BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Yes, it was but the color was introduced in like the 60s not that I think Greg or anyone else on the story team was aware of its existence though

3 Likes

Heck I didn’t even know that was a color before you said it’s name. It also seems to be a really uncommon color, even in it’s heyday.
Another thing is we’d have to paint every single piece in the MOC as no Technic or Bionicle/HF parts exist in that color so I really wouldn’t suggest it’s usage.

Edit: Here’s the only Technic piece:

I think that when it comes down to it, ball joint and limb pieces are hard to paint (due to friction rubbing off paint), meaning outside of 3D printing we can’t make custom colored versions of those parts. So whatever we end up deciding, will be limited by those pieces.

1 Like

Ok, I am here with the promised diagram of arguments regarding the Barbed Broadsword. I encourage @Eljay and @Mesonak to go over it.
NOTE: I use my language very carefuly in this post to properly convey my thoughts, so please read carefully yourself.

When it comes to the question of wether the prime Tuyet had Barbed Broadsword (BB for short) there are only two options, here represented in the following statements:
A: Prime Tuyet did wield the Barbed Broadsword.
B: Prime Tuyet did not wield the Barbed Broadsword.
These two statements are in direct negation and thus a true dichotomy.

The following diagram of scales depicts arguments for both statements.
A: includes numerous arguments comming from at least three independent lines of evidence converging in support of the statement.
These are color-coded yellow - default story rule line; green - contest requirement precedent and object usage line; red - Greg statements and language line

B: No evidence in support of statement B has been provided up to this point despite multiple claims of its existence. All that has been provided are statements of lack of evidence or a non-conviction by some of the discrete arguments supporting statement A.

The numbered arguments are explained in text form below the diagram:

1. As an empirical rule permeating the G1 canon – in general, all of the alternate universe (AU) characters have the same equipment (this includes toa tools and masks) as their prime reality counterparts by default, unless there is a very specific reason or circumstance stated for them not to (such as the Melding AU).

2. Explicit confirmations of the identical weapons include but are not limited to: DM Kualus, DM, Bomonga, DM Kopaka, DM Onua, DM Shadowed One, DM Roodaka, Kingdom Takanuva, Kingdom Axonn. Notice most of these come from the same universe as DM Tuyet‘s BB.

3. This default rule is also logical, since the AU‘s diverge from the prime reality when a different decision is made. This means that the DM Tuyet and prime Tuyet are identical and the timeline only diverges at Nidhiki‘s decision in the Many Deaths of Toa Tuyet.

4. Aside from BB, other toa tools were enforced in the contest and canonized based on their sole appearance in an AU, such as the very recent Seismic Spear and Sub-zero Spear which only appeared in Dark Mirror (same as BB).

5. Tools never explicitly used by their prime or AU wielders (and therefore with less usage than BB) were already mandated in the contest such as the Artakha‘s hammer. This hammer is never even mentioned or hinted at in any story material, and the only reason we know of its existence is due to fan demand in Greg quotes. Also this hammer is not a signature weapon in the first place, just a repurposed crafting tool.

6. Prime Tuyet performes a „slashing attack“ in the Reign of Shadows, implying the usage of a sword-like weapon. Based on the assumed reader‘s knowledge of the combatant‘s weaponry, this would have to be BB.

7. Greg has stated several times he was going to reveal Tuyet‘s toa tool in the upcoming story serials including during DM. Greg then delivered on his promises describing „her Barbed Broadsword“ with proper name and capitalization specific to signature weapons.

8. Both its actual appearance in DM and its originally intended appearance in Into the Darkness was meant to convince the witnesses to believe they are seeing the actual Tuyet.

9. After its reveal, Greg answered numerous questions about BB including both its detailed appearance and functionality, asked in a way where it was clear the question referenced Tuyet‘s Barbed Broadsword. Greg answered all of them without ever correcting anyone even though he is known to often correct fan assumptions, especially those assuming certain rules apply where they shouldn‘t.

Conclusion: There is an overwhelming amount of evidence supporting the view that prime Tuyet did wield the Barbed Broadsword as her toa tool. This evidence also does not come from a single source or a line of thought, but instead there are multiple lines of evidence converging on the same answer.
While some counter-arguments have been raised toward select isolated arguments, these are either a severe strech or can be disputed further, and even if their targets were to be ultimately discredited, there are multitudes of other arguments lying in wait unaffected.
Meanwhile, zero evidence has been provided to the only alternative option - prime Tuyet does not wield Barbed Broadsword as her toa tool.

