BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard

Wait, can you not save your file? Are any of the buttons working?

I din’t realize it would let me save when trying to close out, so yes, I did get to save. I was thinking it’d be like AutoCAD that always seems to lose work when it freezes on me.

Though for some reason, the head, eyestalk, and torso were flipped around to whatever orientation they start with when you drag them into the viewport. Not sure why, since I’ve saved and opened the file before without issue. Now my torso piece is invisible, even after I lined it up, so I have to see if something else is flipped that I missed.

1 Like

shudders

3 Likes

So I go on hiatus for less than a week and this happens.

Seriously considering entering - I’ve already got some draft sketches lying around, I’d just have to do the digital polish (yes, I’m doing art.)

Bit confused about the wording with the spear tip - I know some people have also expressed that in this topic. My most extreme spear would be one that (infers) usage of the Hahli Mahri Protosteel Talon as a spear tip - would that be too long/multi-pronged? It’s still ultimately just a single piece on the end of the spear (and would probably be shruken slightly in the artwork compared to a physical build.)

EDIT: Also wondering - if I use a mask that already exists in canon, do I still need to the the front-side-top view sketches for it?

7 Likes

If I submit an art piece, do I put in a breakdown photos?

That might be a problem with the model itself I have problems like that on many other pieces as well

It’s not to multi-pronged

Blade on top and bottom of the staff=Multi-pronged=disallowed

Multiple blades on upper prong=/=multipronged=allowed

If you had a custom mask, I’d guess so. If you based your art off of a MOC you’d built, it would be nice to see how you built the MOC, but that’s likely not required by the rules.

That’s not quite right. A prong is a point. So a trident has 3 prongs. The Rahkshi staffs have something on both ends of the staff, making them “dual tipped” (two separate tips/ends).

Multi-pronged is allowed. Iruini’s spear has 2 prongs. But a spear on both ends of the stick are not.

So Hahli’s talon would work by definition, though I would say it may be a bit too long to be considered a spear tip. Once it gets too long, the weapon stops being a spear and more of a Naginata.

Just like we are using Iruini as the cap on height, I’d say Norik’s spear (Gali Nuva’s axe) is a good reference point for spear length. Not saying they need to be exactly capped at that length, but use that as reference for the upper end of the tip length. I haven’t compared Hahli’s talon to the axe piece, so I don’t know how close it is, but if it’s a fair bit longer, I’d probably say to avoid it (but someone like Eljay would be the one to clarify if my view on it is what they will use here).

4 Likes

Oh got tipped and pronged confused sorry

1 Like

I didn’t build a moc more so I studied the metru build and made an estimate on which pieces would fit . I did reference unique building techniques so maybe I draw that too or give credit to the person to made the said technique.

1 Like

You link the topic in the Honor Guard entry list.

1 Like

Believe it or not, I’d actually like something more original and interesting, such as what was done with Helryx or Artahka

I can understand why the contest is being ran the way it is, but tbh the rules stopped me from entering. I don’t have metru pieces, nor am I going to go out of my way to buy any. And even if I did, I don’t want my entry to look like the same thing that twenty other people did.

1 Like

I see a lot of Hagah designs with minor modifications to the standard Hagah build, like lower torso coverage and articulated arms seen in the examples below:

My personal worry, coming from a position of ‘team consistency at all costs’, is that the winning designs probably won’t share the same mods, and that group-shot artists who opt for a set-accurate art style (like the Helryx art) may incorporate these inconsistencies because they feel they cannot remove them or make them uniform. This could lead to some jarring disparities. My first question would be this: would artists be banned if they outright removed the mods, or gave every Toa the same mod even if some of them didn’t have it originally?

With that said, if artists employ a less set-accurate art style, they may be able to ‘smooth out’ or even completely ignore the build mods. This may mean that less set-accurate art styles may be preferred, and perhaps that’s enough. From my observation of the Hagah teams entered so far, which often have even colour distributions (2/2/2 or 3/3 mostly); while some people might not mind inconsistencies across the team, they will prefer it if it’s offered to them. I will probably vote for such artworks if different mods end up getting through.
Based on this my second question is how much leniency would artists have if they didn’t use a set-accurate art style? This partially comes down to what the definition of a mod is, which I’ll get into further below.

