BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I don’t think it is; BS01 archives canon, but they don’t get to make decisions on it.

Right now, there’s no objectively correct answer; every Greg Quote about the Mahri masks includes something like “as far as I know”, or “at least this many changes”. While it’s possible that the official Faxon piece is the standard shape, it’s also possible that it’s not, and we can’t know unless Greg gives some clarification. He’d probably be more willing to give a definitive answer if there’s an actual alternative to the standard piece, rather than having to say “the parts aren’t standard and I don’t know what is”.

Personally, I’d prefer that the standard Faxon didn’t have sockets for tubes and lightbulbs that aren’t part of the standard mask, but that’s not my decision.

To be fair, the Mask of Psychometry does the same thing.

That’s what I meant when I said “I wonder which side [of Willess’s two proposed interpretations] BS01 [would] fall on.” Strictly speaking they’d have to label it as “an unknown mask,” but I don’t know if they necessarily will do that.

Just to be clear, this is what the standard Faxon looks like. No visor, no breathing tubes/gills, no Barraki eye on top. It still has the sockets obviously, but personally they don’t bother me. I mean, the standard Pakari has sockets on the side of it, and nobody complains about those.

6 Likes

As far as I know, there is no source that confirms that to be a standard Faxon. There is the quote Jerminator posted above that says Lesovikk’s is normal, but his has a visor and a tube on one side.

We hate the standard Bolitak with a hideous filter on mouth.

If I remember correctly, Greg said the part where Mahri’s mask was modified by Ignika was hose part.
(But foolishly, it’s gills.)

2 Likes

The preponderance of evidence does. Greg qualifying his answers with things like “as far as I know” comes from him not knowing what the set designers would be doing a year or two down the line, or what the story team would necessarily be doing and what the needs of the story would be.

It obviously never became an issue with the sets or story.

Therefore: the Mahri masks are the standard form of those masks, sans visors and gills. That’s not just my stance, that’s TTV’s stance as well after considering all the evidence. The fan fiction masks were allowed on the premise that they were variants of the standard shapes that the Inika and Mahri masks represent.

And that’s it. I’m done arguing this because it’s been argued before and there’s nothing else that can be argued for what the standard shapes are.

2 Likes

Unless there’s a source that directly says the picture you posted above is the standard Faxon, it’s not confirmed. Probable, sure, but not confirmed.

I don’t care.

I actually have no strong feelings one way or the other. I would definitely be fine with having that as the standard Faxon, but I also see the possibility of something different being the standard shape.

1 Like

I’m also not a fan of that, but I’ve accepted that other standard masks have done it as well (Volitak, Olmak, etc.)

At the end of the day, I’d be fine with the official piece being standard, as long as it’s confirmed either way.

Do you have a source for that?

Okay so, little poll, just want to know what people think about it. Do we want to Tuyet and/or Nidhiki to be Metru?

Nidhiki
  • Metru
  • Krakua-like
  • Nothing on above
  • Doesn’t matter

0 voters

Tuyet
  • Metru
  • Non-Metru
  • Doesn’t matter

0 voters

1 Like

We have 7 metru Toa, 6 Mata, 1 inika, and 2 unique builds (3 if you count Varian). We need more variety.

I put “none of the above” on nidhiki, but I wouldn’t mind a Krakua build.

Technically, we already have 13 metru

Or wait. How do you even count?

There are actually 13 Metru, 7 Mata (of all 5 are Inika now (?)) and 8 Inika (or 13, if we count in AA Nuva)

The Toa Metru don’t count because they were inspired by Lhikan. I’m talking about normal Toa with no/unknown inspiration.

Lesovikk is mutated.
Takanuva is based on the Mata.
Inika are mutated.

All 6 Mahri have no inspiration, and among with unknown inspiration we have Lesovikk and Jovan

Lesovikk is mutated, we have no idea what his build was before. And the inika don’t fall under normal Toa, otherwise they would be Mata build.

Jovan is the only known Inika Toa.

I think a big thing for Nidhiki would also be to take cues from the original set.

Copying designs from Krakua could be pretty neat as well. Maybe not an exact 1:1 replica, but maybe similar feet, or the same chestplate.

2 Likes

I just begun to question. Are really Mata and Inika are different things? Here are some points:

• 2 Matabuild Toa were represented in stars literally same way as Gresh, who is Inikabuild. “Piraka” set, Nektann, also uses same body type. And Skakdi did before look like Inika.
  • Takanuva go from Mata to Inika and in reverse by… changing his size? Pretty strange thing that he changes his build
  • Toa Nuva, after they started to use AA, portrayed as Inika.
  • Inika themselves are Inika, not Mata. Yes, I know Greg said that their appearance comes from unnatural way of transformation, but, well, it started to make more sense actually for all this thing, that they actually transformed into what they would’ve seen as their appearance as Toa. And not same look as the some random Toa who later became Turaga of island they travel to.

1: minor nitpick, I wouldn’t call Takanuva 08 a Inika build. More like a titan build.
2: well, yeah, he’s a different build, it’s not like they could just make the same pieces bigger.

Anyway, yeah, characters change build all the time. My point is that we have an oversaturation of default Metru build Toa. Over half of the individual Toa are Metru build.

1 Like

Not only just individuals. Of all Toa with known build Metru covers half of them

For the first question,

I think about this answer, that lesovikk was not mutated enough to cause a change in body type change.

And we just saw 400 over metru torso a month ago. Honestly, I’m sick of it.
even, we now have eight more Metru torso.

This is actually something I just thought about yesterday, too.

Basically, my stance is - if it’s canon, it should fit in somewhere in the universe. Meaning at least for me personally that Inika-scale is the most preferable. Then again, I have to point out that I’m not someone who puts sets/models on display. And if I ever have the room to do so, those would likely end up being MOCs. Hence, I do not care whether Nidhiki and Tuyet fit in with Metru Lhikan (in fact I’d just rather revamp Lhikan to Inika scale - as I’ve already done…)

I’m frequently revamping stuff, so it’s more about the core features of what’s canon than what exactly is canon that I care about - as long as contest winner and canon information do not contradict each other (of course, a MOC should also be well-built, but that’s purely contest relevant).

And the core features for me are (and this ties into why purism matters to me):

• mask/head
  • colour scheme
  • prominent armor parts
  • general appearance of tools/weapons
  • for non-Toa the general silhouette
1 Like