BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

And that it is ‘somewhat bigger’ than a Toa or Glatorian.

Additional side notes: It is easy to think of Marendar as a mindless killing machine, but that would be incorrect. Marendar is confirmed to be sapient.

Also, it is confirmed to be biomechanical in nature, just like the Toa, Matoran, and most of anyone else in the Matoran Universe.

So, less ‘mindless death robot’ and more ‘hopped up Dark Hunter’.

Finally, this isn’t canon, but it is something to consider:

“Greg Farshtey imagined Marendar eliminating the Toa similarly to how the Sentinels eliminate Mutants in Marvel’s X-Men comics. Marendar would adapt to and resist the Toa’s elements before killing them with specialized weaponry.”

3 Likes

Now that’s got me wondering how that opening scene in DoFP could be reimagined in the Bionicle universe…

2 Likes

Kabrua is a special vorox from bota magna. He could look different such as more ancient and covered in vegetation

An additional strategy against Marendar came to my mind (adding to the Glatorian and Toa Nuva timed blasts).
Still working under the presumption that Marendar’s element nullification works the way we believe it does:

Takanuva is a valuable asset - Avohkii would potentially let him still use his elemental powers despite his intrinsic power being shut down by Marendar. Same result but different mechanism.
This would finally make Avohkii less redundant (since it does not boost his preexisting powers) and would nicelly tie in Takanuva’s destiny in GB civil war (since Marendar crisis would be happening concurrently).

Sow what they would have to work with is five Glatorian with elemental powers, Takanuva, Toa Nuva elemental traps, Tahu’s kraata powers.

2 Likes

Alright, after reading the his bs01 description, I see that you are right…

…but I still think that we don’t have enough details for a Marendar canonization contest.

1 Like

Translucent pieces that would Change color according to what element it’s currently absorbing would be pretty cool.

4 Likes

That is a neat idea, but how would someone shows that in a MOC/artwork. They could include translucent parts, but how would they convey that the translucent parts change color?

1 Like

Ever heard of gradient? That’s how I’d imagine that’d work.

In fact I believe have pic of something similar to this.

Found it

1 Like

OK, that could work. Although, it would only work if the artwork depicts Marendar in the process of absorbing. Otherwise, the color changing feature wouldn’t be canonized.

If someone chose to do that, I imagine that the colors would be
Fire:red
Air: green
Ice: Light blue
Water: Dark blue
Earth: Black, or purple (?)
Stone: Orange (?)

3 Likes

prob by what the color of the frame/skeleton forming it

1 Like

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t like the idea that Nidhiki would have a simple metru torso. He comes from another island and would most likely look something different. I fear for the contest because it’ll probably end up looking like a contest for which set of armor looks better on Matau. I have seen a few unique mocs for him but that’s it. Same goes for Tuyet.

4 Likes

To my knowledge, neither Nidhiki or Tuyet have confirmed bodies of any type.

Unless it is specified by the rules, I highly doubt that any contest will feature Metru torsos in any major capacity. People want to go custom.

looks nervously at my Metru build Tuyet

7 Likes

i feel a toa metru build is fine but with additional armor to differentiate and make it unique.

That fits exactly into the definition of “which set of armor looks better on Matau” I mentioned earlier.

1 Like

That’s what the Hagah contests are going to be.

At least that’s what it seems right now. The official rules are not yet finalized.

its exciting but nerve-racking about how long we must wait for them :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Eljay @Mesonak @Kini_Hawkeye Sorry if tagging is unnecessary, but I have two specific questions and don’t wanted them to be buried in the thread in a matter of days ahah.
They’re certainly interesting for everybody, but I especially need clarification on those two points in order to go further with potential contest entries or not.

1. Body type for Chiara, Zaria, and Orde
I’ve skimmed some comments, and it seems the matter on how exactly Toa Hagah will have to be built is still in discussion. However, do you plan to have any restriction regarding the TYQ Toa’s build (except follow common Toa scales) at the moment? As far as I know, no quotes about their body type were found on the OGD archive.

2. Allowing to cut ribbed hoses
Even though rule 8a of non-purism states that no cut pieces or stickers are allowed, an exception was made in practice with 3mm hoses, since it’s done with official sets and TLG themselves undoubtedly manufacture long hoses or entire reels before cutting them down as needed.
As a matter of fact, it’s also the case for ribbed hoses, as seen with the snowmobile set 8272. Then, are contest entries allowed to use ribbed hoses cut to any standard LEGO units?

7 Likes

@Du7734

I have no idea what they are planning for the Yesterday Quest Toa, but I can’t imagine any restrictions would be placed without a canon reason.

As for your second point:

Yes, but the question is whether or not that rule applies to ribbed hoses, the way it didn’t to pneumatic hoses and flex tubing.

1 Like