BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

that looks pretty neat

2 Likes

and before anyone says it, she doesn’t look too evil, she’s just Lhikan’s goth gf :middle_finger:

6 Likes

That’s really cool, though I hope you plan to unify the color in the left forearm :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Yep, that looks quite nice. I like the shoulder armor!

Is the elbow articulation okay though?

2 Likes

that’s the plan, just waiting on a bricklink order from Italy.

(Turns out the italian post is notoriously slow and my package has been stuck in a sorting plant since nov 25th)

the same order has red eyes and a kiina fin in black so her entire skirt is the same colour. Along with the parts to make all of her armor, and mask black, which might be a change I make.

the shoulder is a bit limited, but the elbow has more or less standard range

4 Likes

Here is a question for you all, looking for deliberation on this headspace.

Currently, we’re unsure how much we want to mandate the sword. I’ve heard the argument that since it was only seen with Dark Mirror’s Teridax doing an impersonation of her, that it shouldn’t be mandated as an item for entries. At the same time, it should be noted that the characters native to that universe did not react unusually to Teriyet wielding said sword, which could suggest it’s normal. The question then becomes: Did any other character feature a weapon change from their set/default? The answer to that question would help inform how required it should be.

As an aside, we’re still unsure how we want to go about handling the Nui Stone. Speaking personally, I’m not favorably inclined toward its inclusion, since it’s just a stone that glows when absorbing power. That said, I know a lot of people associate it with Tuyet, and may want an appearance for it finalized. I could see a decent compromise being the allowance of it, but not the mandating of it. What do you all think?

Additionally, I wanna run something else by everyone to get a temperature check. We’d like to allow folks to re-enter their entries from the Helryx contest, so long as the weapons are changed from what was required for Helryx. The obvious exceptions would be anything that would violate the rules or had been previously DQ’d. Entries would of course be allowed to make other modifications to improve/alter their Helryx entries to fit more in-line with what they believe Tuyet to look like.

The reason for this is because this is a Toa of Water with no strict restrictions, and even less than Helryx had. There were a lot of Helryx entries which (if certain modifications were made) could make just as good or better entries for Tuyet. This also helps reduce strain on those that may want to enter this contest but don’t want to go through the effort of designing an entirely new Toa of Water.

Please share your thoughts and opinions, we appreciate the deliberation!

19 Likes

Honestly my take would be to mandate a broad sword, and leave it up to the builder to decide if they want to make it barbed or not. I feel like that’s a fair compromise?

I get why you would want to do this but I can’t say Im really in favor of it. I’d prefer to see new fresh MOCs

5 Likes

I am firmly of the opinion that Greg would not have said her tool would be revealed in a serial if he meant that AU Tuyet would have her tool revealed in her serial. As far as I’m concerned, the sword is canon, and she should at least be depicted with it in the art.

A lot of people would like it. I agree with allowing and not mandating.

I disagree with this. If it was designed to be Helryx, it is, by definition, not designed to be Tuyet, and so, in my opinion, it should not be accepted without major changes.
EDIT: Then again, not many of the Helryxes were really designed to be Helryx, were they? I’m not sure where I stand, I suppose. It just doesn’t sit right with me letting someone design a MOC as Helryx and enter it as Tuyet, even if many contestants in that contest disregarded the rules.

6 Likes

Does the Helryx rule extend to Gaaki?

2 Likes
Off-Tangent General Argument

I’ve always thought that, given Greg’s writing/visualization style, saying “this was never explicitly mentioned” doesn’t really make sense as an argument. It was used in the Artakha contest to argue against allowing secondary gray, it was used in the Helryx contest to argue against allowing tubes, and it was used earlier today to argue against Tuyet being larger than an average Toa. But the reality is that Greg had little to no idea of what notable features a character did or didn’t have, so the lack of description of a feature shouldn’t necessarily mean that it’s not there.

However, even if we accept the other character’s lack of described reaction as proof that the sword was fitting with her character, that’s only part of the argument; the other part is that Teridax was impersonating an alternate Tuyet. Even if Tuyet’s weapon in that universe is the Barbed Broadsword (which everyone I’ve seen here seems to completely agree with), that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s her prime weapon. Heck:

In that same serial, Alternate Pohatu wielded a large axe as a weapon.

I agree that the Nui Stone itself probably isn’t really anything special, visually speaking. However, the same thing could also be said about Helryx’s mace or Artakha’s hammer; just as Helryx’s armament is a mace and a shield, Tuyet’s inventory has included the Nui Stone in both of her major appearances, and that should be reflected here.

If anything, the Stone’s basic description makes it better to include in this contest, since we can get an official appearance of an important, powerful object without having to go through six weeks of a contest for various red rocks.

I don’t really think this needs to be any kind of special case; the rules already allow for submission of old MOCs. As long as the MOC fits the rules, it should be allowed; I don’t see why its history should be taken into account.

8 Likes

I see no issue with this. If a moc fits the description of Tuyet, it should be permitted, regardless of its original intended purpose.

