BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

It’s implied, but the question was leading. There were other quotes that suggested Nidhiki’s Volitak matched Nuparu’s, sans visor, but I don’t quite recall.

4 Likes

What I thought. Good to know though, for planning purposes.

This was something I suggested a while back. If the rebreather can be left off this would be the “legal” way to do it.

But man, Nidhiki’s art contest is gonna be boring.

Oh and here’s my most recent iteration of Nidhiki, since we’re all sharing them. I’ve posted him elsewhere here.

5 Likes

I’m looking for Greg’s answers to volitak.

these suggest that Nidhiki’s volitak is very similar as Nuparu’s, but the color is different.

This suggests the possibility that the breathing mechanism of the volitak is an attachment such as a visor, but I don’t know it’s meaning hose or rebreather to the mouth.

The problem with basically any quote about the Mahri masks is that they’re open-ended; Greg always left the possibility that there could be difference besides those explicitly listed, because he didn’t want to contradict any future set designs.

Of course, that isn’t an issue for the Volitak, specifically, because it was used on a future set. The Mazeka set more or less confirms that the base Volitak piece used on the Nuparu set is the standard shape of the mask.

The only sticking point is the leading question two which implies that the “rebreather” is a post-production addition, and the fact that Greg did not correct it. Even the appearance of the mask could suggest that it is a separate component.

However, even if we assume that the canister is a third-party component, does that really matter if it’s included on every Volitak? Would it not still be part of the mask’s standard appearance, even if it was not directly forged into the mask?

I’ve been flip-flopping on this for while now, and I think there’s legitimate arguments both for and against mandating the “muffler”.

3 Likes

That photoshop and mask are pretty cool though.

1 Like

There is a quote of him saying that the Mahri masks are the standard shape of those masks and seeing that this is the case for both the Faxon with Lesovikk and the Volitak with Nidhiki its very reasonable to assume the rest are standard shapes as well.

Further more Greg has also said that the Inika masks are the same both organic and non organic. The only reason this wasn’t exactly enforced in the Hagah contest is because they wanted to allow for more freedom with builds.

If someone knows where to find the response to the Volitak’s shape from before the Hagah contest began please let me know. Can’t recall if it was Eljay or Meso who posted it.

Edit: nvm found it Toa Hagah Canon Contest Survey and Final Q&A - #371 by Mesonak

2 Likes

We stopped bullying men who are approaching 60 and got a chance to do it on our own.
but we’re making many thing that becomes Canon and we need to be able to satisfy as many people as possible
so we still want to clarify ambiguous questions and ambiguous answers that are more than a decade old.
Yeah… I don’t think it’s meaningful to bother him now, as shown in the link post posted by Tarkur.

even if we question him now. I don’t know how much Greg will remember.
Even at that time, he rarely cared about the design of set or the appearance of the characters.
I think he’s almost entirely entrusted to his fans about characters appearance.

I think we have to decide on our own, whether volitak’s muffler is add-on or not, whether the inorganic version of the organic mask is different shape or not. and other and other, another, etc etc etc…

1 Like

I haven’t started on my Nidhiki yet but I was gonna pair metru green with sand green…

1 Like

I believe the discussion has passed but if you really want to get into the weeds of Greg’s wording surrounding Nidhiki’s armor, “emerald” has only ever been used to describe green characters who have multiple green hues. Toa Lewa, Zaktan, Karzahni, and Toa Nidhiki have all been called “emerald”, and Zaktan the most. Each of those sans Toa Nidhiki (who has no canonical appearance) has two shades of green - Lewa has mata and lime, Karzahni has metru and lime, and Zaktan has metru and sand.

4 Likes

If silver isn’t allowed, I think the next-best option (from a character design/color scheme standpoint) is sand green. It’ll be a huge plus, for me at least.

2 Likes

So silver isn’t allowed in any capacity correct?

That one’s on me. I’ve slept on it and honestly the “dual colored” wording tripped me up. Now that it’s clarified I’m 100% behind the idea. Plus it also adds to a boatload of variations and color schemes to work with. Can’t wait to see the forest of Nidhiki’s!..or would it be nest of Nidhiki’s?

What’s interesting is that many arguments and speculations said Nidhiki may not be the Metru build, but it seems that Nidhiki actually has more Metru build MOC than Tuyet.

although I also prefer Sandgreen Nidhiki,
but… yes that’s another zaktan slaughterer will be born.

1 Like

that’s actually what I was wanting to use on my Nidhiki

1 Like

I have a question about the rules that hopefully one of the mods can clear up for me. (Anyone else may pitch in as well I just want an official clarification)… Ok so here goes:

If I enter a moc for this example say a Lariska one: Since it is stated that she is able to use Kanohi, now if I want to incorprate that into her build as a playfeature to allow her to wear actual Kanohi pieces may I feature an image or two of the function working without considering it changing the build between pictures or does this evoke rule 4c?

For reference here is the rule:

4c. Once your entry has been officially entered and accepted, no further changes can be made without staff approval.

Edit: Also just because a follow up question:

If I mounted the mask on the moc somewhere for storage would that work as a work around?

Thank you for your time

//Tarkur

2 Likes

i think it doesn’t matter. that’s similar to putting a gear function in MOC and posting a video introducing it.
But…my opinion, that can’t be art or a representative image.
Anyway, since she is the one who refused to wear Kanohi herself
the possibility of wearing Kanohi should only be implied.

The representative image or art that describes whether she was wearing a Kanohi or having it for use is clearly contrary to her character and canon

I’d say its slightly different since it requires adding or removing parts unlike a gear function which hopefully is connected to the build at all times.

Of course she shouldn’t wear Kanohi in the art nor is the intent to show the main entry photo of her with a mask on. However having a function for her and her species to allow you to let them wear kanohi I think could be neat and very unique(as many if not all older canon non toa mask wielders can’t wear them on their sets and models, since they weren’t designed with that in mind) imo.

Well, I don’t know. if it’s just wearing and taking off Kanohi, i think it’s ok but if some parts need to be replaced, it seems to be a matter to be discussed further.

I also can made my moc that Kanohi wearable head if I change my lariska’s face parts or removed a piece, but it’s not important for her character and it changes the build composition

so I only cared about the appearance.

Of course, the most important thing was that Kanohi Wearable head looked ugly.

1 Like

Its pretty much this^ I’m considering. While on the topic I think something similar to this is weapons. May I depict say Lariska in one picture wielding her daggers and then in another picture show them on her weapon storage/removed completly or would that count as a change of build too?

Does this clear things up a bit?

Good question, since Varian also can hide her Elbow Blades and Shield so I’d assume it’s a similar answer?

Discussion seems to have moved past Nidhiki’s mask a bit, but I’ll throw this here anyway:

9 Likes