BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Not to toot Gilahu’s horn again, but he was open to people using his design.

2 Likes

Yeah, but I couldn’t use it as the connection would be Balljoint to Balljoint and thus impossible and a different problem is the head being a bit too big.

1 Like

I just started casting my votes and noticed the results haven’t been posted for the first set of polls. I remember someone brought this up before: were they actually posted anywhere?

I wouldn’t be so insistent they be disclosed for other contests, but there’s more reason for tactical voting for the Hagah. My votes are partially going to be based on which pairings we’re most likely to see winning.

3 Likes

The results haven’t been released as a compilation, but you can still see which ones made it through.

1 Like

That doesn’t work this way. Thankfully for contest, I’m now unable to imagine Artakha as anything except winner moc, and same for Helryx. Don’t know why, it’s just got this way. And same thing may’ve happen to any other person. We can have contests, even working same way as what we’ve got now, without being about canon.

It’s one of reasons I don’t like the contests. Besides being held really horribly, it also kills off imagination about look on specific characters sometimes.

It’s not about image of something that will never be a thing, it’s already is in the Greg’s web serials and other things, and it’s solidifying it’s appearance

That’s a small help, but for people who are voting on the basis of what designs fit best together in the team lineup; if they can see that one Bomonga entry is overwhelmingly popular (i.e. is pretty likely to win), they can then make a more informed vote on which of the other Hagah look best alongside that Bomonga. Basically it just removes some uncertainty.

@Eljay Please make sure this at least happens for the semifinals results. Doesn’t seem like disclosing them has much of a downside.

1 Like

Mine’s still in the works, but it’s coming along nicely:

12 Likes

Have you considered that that could be an issue on your part, and not the contests’? Like, I genuinely want to know, I’m not just trying to introduce my point.

I’ll be fully transparent: I like the Artakha art, as I was lucky enough that the art depicted him as I imagined him.

Helryx, on the other hand?

Absolutely not. I’ll be honest and say I really hate both the MOC and art. It conflicted everything I’d ever thought of Helryx, from the mask design, to the posture, to the build, to the general aesthetic.

And because I dislike it, I still just headcanon it as a different appearance, they way I always imagined her. If the fact that there’s an official appearance or explanation negates the possibility of someone being able to have a headcanon, then the concept of a headcanon wouldn’t exist.

I believe they’re currently at Brickfair, if I remember the dates correctly. That could explain why they’ve been a little inactive.

9 Likes

It is for sure my issue, but I also sure it’s issue other people are dealing with too

And I’m not saying I don’t like contest winners, especially artworks. Just it killed off for me other images of those characters, and it bothers me a lot

1 Like

yeah, he’s over there right now

were you a good social interactionist and said hi

2 Likes

i’m not there
i will tomorrow though

1 Like

@Winger It may be difficult to believe, but @GoodGuy2006 is actually a person, and not a little figure people take to Brickfair with them :wink:

…or maybe not

Fair enough though. Hopefully he will read over the chat when he’s back, or one of the mods will pass on the important gossip.

1 Like

this

this is news to me

therefore it must be categorically false.

In this topic? Never heard of it.

6 Likes

They’re there, and they may or may not partake of the $4.50 wine!

i will make it my sole goal to dab on eljay tomorrow

2 Likes

I’ve got a spare head that I’d like to refine a little for Lariska, but heck if I know what I’d do for literally the rest of her body.

1 Like

I would retort but Keksalot did such a good job that I’m leaving it at this.

Just know you’ll get useful critique whether you like it or not should you choose to post. If that’s too much, the boards and its users are not to blame.

And now the topic goes back into the one thing Eljay said to please stop discussing so I disappear again… But not before quoting this:

delicious

6 Likes

The way I see it, there are multiple camps involved here and as time goes on, they seem to be getting increasingly more tribalist in some ways.

These are the ones I’ve noticed, in no particular order.

Camp 1 is the people who care about the canon a great deal and want to add to it in any way they can. This (seems, at least) to be the majority opinion on the TTV boards proper. They probably don’t have a lot of strongly-held headcanons, and are either willing to replace those they do have with the new canon forms, or suspend their canon adherence in the event that one they don’t like wins.

Camp 2 are people who care about the canon a great deal and don’t want to add to it. They’ve got some staunch headcanons and aren’t willing to let go of them, or they want to keep the freedom that they’ve enjoyed in the past 11 years to keep iterating on those characters in ways that aren’t defined by the baseline of a canon design. Note that a lot of these people are still entering, often because, well, if a canon design is going to be forced in them, they might as well try and make it one that appeals to their own preferences.

Camp 3 are people who don’t care about the canon but are entering anyway, treating it as another Bio-Cup. They can enter some really good models but often they don’t fit the canon designs at all, and the builders seem to refuse to accept that they’re supposed to be creating the official design of a character and not necessarily the most technically competent build. There were a lot of Helryx entries that followed this, dozens that didn’t seem to really try to match any aspect of the description at all or were trying to be art pieces more than anything else. I really wish these people would stop entering in all honesty, largely because of…

Camp 4 are people who just like seeing cool new MOCs and voting for their favourites. If all the MOCs are themselves canon-compliant then this isn’t much of a problem, but if you get weird stuff then it can swiftly become a problem as this group is more likely to make those types of models succeed.

This thread and many discussions about the contests off-site are rapidly turning into fights between Camp 1 and 2, with occasional teaming up to dunk on Camp 3, while Camp 4 presumably eats popcorn and watching the fights.

I personally started out in Camp 1 but I’ve drifted into Camp 2.

That said, I think the particular subject matter of this contest has exacerbated the tension, largely because the rules are so restrictive. And the presence of the rules is not a bad thing, the lore we have for the Hagah basically mandates that this be the ruleset used.

But that makes them a terrible subject for a contest. In all honesty, I only voted for one or two entries per poll in Round 1, instead of choosing three, because most of them looked the ****ing same. As Dag said, if they wanted to do canon designs for the Hagah they could’ve done a vote on masks and speartips (and maybe breastplates) and then given us a quick art contest, and it’d be done, without having months on end where half the MOC section of the boards was a Toa Metru-flavoured remake of Attack of the Clones.

We’ve got Tuyet next, which will be the third Toa of Water in four contests. And that’s one that’s absolutely going to have battle lines drawn it very quickly. I can all but guarantee that there’ll be fights between people who want her to be a Metru build to put her with Lhikan, and people who are just sick and tired of Metru builds already and want her to be something else purely for the sake of variety. And unlike with the Hagah, there is no Greg quote to firmly say she is or isn’t a specific build.

11 Likes

I feel roasted to an unrecognizable crisp.

My hope for Tuyet is that people will just be fed up with arguing and let TTV do their thing.

4 Likes