G1 Mask of Creation (3D Model)

Update: Adding additional 3D renders and Artwork
His mask was the most ornate anyone had ever seen – more than just a Kanohi, it was a true work of art. The metallic protodermis from which it was forged was arranged in intricate patterns and designs, each reflecting one of the many cultures that flourished in the universe. The eye slits were angular and pointed, giving him an air of both wisdom and a vague sense of menace.” - Reign of Shadows

Here is my take on the Mask of Creation worn by the Titan Artakha in Bionicle G1.

This mask took ages to make. I wanted to make this mask feel kind of organic due to how old it is. Besides the symbols that were added to the mask, the entirety of the mask was modeled in 1 piece to make the mask flow.

I took several inspirations including from Hindu culture, Biblical culture, tree branches, and the G2 Mask of Creation. I also took inspiration from the only description of the mask in canon.
I really wanted to reflect the various cultures of Bionicle through the different shapes of the mask while making them flow together. The design of the mask did not have any concept art tied to it. All of the design was done in Blender (you can imagine how many versions I had to create for this).

The Mask had to have its own Alphabet to go alongside it. A lot of people have asked if this is the Okotan Alphabet, but it is actually its own alphabet. The Alphabet is similar to the Matoran Alphabet except it was made using a similar template to the Nuva symbols. I thought that was very fitting so I added several words along the surface of the mask itself. You can decipher them using this Alphabet chart.

I am very proud of this amazing mask and I hope you all will get a chance to have this mask in your collection. Free download and 3D prints can be found in the links below.

Thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4247696

Shapeways: https://www.shapeways.com/product/YMZAR7FNU/the-legendary-mask-of-creation

Additional Images:

Story-Tied Images:

A closeup of Artakha and his Mask of Creation as he leaves the portal in Reign of Shadows

The Mask of Creation, the first Kanohi in existence, being forged by the Great Beings. The Great Beings infused their knowledge and wisdom in creation into the mask. Whoever wears the mask will be granted abilities that reflect the Great Beings.

360 Rotation of the Mask:
maskofcreation3

42 Likes

Of course it is going to be up to the art contest to decide, but based on the many MOCs I’ve seen this mask has the best chance of many others to keep its design through the artsy interpretation phase. I would enjoy it if this became the canon depiction.

6 Likes

I used your mask for my contest MOC, had been looking at for a while. Gotta say, fantastic piece and excellent design. I hope it ends up the official one regardless of contest winner!

-Solaris Magnus

7 Likes

Wait, this mask was designed by KhingK, or was it? It already exists in studio so why presenting it now?

1 Like

Agreed, I gotta be honest, this is one of the best community designed masks I’ve seen and I hope that this or something very similar ends up in the winning entry during the art contest.

4 Likes

I am KhingK. I haven’t been able to present this mask on the messageboards until now.

3 Likes

Oh, sorry for misunderstanding. Well, the mask is veeery cool. I will soon enter the contest using it as well. Runes are great, not just classic bionicle letters. It looks wise and menacing, and it is pretty in any color. But it is said that " metallic protodermis from which it was forged was arranged in intricate patterns and designs, each reflecting one of the many cultures that flourished in the universe" and I don’t really see it… Yeah there is plenty of different details, the crown, the mouth, but they are almost in one style. I always imagined it as a mix of really different stuff, probably assimetrical. But, all in all, this one is super nice.

2 Likes

One of the original ideas I considered was that the Mask of Creation, due to the complexity of its design, had the ability to transform its shape similar to the Ignika which would fit that description. It is honestly difficult to really incorporate every single culture into a single mask without it looking odd. So, perhaps the mask itself is able to change design similar to how the island of Artakha is able to change in design and weather to fit the ruler’s mood.

There were alternate designs of the Mask of Creation that I had which would act like these transformations but I am not entirely sure if I will do a public release for them. But here is a screenshot of one of the alternate designs that I haven’t finished.

8 Likes

Oooh, very lovely work, Khing. Nice to see it side by side the other legendary masks.

It has such an imposing forward face that I almost thought it a different mask in the profile views.

2 Likes

I wasn’t fussed about a separate G1 version of the MoCr until I saw this design. For any other other mask it might seem a bit much, but for the Mask of Creation this just looks effortlessly… ‘right’. Regal and ornate.

While I’m here, I also love your:
Olisi
Movie Kiril
Turaga Lhikan Hau
Baterra Helmet

…done gushing now!

5 Likes

This is a beautiful mask.

I love seeing it in gold next to the other Legendary masks.

3 Likes

being a hindu myself, how did you do this? I’m interested to know.

Other than that, it looks very regal, worthy of being worn by someone like Artakha. Nice job!

2 Likes

The mask has a “third” eye similar to the Hindu culture tied with the third eye (I believe is called the ajna chakra). I thought it was fitting to add such an eye to the mask in relation to Artakha since the third eye chakra is supposed to allow a person to see both inner and outer worlds and motivate inspiration and creativity, similar to how the Mask of Creation is able to “see” how something is to be created. The Chakra is also tied with higher knowledge and wisdom. Even deeper into this, the chakra has a connection with the crown chakra (mask is shaped like a crown) and the third eye chakra is tied with light (Artakha happens to be the creator of the Avohkii and his realm is usually associated with light).

4 Likes

This is so great!
its silhouette is also like G2 and clean-uped Olisi, make me feel they’re brother.

3 Likes

I want to share this cool wallpaper I made for the mask alongside the other two legendary masks.

11 Likes

I feel like this still should be referenced for the Canon Artwork, any entry who uses this mask has my interest and perhaps vote.

2 Likes

legendariesspin2

More images to showcase this mask.

“It just works” -Todd Howard

11 Likes

When should this version come out

Hey if you actually have those hip three masks can I have some help getting two of them(already got ignika) on tinkercad?

Edited for Double Post- Prentice1215

1 Like

It’s already out on Shapeways and Thingiverse if that’s what you’re trying to ask. Just look up KhingK or The Legendary Mask of Creation on those sites.

2 Likes

There’s a free version on thingiverse as well. That’s why I’m asking. I’m trying to get it uploaded onto tinkercad but I’m having trouble.

1 Like