BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Quick fact-check: Iruini’s mask is confirmed to be the correct shape of the Kualsi.

But your main point is right: These contests will not determine the standard shape of the Hagah’s mask powers, and may, in fact, even introduce new standard Kanohi shapes with unknown powers.

Not what I argued, the shape really doesn’t matter at all, as mentioned earlier the pehkui has the kiril shaped mask as its image on bs01. Same will go for all the other hagahs mask they will depict the mask they are wearing but they don’t have to be the original shape of the mask still it will be a canon depiction of the mask they wear.

Again this debate is pointless any mask will do as the mask for the hagah just go nuts.

1 Like

I think we’re saying the same thing, I just phrased it poorly: the contest will canonize the shape of the exact Kanohi that the Toa Hagah wear, but not the standard shape of their respective mask powers.

Exactly.

1 Like

Hello. I just wanted to make sure that the runes on the mask on the winning moc for the Artakha contest didn’t mean anything. Do they refer to some alphabet that I don’t know of? Any hidden meaning, or are they just symbols and decoration?

Khingk’s mask? As I understand it they’re based on Okoto glyphs of G2, and they do have meanings, but it’s just creation-type words and his name. Words like Shape, Pattern, Power, Wisdom, Genesis and Craft.

2 Likes

The symbols do indeed have meaning.

The cypher for the symbols can be found here:

1 Like

Sadly we may never get Marendar’s appearance since people don’t want his contest to happen (which sounds pretty stupid imo. Seriously though your giving an unimportant character such as the GSB a contest but not Marendar) Hopefully enough people vote for the contest to happen when it comes.

2 Likes

Some people (including myself) aren’t looking forward to the Marendar contest because of the near infinite different ways it can go. We have absoluteley no idea what Marendar looks like, unlike the golden skinned being. I think it will be difficult to decide on a canon appearance for a character who we know almost nothing about.

2 Likes

I think its good because it gives mocists more creative freedom. Most of these contests have strict guidelines to follow when building. For Marendar all people need to do is make a robot toa hunter. That can go anyway. I personally took a “hunchback terminator” route and have already finished my entry. Now I do hope there is a “no modern firearms” rule so people don’t slap 12 miniguns on him and call it quits (first it wouldn’t fit in the G1 aesthetic secondly there are more creative things then miniguns people can use) Even if people don’t like it that’s no reason to just not do it because then its unfair to the people who are excited for it and want to participate in it.

6 Likes

I’m all for giving Moccists freedom, but the Marendar might give them too much. In all of the other contests, I didn’t just vote for the MOCs that looked the best. I voted for the MOCs that looked good, but also fit the canon description. However, Marendar doesn’t have a canon description! Marendar could be a big floating green sphere with cannons coming out of it! Marendar could be a microscopic purple worm! :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe I’m biased, because I have little interest in learning what Marendar looks like, but if TTV were to do a more vague/open ended contest, I’d rather see a Makuta Kojol contest.

Also, there is a rule forbidding modern realistic firearms from these canon contests, so you need not worry about that.

I agree with that. I’m not super excited for the Marendar contest, but if people want to do it, I have no problem with that.

That said, I’m not sure if this is the right topic for this discussion.

3 Likes

To be fair, I have also seen some less-than-enthusiastic responses to the Golden Skinned Being Contest.

I don’t have an issue with either one of them getting canonized, as I am always happy to see the original canon expanded upon. You could tell me we’re getting a Canon Contest for Random Background Matoran #3, and I’d be happy.

But I do find it odd that those two were given contests over top of other more established characters. The common go-to example seems to be Kojol, but we could also have a Naho contest. There is also potential for previous incarnations of characters to be canonized, such as Toa Dume, or the unmutated Barraki, or the base forms of the 2008 Makuta.

But, at the end of the day, as long as we’re getting new character appearances, I’m happy.

4 Likes

Some other ideas are: Kabrua, Johmak, and the Crystal Serpents.

4 Likes

Johmak is definitely a good one. I could also see the Crystal Serpents getting a contest.

But Kabrua? Isn’t he just a normal Vorox? Is there even anything there to get a contest out of? Though I suppose we could get some sweet art. Again, any new canon visuals, and I’m in.

If we really wanted some Spherus Magna stuff, maybe the Sisters of the Skrall?

A few more obvious choices are Tren Krom, Annona, and the Great Beings, though I believe Greg said he wanted those characters to remain in obscurity; Tren Krom and Annona because so much of their storyline presence depends on their appearance being totally unnatural, in a way that no artwork could capture; and the Great Beings because they were always meant to be enigmatic characters working from the shadows.

2 Likes

As one of the biggest opponents to Marendar’s contest, my viewpoint has changed somewhat since I started my Story Serial Continuations; I’d kind of like to have a visual description for Marendar, instead of having to create this character from scratch. I imagine many fanfiction writers might agree.

2 Likes

Kabrua is taller and stronger than the other Voroxes. He also had a “sophisticated blaster” and a tool that could block toa powers.

Admittedly, he isn’t that unique, but I still think it would be cool.

Plus, Kabrua is probably the only character who I could actually build with the pieces that I have, so that’s another reason why I want him :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Honestly though I would love a contest for Gar, Kyrehx and Mavrah.

These characters are all explicitly light on armour. Not really suited for a moc contest. I could definitely see a Skrall sister art contest but TK and Annona are best left in the ‘unknowable Eldridge horror’ category.

3 Likes

Same goes for the Golden Skinned Being. He is described as being more muscly than mechanical.

Exactly.

1 Like

Marendar couldn’t actually be either of these. One of the few things we know about him is that he’s humanoid.

4 Likes

And that it is ‘somewhat bigger’ than a Toa or Glatorian.

Additional side notes: It is easy to think of Marendar as a mindless killing machine, but that would be incorrect. Marendar is confirmed to be sapient.

Also, it is confirmed to be biomechanical in nature, just like the Toa, Matoran, and most of anyone else in the Matoran Universe.

So, less ‘mindless death robot’ and more ‘hopped up Dark Hunter’.

Finally, this isn’t canon, but it is something to consider:

“Greg Farshtey imagined Marendar eliminating the Toa similarly to how the Sentinels eliminate Mutants in Marvel’s X-Men comics. Marendar would adapt to and resist the Toa’s elements before killing them with specialized weaponry.”

3 Likes

Now that’s got me wondering how that opening scene in DoFP could be reimagined in the Bionicle universe…

2 Likes