Therefore, the evidence is sufficient beyond any reasonable doubt that the prime Tuyet did in fact wield Barbed Broadsword as her toa tool and was Greg’s intention all along. For this reason, Barbed Broadsword should be mandated in the Tuyet canon contest, as a bare minimum, at least in the art portion, so that the final canonized product is equiped with it.

No comprimises are necessary nor justified. To suggest that the two options mentioned are somehow even or on an equal footing, and thus in need of a compromise, would be an intellectualy dishonest position to take, in the light of the current evidence.

Mandating the BB is the only logical and sound option.

And of course, if anyone actually has some evidence supporting claim B, they are more than welcome to come forth and present it.

17 Likes

when’s the next contest gonna start?

1 Like

I could be wrong, but my sources say sometime in the year 2022.

6 Likes

I’d also like to drop this piece of handcanon I’ve had for a bit: Koa sword for inspiration. It fits within Bionicle for Polynesian influence, and could be considered on brand to a water character for its islander influence.

The shark teeth-blades act as both a way to serrate and barb opponents who pull away.

I think it also makes the weapon less barbaric and more ceremonial and cultured. The lens of perspective could change it to utilizing fish bones to prevent waste and be functional, such as Nokama’s trident

20 Likes

The only reason in the past I was for both sides having equal say if they wanted it or not was I wanted it to be a fair chance for both sides. However after reading about the slashing quote during discussion about this changed my mind. This post confirms to me that it should at least be mandated for the art.

I will restate the idea I had earlier, as it’s relevant to the current conversation.

What if we used the same system for masks, where you can choose whether or not to keep your sword design for the art or allow for it to be changed.
This would allow for more Tuyet entries and for others who just have the sword design to enter as well. We could also run both the sword and mask at the same time to speed up the process. This is just a suggestion, not a mandate

I love it! Definitely making mine wield a sword like that. Thanks for bringing it up!

Side note, do we know if both sides of the BB have spikes? I swear there was a quote that says it does but I can’t seem to find it.

2 Likes

Yep, it does

Interesting, I hadn’t heard of that weapon till now

In a similar vain, a fishbone-inspired sword could work well. It too would connect to her element, and could also subtley reference her murderous side

4 Likes

Thanks!

I mean Toa can technically kill Rahi without breaking their code so yeah I’d agree. “The rule against killing does not appear to extend to Rahi, but only to sapient life.”
Would the sword be a shade of blue then since Nokama’s trident was made similarly?

1 Like

I was thinking of a swordfish sword but this is much cooler!

2 Likes
Barbed Broadsword Rule Discussion

“Empirical” isn’t a definitive answer.

This is also empirical.

It means they were identical at the time of Tuyet’s betrayal, but Dark Mirror Tuyet could easily have switched weapons at some point since.

This is untrue.

Bomonga and Kualus’s spears were only ever named in Dark Mirror, but it was confirmed elsewhere that they wielded spears in the prime universe:

Official Greg Dialogue | Page 181

You admitted yourself that Artakha’s hammer had canon backing. You can’t just ignore that.

This quote is often taken out of context. Greg had promised at least once before that her tool would be revealed, but then later said that he didn’t know what it was when asked. A promise to reveal the tool “when she appears in the story” is not necessarily indicative of him actually having anything planned.

Neither of these comparisons are accurate. The former was intended to convince others that they were seeing Alternate Tuyet, while the latter never actually happened (if it did, I would agree that Prime Tuyet definitely wielded it).

Ultimately, I feel like you’re misunderstanding the arguments being put forth by those who disagree with you:

Nobody is arguing for B. The argument is for a third option that you didn’t address: Tuyet’s weapon is unknown, and may or may not be the Barbed Broadsword. None of your points objectively disprove this option.

I should be honest with my intentions here: I agree with you that Greg almost-certainly intended for Prime Tuyet’s weapon to be the Barbed Broadsword, and I intend to prioritize entries that include it (assuming the rules even allow for its absence). However, I didn’t like it when the Hagah Contest made rules based on assumptions, and I don’t want it to happen again, even if I personally agree with this specific assumption.

