BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Yeah I had done something similar before, and this is pretty stable, as well, I just wanted to try something different. I like the pin with stop bushing for posing tho. Idk, I can find ways for the gear function still. I guess I was more curious about the gear function necessity for a qualification

1 Like

I think we’ve defined the crux of our disagreement. Because to me, the Metru torso is a general look, including the style of the parts.

But then, I’ll ask you this: is this a Metru build?

4 Likes

It’s even better.

But seriously, no, because the proportions aren’t there.

I edited my previous comment seconds before you posted this, but the gist of this is that you think a Metru build is partially defined by aesthetics, while I don’t. We already have enough controversy about G1 aesthetic in general, and I think anything to do with a Metru build should be covered by that. No need to add extra defintions specifically for a Metru build.

So yes, this means that a build, like your CCBS example, could be a Metru build without necessarily being a G1 build.

4 Likes

Of course. That’s the literal epitome of what all Metru builds should be.

I wouldn’t define a Metru builds by proportion. That puts every smaller MOC as a Metru Build.

2 Likes

Not just scale, proportions (and shaping, if you want to get super detailed). Inika builds (or other smaller-scale MOCs) are roughly the same scale as Metru builds, but their proportions are wildly different.

I never referred to scale…

For example would this be a Metru Build? It has pretty much the same proportions.

1 Like

Sure you did

What is this in reference to, if not scale? Because not every small build has Metru-build proportions.

As for that build:

The proportions are closer, but not quite. The torso is a little short, and the chest/shoulders are a little wide.

“Smaller” in reference to an Inika. I generally view Metru builds as smaller than Inika builds, even if they aren’t.

If the proportions of the MOC were identical to that of a Metru torso, would you consider it a Metru build?

1 Like

I think what the last six hours have done is proven that everyone has a distinct definition for “Metru Build” and therefore the requirements for the contest will have to be more specific than just “be a Metru build.”

Except I’m also pretty sure I solved that 5 hours ago.

Too specific? Well option 2 is

As far as this discussion goes as related to the contests, for now, that’s the final word. If any of you want to continue to debate what is or isn’t a Metru Build or an Inika Build I suggest you take it to PM or make another topic to do so.

13 Likes

Scale = how big something is in relation to another item.
Proportion = how big the thing is in relation to itself.

For example: the avtoran have the same proportions as brutaka, by they’re not the same scale.

Nocturn has the same scale as the bahrag, but the proportions are vastly different.

Just figured I’d clear that up.

1 Like

That all sounds good; there’s nothing there I disagree with. I’d honestly be fine with either option.

(As long as I get my pink Pouks)

3 Likes

Just throwing this out there, but I think it could be cool to see them divided into colors in pairs of two. Say something like two flat gold, two silver, and two something other, maybe gunmetal? That one could be cool

1 Like

That’s what I’ve done. Unfortunately, if the hagah are going to be done individually, there’s no way to get anything like this, unless it happens by pure chance.

1 Like

yes

just a bad one

7 Likes

imagine starting a MOCing contest, the kind that should encourage creativity and “showing off” as you said (always has) and then saying that creativity is not encouraged

2 Likes

Sure it’s encouraged.

Just not prioritized.

1 Like

There’s a difference between “encouraging” creativity and making it the primary end goal of every build.

2 Likes

You sure about that? There’s plenty of room for creativity that’s found (yea, fostered) within rulesets that one has to work within. Could it be that instead of creativity, the word(s) you’re looking for might be something closer to greebles, complexity, or the like?

2 Likes

No, because setting the rules so strict as they are severely limits the options of a MOCer, regardless of how creative they are. And beyond that - not everybody has a Metru torso.

1 Like

Indeed. :+1:
What is the priority of these contests is Canonical Appearances for Characters, and sometimes, these appearances are obvious, yea, sometimes not the most complex, but they are still good, because they meet the qualifications of being the appearances that make the most sense in the Story-World’s Canon, and that’s OK.:+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

*Emphasis mine.

Well, then, if you know any people who are experiencing that predicament, have you recommended Stud.io and Swampykara’s and Galva’s parts packs to them? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes