I’m not in charge of rule decisions but I also have to question where someone’s head is at if they want to have 3+ shades of green on their moc. I understand that there is gonna be a recolouring happening in the art portion, but let’s face it - if your color balance is that far off, you aren’t making it to the final bracket anyways. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

If the set designer knew about the limitation, then I pretty sure they will make a different ratio and use of the colors. The suggestion of a percentage of green avoids that problem.

Ah, I get it. That makes so much more sense. Thanks for that clarification :+1:
I sure hope everyone sees that change though :thinking:

Absolutely yes. I believe its a disqualification to use a mask that isn’t on that list

Yeah, basic color theory applies here. There’s a difference between only allowing one shade of green vs two shades of green vs every green lego has released – all the greens!.

So as long as you don’t go overboard and distribute your colors properly, it should be fine.

2 Likes

That’s more of a TTV thing, the crew have practically reached the consensus that the uniters and Pohatu 2016 are awfull, but that’s not the perception everywhere. Two shades of green sounds fair to me and TTV actually allow it… if and only if one of those is sand green ¬¬.
There is also a big difference between “let the fans choose” and a disqualification for breaking the rule.

Right now is a must in the rules, so is not fine because more than one green isn´t allowed, that’s the issue.

2 Likes

It’s a very basic design thing, not a “TTV thing.”

And most of TTV like Pohatu 2016. Ketar is abysmal, though.

4 Likes

Oh, I knew I remembered it wrong, I mean Ketar not Pohatu…
Like some users said before me, the use of multiple shades of the same color would propably be a bad thing, that’s true but that’s not the point, I would like to focus the discussion on just two, the thing that others and I have already expressed we were doing or planned to do prior to the disclosure of the rules. I think it can work (a fair amount of sets and Mocs prove it) and is something an artist can easily understand. I say it as a designer, MOCist and artist.
Anyway, I just wanted to express my thoughts.

I hope the MOCs have fingers. As a highly skilled creator, he need them to make everything he did

5 Likes

Perhaps as a compromise multiple shades of green can be allowed, so as long the dominant color or whatever shade the mocist specifies is interpreted as sand-green?

For example, Gali is normally just described as being blue, not “blue and light-blue”. Or Lewa “green and lime”. Doesn’t mean their secondary shades aren’t canon. The same could be applied to Artakha. But again, color theory should be taken in account here or else you’ll have a puke colored mess.

6 Likes

Imma be honest, the topic was calmer than I imagined

Really wanted to have ordered KhingK’s MoC before this began but due to the list being compromised I gave up on those plans. Welp, I’ll have to make due.

Yes, I’m actually planning to enter. No, I will not win. :gregf:

1 Like

What do you mean ‘the list was compromised’?

What list?

1 Like

The list Eljay and Meso presented initially, which was more or less the exact order in which the contests would be occurring. Artakha was originally supposed to come after Helryx.

Gotcha.

You were hoping Artakha would be delayed?

I was hoping Artakha would occur as planned and that I would have the confidence in knowing it was occurring so I could prepare. When the list was questioned and eventually changed to a vote, that order confidence was gone and I abandoned my plans.

But enough off-topic conversation. I intend to build my own Mask of Creation rather than wait a potentially very long amount of time for KhingK’s variant to arrive in slick resin. I just hope I have the know-how to make a decent moc to go along with it.

3+ shades of any color can be done well quite easily

4 Likes

Official Greg Quotes | Page 1
Q: Is the Mask of Creation gold like the other two Legendary Kanohi?
A: Not that I am aware of, no

Dropping this here for when it will eventually become relevant;
The Mask of Creation is not necessairly gold just because it’s a legendary mask.

12 Likes

Hey, I have some struggle with one shade of green rule. Actually, if people who’re going to draw it for final art contest will replace it with the sand green, why not to use any kind of green as a replacement for sand-green?
Same with 60% of green.
I don’t get why not to let people design Artahka with more or less green and grey elements and then make art contest participants to use sand-green instead of those colours?