The quote should also allow for just one spike per side, right? I wanted to go for a less-explicitly-evil design:

This is a neat idea as well.

3 Likes

DM wasn’t a serial, it was a podcast, meaning the capitalization was just from fan transcription, and isn’t valid evidence.

I think there’s a bigger question we need to ask. Rather than asking whether Prime Tuyet had the sword as her Toa Tool, we should be asking whether it’s an integral part of her appearance, because that’s what we’re canonizing, Tuyet’s appearance. The sword is not mentioned at all in TMDoTT, only possibly implied in RoS, and even in the AU is never actually wielded by Tuyet herself. Is it really such an important part of her character to have it be mandated if she was never described as wielding it, whether or not she had it at all?

This is kind of an opposite situation to Artakha, where he typically did not have weapons, but did wield a hammer when he appeared in story.

3 Likes

Hi, some replies before I was asked to upload my Toa Chiara

This is her, the rider of the storm. I finally decided to use blue-violet and light violet as purple like alternatives for blue and white respectively, with purple lightning details. Her weapon was called the “Lightning Javelin” by herself, just because it rhymes, sort of.

There’s no information on her Toa tools so I guess that’s open to the desginer’s free will.

4 Likes

Not sure, but nice design! I remember seeing a similar sword but can’t remember where.
I decided to try my hand at designing a Koa Sword, here’s the attempt:

I’m currently trying to get rid of the holes in the blade

4 Likes

I guess I can see that as blue and white. The darker lighting helps, I think.

The weapon is also pretty cool. The one thing I’m not quite sure of are the “lightning bolts” on her arms. Are they meant to represent energy, or are they actually physically part of her armour?

I’ve posted it here before. Maybe that’s where you saw it?

2 Likes

Oh no I was remembering this weapon, the Ikakalaka:

Megatron had one in the movies, so that’s where I saw it:

It’s still a great design you’ve made.

3 Likes

He had something planned: a story serial with Tuyet as the main villain, which he was two chapters into when he answered that question.

But even if he had no plans of ever featuring Tuyet: so what? He said he’d reveal her weapon when she showed up. And that’s exactly what he did.

This argument, IMO, is silly.

Let’s disregard all the other evidence for a moment. The “slashing attack”, the name debate, Greg answering questions about the weapon. Let’s ignore all of that, and state the very core of the argument:

Greg said he would reveal Tuyet’s weapon. Then he did.

Everything else just serves to prove that yes, the weapon he gave her is the weapon he meant to give her. But the simple fact is: he wrote that line to reveal Tuyet’s weapon, because people had been asking about it since 2007.

Tuyet’s weapon is known. It’s a Barbed Broadsword.

Now this… is a good question.

I would argue that yes, it is. It’s her Toa Tool of choice. It’s part of her character, just as a Scythe is part of Nidhiki’s character, and a Disk Launcher is a part of Vakama’s character. The fact that she wielded a Barbed Broadsword, as opposed to a set of hooks like Gali, or Hydro blades like Nokama, tells us something about Tuyet.

5 Likes

The fact that she was never shown in story wielding it tells us something about her character too. Here’s what I mean.

The primary purpose of Toa Tools is to focus and channel a Toa’s elemental power. This is why Toa Tools are important for the average Toa. Tuyet is not average, however. At some point in her history, she comes into possession of the Nui Stone, which can greatly increase her elemental energy, far more than a Toa Tool can.

Not that I hold to this, but it certainly could be argued that once she got the Nui Stone, she ditched her sword in favor of it. This would explain not only why she was never shown to wield the sword, but also why Makuta disguised as her had it in the AU.

But concerning the rules, I still firmly believe that the best course of action is allowing the sword, but not mandating it. The Nui Stone, however, should be mandated, because it is a far greater part of her character than the sword.

5 Likes

That doesn’t make sense. If she ditched it after getting the Nui Stone, why would Makuta disguised as her have it?

1 Like

I’m saying she ditched her sword as her primary Toa Tool, but she could’ve still had it in her possession somewhere. Perhaps upon creating her empire, she retired it to the Archives, where Makuta took it.

Again, not saying I think this what happened, just that it could’ve happened. This is pretty much the opposite situation of Artakha’s hammer, and is a reason to not have the sword mandated.

1 Like