BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

My guess is that they’ll probably start the Tuyet contest this year. There’s way less preparation they need to do then the Hagah.

9 Likes

This is something I’ve been wondering about for a while; what exactly is the policy on this?

I understand that we won’t be canonizing any background information (standard power of any custom Hagah masks, for example), but what about new information contained in the canonized artwork?

For example, say that the canon art for Marendar shows it fighting a Toa that we’ve never seen before; does that Toa also become canon, then? Or if there’s a Matoran in the background of Tuyet’s artwork?

2 Likes

I think the general consensus was backdoor canonization is a no-no.
Personally I am not a fan of the concept either, as it seems like a very intentional manipulation of this quite generous opportunity to attempt to add something that was not originally agreed upon.

9 Likes

While I’m usually here to post absolute garbage and make fun of the ardent cries for whatever inane idea people have this time, I do have a genuine question, one that @RiderBD posed and I desperately need answered:

Since it technically stresses minifigure parts to remove their arms, are those considered cut/damaged or stressed parts, even though they are technically removable and replaceable? I would assume not, but it is a pretty important question since we’re coming up on the Lariska contest and a number of MOCs use teal arms given the overall lack of teal.

6 Likes

It technically stresses pins to remove or insert into a pinhole. So I’d say minifig arms are fine.

6 Likes

I find the best way to remove minifig arms is to stab the minifig through chest and work the gash outward to the socket. Just make sure your blade doesn’t knick the arms. Discard the carcass when finished. You can keep the head and legs as a trophy if you’d like/reuse them.

8 Likes

No thanks, I don’t like filet-o-fig.

9 Likes

One quick question, are parts allowed to be recolored into different colors in stud.io
that they do not exist in real life (i.e. a Metru foot recolored into teal) for the canon contests?

Yes.

Recoloured parts are allowed in both physical and digital entries.

1 Like

But it should be? I don’t have problems with Lariska and recoloring pieces to teal, since there are few pieces with that color. Tuyet on the other hand is blue, without being a specific shade of blue. There are a lot of pieces of those colors, so it should be restricted recoloring pieces for that character, for the sake of replicability.

Why would replicability play any role here? No MOC is ever going to be 100% replicable, there will always be that one person that doesn’t have all parts required to build it. Tuyet is going to have a custom mask anyway, getting one is much more of a hassle than painting some pieces. I say no to any restrictions here.

3 Likes

A lot of pieces come in blue, but not all of them.

The focus of these contests is the appearance of the character, not replicability or purism. If someone believes Tuyet would look best with a dark blue Gahlok shield as a chest plate, they should be allowed to express that appearance.

Now, if you want to only vote for purist MOCs, that’s totally fine; I try to do that myself as well. I just don’t think it should be a mandated rule.

It’s not just about the hassle for some people; it’s also about not damaging official (and possibly retired) parts. 3d printing might be more of a hassle, but it doesn’t damage official parts.

12 Likes

Then 3D print the parts that need to be painted, duuhhh

6 Likes

I know this is a half-joke but i’m fully serious in the fact that I think we should encourage artists like Kingsidorak who are working on replicating parts for 3d printability and accuracy in order to maintain our stupid little hobby.

10 Likes

Now learning how to paint well, THATs the challenge.

6 Likes

There’s always the alternative of commissioning resin molders. Zion Tryos work is amazing, so is Socketballs

3 Likes

Since Orde has no canon kanohi, and he was created before the implementation of the Toa Code, can he be dipicted in kanohi that would later be considered immoral, like a tryna or a mask of aging?

5 Likes

thats
actually a really good question
tryna orde gang anyone?

4 Likes

I mean, he might’ve existed before the Toa Code, but he was still a Toa for all of the code’s existence. I don’t think that exonerates him from following it.

Just because you were born before a rule was made does not mean you don’t follow it.