BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Maybe it could work in a similar way it did with the Hagah spears. Only placeholders as long as the builder is ok with it or wants it changed.
There might be people who want to use a design that doesn’t exist as a 3D model. For example, I wanted to use this sword I drew, but since I don’t have a 3D model, I can’t enter it. And since not everyone has enough skill to participate in the art portion (including me), it can’t be used. But it could be left as a suggestion for the art portion if the sword is allowed to be changed.

2 Likes

… would you guys say my sword has the barbs facing the right way?

2 Likes

Yeah. The ones that are part of the Kurahk staff definitely are. The ones in the middle are a little more questionable, but I’d say they’re close enough.

The bigger question is whether or not they’re curved. I’d, again, say yes, but it’s definitely less obvious than their direction.

3 Likes

I used this sword design for my Tuyet, I’m curious as to people’s opinions on whether this would count as a “barbed broadsword” and if those are angled the correct way.

1 Like

Cool design, and I’d say the actual “barbed” parts qualify.

They’re angled the correct way but they also seem very chonky for barbs. That said, I don’t want to limit people’s options.

3 Likes

I feel like any blade with a serrated or jagged edge could do damage when pulling out, though I will concede that barbs pointed toward the hilt would be the most efficient in this area. Even so, I don’t particularly like this revelation because I’d rather not use a custom printed blade if I didn’t have to and coming up with a design that both looks good and conforms to its descriptions has proven difficult.

Does this mean that entries that have a sword that doesn’t 100% conform to the barbed broadsword’s description (such as how mine uses a Brutaka blade as the blade and places some barbs along the hilt) are still good under the stipulation that the sword’s design will be changed if they win?

I meant to ask this earlier, but what is the reasoning for this? I have never seen a quote specifying the direction of the barbs.

1 Like

Yes.

This quote. The only direction that curved barbs would do more damage if removed would be if they were curved toward the hilt, like a fishing hook.

3 Likes

Well, that was a first.

To be honest, I was just sharing my opinion, thought it would lead to some discussion. Wasn’t expecting lj to pop in and say “you’re right, and also we’re making it a rule”.

I do think the handle facing barbs makes the most sense, though.

1 Like

I’ve seen that quote before, but I’ve always thought it just meant “the barbs do extra damage compared to a sword with no barbs”, rather than “the barbs are arranged for extra damage compared to other arrangements”. It never even occurred to me that the quote might be referring to a specific orientation.

I do also agree with this from a subjective standpoint, though:

If that is the general consensus, then we can go that route. It’s just that the current understanding is that there is an orientation, since the barbs are curved.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s definitely an orientation, I just didn’t think the quote specified it (though I can also see how it could be read that way).

Well, he does say “when you pull it out, you do more damage”, not just “it does more damage”. Greg seems to be saying that the barbs are meant for that purpose specifically.

2 Likes

Yeah, the definition of barb is a projection that points back or away from the main point. You wouldn’t call those points barbs if they weren’t pointing in the same direction or perpendicular to the main blade. They would just be spikes/ serrations.

2 Likes

Tarix is also described as azure.

It’s just a fancy word for blue in this context, like “emerald” being used for green.

Weakening, Mind Scrambling, Reconstitution, Remove Poison… Technically the Shelek and Felnas although they probably wouldn’t be worn in the present era.

7 Likes

Is he? Otherwise, yeah I’m pretty much in that same boat. I’m not as obsessive over specific shades myself and am just saying that medium blue is probably what Shadow-Nui was thinking of when they used the word.

(Speaking of emerald, some people have said that Nidhiki should have no silver armor because he’s been described as “emerald;” but so was Zaktan, who has a gold torso. Unless there’s a quote that I’ve missed that explicitly says Nidhiki has no silver armor at all, it doesn’t make any sense to prohibit that color.)

“CHARGE!” Tarix roared. Azure warriors of all shapes and sizes emerged from their hiding spots.
Decadence by Dorek - BIONICLEsector01

Keep in mind, this is all before LEGO’s Azur colors were introduced, so there’s no way either author had those in mind or were trying approximate them. This makes me doubtful there’s any greater intent here. Of course, medium blue should be allowed though. The main take-away is that the Calix itself is blue.

Lewa Mata has also been described as emerald:

Toa Lewa, master of air, rider on the wind, emerald-armored hero in the making, had just discovered something very important: He really, truly, deeply hated the water.
Interlude Three | BIONICLE Legends #10: Swamp of Secrets | Wall of History

As for Nidhiki:

Official Greg Discussion | Page 99
3. Toa Nidhiki is green and silver, correct?
3) No, he’s just green. He’s a Toa of Air. Toa Iruini is green and silver.

Official Greg Discussion | Page 100
2. Several places, I’ve seen you say that Norik is Gold/Red and Iruini Silver/Green, when Norik is actually Silver/Red and Iruini Gold/Green. Was that just by mistake, or is that how they’re supposed look like?
2) No, just my mistake. I don’t have the sets and so am going based on my own faulty memory.
3. You also said Nidhiki was all-green, and not Silver/Green. Wouldn’t the latter be more logical, seeing as Lhikan is Gold/Red?
3) Nope. Because Nidhiki didn’t come from the same place Lhikan did, so no reason he would need to be dual-colored like Lhikan. After all, neither Matau nor Lewa is dual-colored, so why would any other Toa of Air be?

Of course, this means that two shades of green, like with Lewa’s lime accent, would be ok.

5 Likes

I’m personally going with medium blue for my Varian because that’s what azure means to me without using CCBS but any blue should work for the MOC (the art can always use a more dictionary-definition azure later).

Oh yeah, this quote.
Now that you bring this up, I remember having seen this quote before and wondering what it means with regards to the grey/black sockets used on the sets (obviously they were not represented in the movies but they were visible in other visual media such as the comics) and whether it means if grey/black can be used as an accent on Nidhiki the same way gold is for Lhikan.
Seeing it now, it’s kind of confusing why Air Toa have to be monochrome when Toa from other elements have had a wide array of secondary colors, even after ignoring the metallic shades used on Lhikan and the Hagah.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I agree. Any “color locks” are stupid IMO… but here we are.
As for grey or black sockets, Matau and Iruini have those so should be fine.
I would argue dark grey is part of Kongu Mahri’s primary colorscheme.

2 Likes

Other than possibly Nuparu, all of the Mahri feature a prominent secondary color that really can’t be listed as monochrome, so it just makes the “if X isn’t this, why would Y” stance for Air Toa that much more stupid.