I’m not a huge fan of this option. It seems a bit random to me to mandate a sword and not require it to be barbed, since Tuyet is never described as wielding a non-barbed sword. Why mandate a sword as opposed to any other weapon?

5 Likes

Which we would of course allow, citing this:

This is just a way to allow people that may not want to entirely recreate a Toa of Water, and at least can utilize a basis they had already made. Not a “copy + paste” so much as a framework to be put back into use. Because there were a lot of really stellar Helryx entries that, with some modification, could work very well as other Toa of Water characters.

Harder to say, we’re just gauging thoughts and opinions. It’s a more difficult call since Gaaki did have a handful of specific restrictions,so the work to change her over would be more. But I wouldn’t say no brashly.

There we go, was looking for something like this. This provides a compelling argument against (at the very least) mandating the Broadsword, but still allowing it.

Also a good point. I recall the Staff of Artakha being a point of contention for many people since it wasn’t allowed. The reason for that was because it was an item he made/involved with, but not one he ever actually used or was seen in the story using. Tuyet has a strong association with the Nui Stone.

Also a good point. This would more answer a question before it came up, in case anyone thought they wouldn’t be allowed to do that.

4 Likes
Every weapon mention in Dark Mirror and The Kingdom

frost still drifting from the sword of [Kopaka] the Toa of Ice.

Note That Kopaka is still a Toa Mata in this universe.

simply gestured with her Barbed Broadsword for them to get moving.

Of note: Both Takua and Dume are in this scene, and Takanuva seemingly recognizes her on sight, likely from the Turaga’s stories.

“Speak or face the power of my Seismic Spear.”

-Bomonga. Note that DM is where the name Seismic Spear came from.

Kualus’ response was a blast of Ice from his Sub-Zero Spear,

Similarly, the name Sub-Zero Spear originated from this serial.

Pohatu answered, grabbing a Protosteel Axe off the wall

Okay, so there’s… this. Note, nowever, that Pohatu Mata doesn’t have a hand weapon; his weapons are his feet Additions. He also grabs it off a wall, implying it’s not just part of his standard gear.

a swipe from Onua’s claws

Onua Mata had claws. Self-explanatory

The first person she brought him to was a tall, strong warrior[Axonn] carrying a massive axe.

I mean, would it be Axonn without an axe? But yeah, he’s got it.

I dislike this simply because I can see people voting for x entry over Y entry just because X has the Nui Stone and Y doesn’t.

I don’t see why not. I can see some people not wanting to do it, simply because they see their moc as X character, but I don’t see any reason to disallow it.

(plus, it’d be stupidly hard to enforce; where do you draw the line between “the same moc but with some armor and weapon swaps” and “a different moc that reuses a lot of the same ideas”?)

8 Likes

Perhaps this could be prevented by making it so that the nui stone is also optional in the art portion. It wouldn’t make much sense to vote for a moc that includes the nui stone, when the artwork could potentially omit or redesign it.

That still has the same issue, just now it’s in the art portion.

2 Likes

I think the best way to do the Nui Stone would be to strictly leave it to the art portion. Like what Willess12 just said, I’d rather not see any disparities in voting just because one MOC has the stone and another doesn’t. Ditching the stone entirely until just the art portion could allow for artists to have more freedom in creating what they envision the stone to be, just in case there is an objectively ugly stone on an otherwise good MOC as well. But I never read the rules so I have no idea lol

2 Likes

And see, this is also an excellent resource to consider. Of all the items, only one is inconsistent with the primary universe, and it was from a character taking an item from somewhere else. Which might suggest that everything else is the same. This helps add to the thought process behind it.

Granted, the argument otherwise would be that people do that anyways. Some aspects are popular in headcanon, and as such get voted for. It’d be a matter of weighing the pros and cons for voters.

Also not a bad idea. It would add to the creative liberty that artists would have, along with the mask/sword.

3 Likes

If you don’t mandate a barbed broadsword than fans have complete freedom on what tool to give her.

Now I’m okay with that personally, but I know a lot of people wouldn’t be. There’s definitely a big camp who believe the barbed sword should be her canon tool. Conversely there’s a big camp who don’t think prime tuyet should look evil and since the barbed broadsword belonges to the evil tuyet wouldn’t want it to be mandated.

Having a sword be the only mandate means we don’t have anyone giving her random toa tools while ensuring both the anti and pro evil looking tuyet camps will have entries that suit their preferences.

1 Like

Even if it’s not mandated I think most entries would still include a sword and I think people would be more inclined to vote for an entry that has a sword anyway.

Personally, I don’t think think it’s really necessary to include it because it really is just a rock. Personally, I don’t think entries should be allowed to have the MOC have the embedded fragments as an integral part of the design, but having her hold it or having the embedded fragments as an optional supplementary piece should be allowed.

I don’t think that’s a good idea because if it needed to be modified from the look of Helryx to Tuyet it might as well just be a new entry altogether.

1 Like

You can ban alt weapons without mandating the sword. She’d be weaponless, but also potentially holding the Nui Stone which more than makes up for it.