BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I do not like the 1-1-1-1-1-1 split. These are supposed to be “Honor Guards” which are decorated warriors meant to both guard and presumably look nice. You’ll notice most guards on Earth here tend to be very uniform. I expect in MU there’s some uniformity. obviously there’s not much uniformity in the canon models besides color but let’s not talk about that. I just think it’s silly for a group of decorated guards to look like a rainbow.

8 Likes

Worth noting that, unlike other Toa teams, they all have the same weapons.

So I think that’s a good argument for 33 or 222.

2 Likes

I totally agree. Some uniformity is a must and there’s already some very noticeable consistency with armour and proportions.

But in the visible MU, there’s almost no consistency with Toa team appearances. Only two teams of Toa were visually consistent - the Mata/Nuva and the Metru(+ Hordika) - and every other Toa team, along with ones which have not yet received canonical appearances - are anything but uniform, as Greg has all but directly stated that not-yet-pictured Toa teams such as the Mangai and Lesovikk’s team were extremely different from one another. The visually consistent Toa teams are much the exception and not the rule.

Even the ones created by external forces, like the Inika/Mahri, with a consistent vision in mind by the source of the transformation, ended up with the most wildly colored Toa teams to ever receive sets. And in the Inika’s case, this was done by the database for all life in the MU - the Red Star, which had received the blueprints for thousands of MU residents who bit the dust and needed reforming - and I have to assume if the Red Star can’t get it right, then maybe it isn’t the standard to have everything be neat and trim.

With that being said, Pink Pouks was a joke. And like all good jokes, there comes a point at which anyone still reiterating it must be doing so unironically, as anyone having fun with the humour has moved on to better things. Absolutely the Hagah shouldn’t be a rainbow - a rainbow is vibrant, extremely varied, and has seven colours so it wouldn’t work anyway, which is why I chose the comparatively muted Copper in my colour choices, making Kualus’ metal blue the brightest and most vibrant pigment out of the whole group - which, on Kualus, being a Toa of Ice, is actually darker than his base color.

It’s possible to have your cake and eat it too, imo. Just not beyond the realm of reason. TL;DR, you right bro, but KDNX’s 1-1-1-1-1-1 isn’t the only flavor available, and since I am always right mine is clearly the correct answer.

9 Likes

I just want to mention that a full contingent of Rahkshi looks like a rainbow.

People are funny-lookin’ in the MU. I don’t think color uniformity would be a standard there.

12 Likes

I cannot find a spot where all the entries so far are linked, is there a topic that has a list or at least entries linked? Previously there was but my site navigation skills lack somewhat :sweat:

nvm checking “artwork” seems to do fine enough. Still I am sure there was a topic where entries are linked.

1 Like

Yep

2 Likes

wait
are you gonna enter

2 Likes

Not yet, no.

I will have to pull some “all nighters” first before I have anything worth entering, external circumstances willing.

4 Likes

Also when is the final day for submissions? Is it on the 11th?

It is, at 11:59 PM EST.

3 Likes

So, am I the only one who doesn’t really care about armor colors?

This is all subjective, but the Hagah look fine to me as they currently are, both individually and as a team. The color scheme doesn’t have to be perfectly even to look still look good. Don’t fix what ain’t broke as the old saying goes.

11 Likes

About Kanohi for the entries the new forms would be considered as a new mask with unkwon power? I guess the Pouks’s “Kakama” would be considered as a new mask form, since is quite different to a normal Kakama. But what about Bomonga? His Faxon is quite similar to a normal Faxon (as I understand, a normal Faxon has the same form than Hahli’s Faxon, without the tubes, visor and light). So would that mask be considered as Faxon shape mask or a new unkwnow mask that looks almost the same as Faxon?

Both would be considered “unknown masks”

I sure hope this isn’t the final outcome.

I know it’s not technically in the original scope of the contests, but it doesn’t really seem out of line to have Greg confirm that these masks are variants of existing masks (or maybe even the standard shape, in Bomonga’s case).

(I’m personally hoping that Pouks ends up with a Noble Kakama rather than a Kakama variant, but I still stand behind my above statement in the event that the Kakama variant is canonized)

If we’re going to ask the question, couldn’t this also apply to Kualus? Both the Bomonga and Kualus models use unofficial fan-created mask models based on existing masks, and neither mask is an absolutely perfect replica of the existing mask.

2 Likes

Since the mask of sensory aptitude only have one draw apperance, I guess it won’t have problem to introduce a new draw to his gallery (the 3d model won’t be cannoniced). The new draw would be just another artist interpretation, especially when the original apperance was made in a not very set accurate style.

I don’t have created a post for my entry …

Couple of questions for the community in regards to Tuyet.

1. Do you guys think that Tuyet’s armor shoulder be metallic, or matching her elemental scheme?

2. Do you imagine her as Metru, Faux (edited) Metru, Custom, or other?
    (If Metru, should she have the standard articulation in line with Lhikan?)

3. Should she be about the same height as Lhikan? Or is taller okay?

4. Do you think her sword should be custom? Or are some of the prefabbed pieces we have okay?

Definitely Elemental colour scheme. The fact that metallics are considered separate from the Elemental colours is exactly why I don’t think they should be present; Toa should be easily distinguished by their unique Elemental colour schemes, not covered in a generic colour that anyone can have.

I’d prefer a simple custom build like Krakua and Helryx, but I’d be down for a Metru build as well. The important thing for me is that she looks good next to Lhikan, in terms of things like level of detail, or proportions.

Again, the most important thing to me is that the winning model should look good next to the official Lhikan model. I don’t really care whether she’s taller or not, but they should definitely be the same scale. Though I do feel like she’d be taller than him.

If she has a sword, I don’t really care care how it’s made. Having a purist sword would certainly be more convenient, but this also seems like one of the exact situations in which Lego would have introduced a new piece just for Tuyet.

2 Likes

I mean, she is a villain, I’m not exactly going to complain if people make her look aesthetically a villain with some gunmetal. I haven’t decided personally, yet.

Definitely either a faux metru build or a simple custom one like Krakua. And honestly, if we’re realistic, if she had been released as a set she’d likely have been an inika build, so that might be interesting if someone can make it look good.

I mean, as long as she’s relatively proportionate to Lhikan it’s fine. A head taller or shorter is fine by me … I definitely won’t be voting for any titans, though.

There are some awesome sword designs I’ve seen, but I’m good with either or.

5 Likes

Yes, she is a villain, but she views herself as, and poses as, a hero. She’s not like the Makuta, openly evil. I don’t think she’d look any different from any other water Toa.

7 Likes