BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2 (Art) + Part 1 Winners

what have I done

28 Likes

Is anyone else pro-extending_the-deadline?

7 Likes

I personally am not. While 5 days a bit of stretch to be able to produce good looking digital art, at least in my eyes, an entire month is enough, for a contest of this scale. I doubt there are any last minute entires that were started in the last few days.

All this to say, I think most of those that intend to enter have already done so or will do so in the next 4 days (or 3, depending on timezones). I don’t think extending the deadline would meaningfully increase the number of entries the way people seem to think it would.

4 Likes

OK but look at this, the amount of time to draw one character may be too short to draw six of them, especially when they’re mecha. A week at least is enough

I’m pro extension, at least by one day, because jesus christ why the hell are you ending it on the 20th anniversary of 9/11

10 Likes

It depends. If there’s enough claims from the entrants by the end of submission, I’d fall instead to BZP’s occasional allowance of 1-2 days extension for polish.

1 Like

If everyone is really worried about the number of entrants, a possible way to approach future contests, only as a suggestion, would be setting a deadline of BOTH a specific date and minimum number of entrants (maybe 20), with the entries closing once both criteria are met. If nothing else, that would reduce the anxiety of the community over there not being enough choices in the final poll.

1 Like

I would extend the deadline only if we knew for sure that more entrants would enter. But extending just to see if someone else maybe enter it’s kinda dumb.

One option that ocurre to me is that all participant have to submit their work (as they have it, finishe or not finished) before the original deadline, and then we could have an extention period just for polishing their work. But that extention should be some days, a week at most. Honestly I wish we finish with the Hagah and move on.

4 Likes

The issue that I see with this is that it still rushes the artists. If there aren’t enough entries at the deadline, you’ll still have artists rushing to take one of those minimum spots, rather than just rushing to meet a deadline; you shouldn’t have to compete with someone else just to get into the contest.

I think @Huemus 's solution is the best one I’ve seen so far: we should wait until the deadline passes to see if we even have a problem in the first place before we try to implement a solution.

5 Likes

I’m all for an extension. Compared to any other contest, there’s been what, less than a tenth of the entries?

Ironically, this time around I want to see more artwork in the same colours as the mocs…

2 Likes

Seeing how far Specter L’s is at this point, I really think there should be an extension.

1 Like

On the topic of pushing back the deadline, I was just about to ask @Eljay if he could personally extend the deadline for me by, I’m thinking maybe a week, since I’m sitting on a nearly finished Toa Hagah illustration I’ve been hard at work on the past few weeks (just need to color Pouks) and as a Louisiana native, I’ve unfortunately had to deal with Hurricane Ida recently.

Now, I was able to work on the aforementioned illustration without internet no problem even during the hurricane itself when I lost power and had to end up staying at a relative’s house until my power came back on a few days ago.

My problem right now is that I’m stressing out over the fact, as it currently stands, that I might very well miss the current deadline through no fault of my own since my internet is back, but its spotty at best meaning I can’t upload images without it timing out on me anytime I try to upload one.

13 Likes

Let’s try something.

• I plan on entering the art portion, and am confident I can meet the deadline.
  • I plan on entering the art portion, but I’m NOT confident I can meet the deadline.
  • I’ve already entered the art portion.
  • I’m not planning on entering the art portion.

0 voters

We’ll see if this tells us anything.

4 Likes

Thats not any official poll in any capacity so I would take its results lightly

3 Likes

Agreed, I just want a general idea of how many can’t finish.

3 Likes

I believe I can finish, but I’d be cutting it close.

1 Like

It would be better if you kept the polls down to only people who have been working on an entry but haven’t submitted. They just need to know the potential number of entries.

As it is now, it makes an impression that not many people want to enter at all.

7 Likes

For clarification’s sake, do I need to draw the masks individually if I haven’t changed them from the ones present on the winning models?

No. But if you want to be sure, you could post the links of the 3d models of the mask.

If they are masks that don’t currently exist in Bionicle, yes.

You either need to draw the new mask in its own image, or provide a 3d model is possible.