My next question is a wider point: if the winning group artwork clearly preserves the build mods, and they are unequivocally inconsistent with one another, would we / you consider those mods canon? Could we effectively rebuild those Hagah as sets without the mods, without breaking canon? My argument for why they’re not necessarily canon would be the same argument as whether MU beings have hands - most sets don’t have proper hands, even though in canon, they do (I think?).
However, it also depends on the mod, and whether people interpret certain mods as ‘creative liberties’ (poseable arm mods fit pretty sensibly into this category), or as ‘necessary elements’. The latter category could include mods such as this:

Here, the shoulder coverage has been improved beyond what Norik had. Would you say this represents a different armour type to Norik’s, or the same?

Part of the reason I raised this subject is because my Hagah (including Norik and Iruini) are also partially modded, but I’m considering removing them for the reasons mentioned above.

I personally don’t consider these mods canonically-binding, partly because the MOCs aren’t canon, and partly because I envision that artists would / should consider them as simple ‘waist-fillers’. The problem is I don’t want artists to interpret them as anything other than that, and I don’t know whether the rules would allow me to say ‘if my MOC wins, consider this mod as canonically non-binding. You can remove or modify it if you choose’. I don’t imagine every artist will see such a footnote anyway.
Two questions come from the above: can I (or should I be able to) disclose such a thing in my entry in a way that would be facilitated by the rules? And do you, the voters, have any preference for MOCs that do / don’t include mods?

TLDR:

1. Should miscellaneous mods to the basic Hagah build (see above for examples) be allowed to be ignored by artists in the group art contest, particularly those going for a set-accurate art style?
  2. Would such mods be considered canon?
  3. (Assuming the answer to #1 is no) If someone said “Feel free to ignore / change my build mods when you draw the art”, would that hold any weight in allowing mods to be ignored / changed?
  4. What are your voting preferences for Hagah builds with / without mods?
2 Likes

I won’t vote for anything that strays to far from the Hagah skeleton. Armor and limbs can be changed but Waist fillers, custom limbs, glatorian hands and other detailing that can be considered grebbling is a big no for me.

8 Likes

We already know #2 isn’t canon because the MOCs are explicitly non canon.

2 Likes

imo:

1. yeah, for sure.
  2. limbo canon imo, like how set Norik has a black torso but the comics sometimes depict him with a red one instead. We’re all free to choose the option we prefer.
  3. n/a
  4. as it is now, I’d generally prefer entries that stick as close to norik & iruini as possible in that regard, but if my idea below is implemented then i’d just go with whatever looks the best.

It can be hard from a builder’s perspective to have to decide between doing what objectively looks better (not all of the example mods here do look better mind you, but some of the more popular/basic kinds do) and fitting in with Norik & Iruini down to the letter. I think a lot of that could be alleviated if it was understood that the final group shot could/would remove or gloss over those mods to make the team look uniform, or heck, maybe even add them across the whole team (Norik & Iruini included) so that from a canon perspective, the folks at home can choose which ever option they’d prefer to go with when replicating the winners, as with my answer to #2.

I know for my own hagah entries (which I haven’t entered yet) I’ve been strongly considering entering them using the same shoulder design as norik & iruini, and no extra crotch/waist add-ons, but then including mods like articulated shoulders and a more filled-out waist on my own “personal” versions at home after entering, like I already do with Norik & Iruini.

I guess basically what I’m advocating for here is that the group shot be encouraged, or perhaps even required, to make the whole team of 6 look uniform in that regard, whether that’s removing mods from the 4 newcomers or adding them to norik & iruini, so long as they all match in the end. That way if someone likes the mods then they can keep them on the newcomers and even add them to the originals, and if they don’t like the mods they can remove them across the board.

4 Likes

Yeah I think this says it well. Artists can decide to either draw them with no mods or up Iruini and Norik’s detail to match the rest. Personally I’m going to just going to try to keep it vague with shadows in that area.

2 Likes

When it says they can’t be taller than Iruini, what is this measuring from?

• Is it their head without a mask, since some masks can stick up taller?

• Does the comparison need to have them standing completely stock-straight? Some leg pieces may be a few millimeters taller/shorter than others, so that would be the only way to properly compare them, since casual poses can skew it.

• Is any length above Iruini not allowed? I’ve just started using Stud.io the other day, so I’m not sure if I can turn on some kind of ruler tool if this needs to be an exact height cap.

Suggestion: once the polls are up, we should put a tag on entries with consent to change so that way something like a mask or armor color doesn’t lower it’s chances of winning.

That’s the way I’ve seen people measure them

Most, if not all, leg pieces are certain stud units of height. For example, Iruini’s leg is 8 studs.

@Eljay Suggestion for first post: exact height measurements of Iruini and Whenua.

Iruini is 26 studs tall to top of head
Whenua is 22 studs tall to top of head

4 Likes