BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2 (Art) + Part 1 Winners

I mean yeah, everyone does art differently. But “so many artists are capable of accomplishing masterpieces of art in mere hours” is an unrealistically high expectation and it’s pretty unfair honestly. Rome wasn’t built in a day. And the minimum for this contest is so much higher than previously. I think the fact we only have 5 days left with 6 entries speaks to that.

But yeah, hopefully there’ll be some stellar last minute entries. I’ll gladly have my entry swamped by some of the amazingly talented artists this community has. :laughing:

17 Likes

Bob Ross making a landscape painting within the timeframe of a television program is very different to drawing six humanoids with lots of small, fiddly details that are essential to their visual identity, as well as possibly coming up with your own mask shapes for them. Having a wide berth is not only reasonable, but nigh-on essential if you want anything that isn’t rushed for this contest. Artakha and Helryx were one character, not six.

16 Likes

The amount of details depends of the artstyle. We have a month to create the design wich is a good amount of time. If one don’t have the time to create a new mask shape, better not to do it, in this case, any existing mask will work fine. Sure, many people are busy and can’t dedicate the time requiered to work on it, but by that logic we could extend the deadline indefinitely so everyone have time to create something.
But if we end up with few entries (lets say less than 20), the best would be extend the deadline.

5 Likes

For someone who has experience with volunteer work, you should probably be aware of how much time it takes someone to draw something without gettng paid for it.
Either you take a good moment to self reflect or i expect a drawing of all 6 hagah within the next 5 hours.

11 Likes

tbh this is a bad take

6 Likes

It actually would, based on what TTV said before when I asked them about spearheads. The verdict is that pretty much any polearm counts for the purpose of the contest, since Norik and Iruini’s weapons aren’t very spear-like to begin with. Hell, the same piece used for Norik’s weapon has also been called an axe when used for Gali, so really, anything can and should go.

1 Like

Honestly it’s not too late to at least make an attempt at this point, better late than never I guess…

But yeah that being said, I hope we get some last minute entries submitted to help out with the potential variety to vote on.

I actually suspect that it won’t be allowed.

True, but does a flail count? Even if a flail is is polearm I can’t imagine it being used in the same way as Norik/Iruini’s weapons.

I’d argue that they’re both quite similar to a spear, but I digress

3 Likes

Yeah. Its fantasy, and there’s leniency, but there’s also a pretty obvious gradient over what would and would be allowed. A mace or flail … wouldn’t, I’d say.

4 Likes

And a spear is just a knife with a long handle. Both Norik and Iruini have a pointed head. Saying a mace or a flail could be considered as a spear is really far-fetched.
A spear is for stabing and cutting, a mace is for smashing and poking.

2 Likes

Bit of an improper comparison there, but I’ve seen feats accomplished with time frames of less than a day from some artists, and the excellent ones on the site are not beyond such a feat.

Plus, it’s been a month. I think it’s fair to say that for most, if they didn’t do it by now, they probably won’t do it if an extra week is added.

This.

For someone who has experience with volunteer work, I am aware of the amount of time it can take for someone to draw something without getting paid for it. It can take long or it can take a very short time.

And that’s true for the MOCing side of the contest as well - some people have made exceptional entries in a very short time while for others it took the entire entry period to construct their entry. Because some people are quick and some people not so much is ultimately irrelevant; One Month is a lot of time. It’s silly to ask for more without a large number of people who aren’t done needing that extra bit, but so far there’s a very small amount here on the boards who fit that description.

oh, and no, I’m not drawing a hagah entry simply because you want it. I’ve got my eye set on a potential winner already; why would I take votes away from them?

Plus isn’t like

a ball

The opposite of a refined point?

3 Likes

We all know what you really have your heart set on…

b̶l̶u̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶u̶k̶s̶

Did you mean to quote Winger

2 Likes

I’m still working on mine, it’ll just make me not have to rush if I can get more time

2 Likes

Wait, Winger’s a hater of the blue pouks group? You know, it would be cool if somebody started that, almost like the blue man group in a way…

Heh, ehh either way it’s just a silly joke (or IS it?) but either way who knows…

Edit: Wow I severely forgot. Winger’s no hater, they’re #TeamBlouks all the way! (unless there’s ironic sarcasm being implied)

1 Like

I don’t actually like Blouks. Making the armor blue removes contrast from the design and blends the eyes too far with the body.

1 Like

I like the idea of blouks but I wouldn’t want it to be canon.

1 Like

Norik’s is not pointed by any stretch of the imagination. Again, the part was designed to be an AXE. And Iruini’s weapon has more in common with a glaive than a proper spear. Meso’s already given his verdict: any polearm will do as long as it’s built similarly to Norik and Iruini’s “spears.” I specifically asked him, and he said this:

We make no restrictions on spear-tip usage. Plenty of things in BIONICLE have gone by names other than what they actually are. Norik’s spear tip, for instance, is an aqua- axe. As such, I say go open season with that.

For some reason, it’s not letting me quote the post itself, so here’s a link to his post. I invite you to see the context, since I give some examples Meso signed off on.

Flails usually aren’t polearms, but you could make one that is. I think including the chain would stretch it, but a mace would work fine.

3 Likes

There are six entries, I don’t think the people asking for more time are unreasonable here. Nobody’s asking for an infinite entry period so get that slippery slope nonsense outta here, and I know people who want to enter and have half-done entries, but haven’t had the time because of school or work or whatever to get a demanding piece finished.

15 Likes

Then here’s a better one. Perp and Crunch worked together on their art entry in the first part of the contest. They still didn’t finish it. We got one fantastic group shot, but the individual shots were more conceptual than finalized.

Yes, I agree that both the quality and quantity of art entries for the Hagah are less than the previous two contests, but to put no fault on the fact people are only given a month to draw six characters (Helryx and Artakha were open two weeks, so it’s double the time, but still six times the work) is absolutely absurd.

15 Likes