BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2 (Art) + Part 1 Winners

Yep, it’s constraction Rey’s cloth thing.

I was flagging it so that one of the moderators could fix it. “Spam” listed double posting as an example, so I went with that.

8 Likes

Ah apologies. Didn’t know that was the usual procedure.

Don’t forget about shipping cost and the fact that most sellers indeed only have one or two torso’s.

Congratulations to all the worthy winners.

I’m largely satsified with these. I would’ve preferred some of the alternate options for a fair few of them, but I’m not gonna lose sleep over it, the Hagah aren’t a big enough deal for me to get worked up over.

Pouks is probably my favourite. Big “I could’ve got this out of a can during Bionicle’s run” energy, which is exactly what I wanted out of this contest. And hey, he’s got chunkier thighs than his comrades, so looks like Thunder Thighs Pouks claimed a moral victory in the end!

My only regret is that we didn’t get the Mask of Office Supplies canonised. Then again, Doni and Galva do want to have Gaaki’s mask replaced. You know what to do, artists.

3 Likes

What was the mask of office supplies again? I forgot

1 Like

It’s Makooti, the Bionic Man!

7 Likes

That would honestly work, what with the whole “I almost know what’s going on, but not quite” vibe from the commercial.

The Makooti mask. It’s from this:

6 Likes

Congratulations to all the winners. While sadly none of the entries I voted for first won, I do wanted to say that I have seen a lot of inspiring builds. Not only in terms of new techniques (Bomonga), but also in terms of mask choices, spear tips, armor and color schemes. So regardless I think this contest is already a success!

1 Like

Finally!! congrats to all the finalists and winners, really outstanding work. I am super excited about this next part, but I´m not gonna lie, drawing six characters, all of whom have spears and massive shields, it´s gonna be very tough. I´ve had my concept ready to go for a few weeks now and I can´t wait to finish this thing. Good luck to everyone, play well.

4 Likes

he can’t keep getting away with it

4 Likes

It took me about an hour and a half but I made an edit to see how my Noble kadin would look on @doni 's Gaaki. I think it looks good.

13 Likes

This is a solid batch of winners. I especially like the Bomonga and Kualus designs. Can’t wait to see the art entries! As for me, guess I’ll be stocking up on Whenua torsos!

3 Likes

…[looks away guilty] “ahem”. I can’t even remember how many of those I’ve bought. Mostly Metru Red ones but still.

Very into all of these designs. Congrats to the winners! I can’t wait to see the final artwork and then get all the pieces to build these.

General clarification check: I went through the BS01 entries for the Toa Hagah and masks and am a little confused. From what I understand, all the Toa Hagah have a mask that was carved to honor a past hero according to a chat with Greg (not they could have that, they do). Therefore, whatever masks we end up with will be the non-traditional versions of the mask (see Norik’s Kiril/Pehkui) and the traditional canon appearance will still be unknown. Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes, that’s correct.

Yes. Greg has confirmed that they all follow Norik’s example. Iruini is the only exception.

Just for fun, I’ve recreated the winning models in stud.io so we can get an idea of how they all look next to each other. Stud.io’s missing a few parts, but they’re all pretty close:

I also rerendered it with gunmetal Kualus, since that seems to be a popular solution for balancing the colours:

12 Likes

Depends on what you mean by nontraditional.

Yknow, bomonga with metallic green armor would be pretty cool

7 Likes

Greener Version

Then, because stud.io’s rendered metallic green doesn’t look great:

5 Likes