BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I was under the impression that the rule did apply to pneumatic hoses and flex tubing. For this contest at least. Obviously, Lego has used cutting in official sets.

EDIT: Here’s something from way earlier in this topic:

So the official answer so far is: maybe.

I would assume that whatever goes for flex tube also goes for ribbed hoses.

whoops. If that’s true then my bad.

1 Like

I think it should be allowed. The fact that Lego has done it in official sets makes it a recognized Lego technique.

Even if Lego has updated their policy and made it an illegal technique, that doesn’t matter; illegal techniques are allowed in these contests.

5 Likes

It was a Toa, that much was certain, but not one Vakama had ever seen before. His armor looked sleeker and more streamlined than that of a Toa Metru, almost like the carvings of ancient heroes Vakama had seen in the Archives. Yet somehow he sensed this Toa was not some figure from the past.

Given that Orde is one of the very first Toa, it would be rad if his design took inspiration from Krakua and Helryx, both the canon design and your entry. Helryx is the very first Toa and the quote above makes it apparent that Krakua’s design reflects ancient Toa.

Other than that, they’re pretty much free-for-all. I hope Orde and Zaria’s mask powers are left unknown but I anticipate they will be determined by what mask happens to be used.

5 Likes

This brings us to the same questions we are having about the Hagah: What if the models use custom Kanohi? Do we just say that it is a new, unknown mask? As the contests currently stand, that would be the case. However, it isn’t out of the question to include Kanohi powers in the contests for Orde and Zaria, perhaps as a pre-contest thing.

But overall, I would say you are right. If the canon depiction of Orde has a Hau, then Orde has a Hau; no ‘wrong-shaped masks’ shenanigans.

1 Like

THIS :point_up:

At first, I find that reasoning a little far-fetched. But the more I think about it, the more satisfactory it becomes. Thank you for bringing up this quote from BA10. I’d no memory of that passage whatsoever, but I think it puts A LOT of things into perspective.
Besides, I was planning at the moment to do some Toa revamps (Lesovikk, Nikila, Dume, Krakua, and maybe Jovan or Toa Metru/Mata) while keeping in mind the designs used for my Helryx MOC. That little bit of context lost in a entire novel will be a very usefull hint!

Personnaly, I’m fine with letting contestants do their thing. I think people will most likely stick to the community consensus that seems to take shape among fan-artists and moccists:

• a Great Sanok for Orde, so he can be as acute physically as he is with his elemental power
  • A Great Maks of Adaptation for Zaria, so he can more likely survive his dreadful backstory ahah

Those masks really fit their personality pretty well if you ask me!

4 Likes

Excellent! I was wary of it at first but it grew on me over time. It would certainly be an excellent opportunity to put metallic gold parts such as these to use.
32165-2 32527-3 32528-2 32534

That is very true. Honestly, I’m a-okay with those being canonized as their mask powers haha.

On the side, Zaria was described as metallic grey and burnt orange, which is pretty much a fancy way of saying to gunmetal and dark orange - a solid color combo.

7 Likes

Counter-intuitively, I was rather thinking about using more contemporary, streamlined and blocky pieces to fit KhingK’s Sanok aesthetic, such as Tahu/Takanuva Stars armor plate, G2 CCBS add-on or G2 uniters’ piece. Even though modern, they still have a suitable OG vibe to them for one of the first Toa imo.
On the other hand, slizer’s head and technic panels are pieces I would have prefer to see on the winning Artakha :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh for sure: I’ve always wanted to do a Zaria MOC because of that color scheme ahah

Really neat paint job on this mask of adaptation! I prefer Vahki6’s iteration of the mask depiction though. It has a more hardened and heroic look, really fitting for a Toa like Zaria.

5 Likes

Fair enough, although I really hope we see an entry with that og shade of gold. The parts you suggested would work very well.

Indeed. I was hoping to see an Artakha with smooth metal green panels on top of a grey/gunmetal body make it to the final round. Oh well.

Likewise. I went with blue eyes on mine since they provide a nice contrast to the dark orange pieces, plus Toa had a tendency to have contrasting colors. The Mask of Adaptation has this knightly look that works quite well on a disgraced Toa of Iron.

1 Like

Why would a guy who has telekinesis need accuracy?

Unless he has a laser weapon like the inika.

Actually, a sanok makes little sense for any Toa that doesn’t have a ranged weapon.

Telekinesis =/= pinpoint accuracy
Plus Orde’s weapons are unknown. He could throw that branch he obtained earlier and knock a Vorox out cold thanks to the Sanok. Plus, didn’t Toa such as Onua and Gali have masks that supplemented their powers?

1 Like

True, but unless you’re firing a high speed object like a cordak missile, you can just telekinetically hit the target even if it moves.

And if he lacks a ranged weapon, the most he’ll be doing is throwing something. He can do that better with his powers.

Yes supplement their powers. Not allow them to do stuff they can already do.

If anything, this proves my point further. A Sanok guarantees that it’s an accurate projectile weapon. Obviously, having telekinesis doesn’t automatically mean you have the accuracy of a marksman.

Besides, don’t the Bota Magan Vorox have blasters in TYQ? A Sanok would certainly benefit Orde if he were to pick up a blaster. Telekinesis in and of itself isn’t going to help him in that case.

I think it’s ridiculous to give a Toa with no ranged attacks (except the ones he can control anyway) a mask of accuracy.

Again, unless he has a ranged weapon like a cordak blaster or laser gun.

So, he has a mask that only benefits him if he encounters an opponent with a ranged weapon and takes it?

Why wouldn’t he just carry his own, at that point?

And I think it’s ridiculous to be unnecessarily abrasive. A ranged weapon has never been required in order for a Sanok to work.

And who’s to say he doesn’t? Weren’t his weapons taken away? He picked up a branch to use as a weapon because Kabrua disarmed the Toa and Gelu.

True. But a hand-thrown projectile is moving at low enough speeds that it can be manipulated telekinetically without impacting its effectiveness. The Sanok is redundant.

The Sanok becomes useful only when the projectile is moving fast enough that the user cannot keep up with it mentally.

But yeah. If someone really wants Orde to have a Sanok, just give him a high-velocity ranged weapon.

Also, telekinesis may not work on energy blasts. Orde couldn’t manipulate a Rhotuka spinner telekinetically, for example.

Nah, if you’re clumsy or simply not accurate enough for a risky task (close combat with lots of enemies, one of your ally is held hostage in front of you, saving someone from a accidental fall, ect you name it), moving/throwing/grasping objects or persons with your hands or your mind will not change the situation: you’ll most likey fail without focus.

Besides, I’m pretty sure activating a mask power and then do something with your own body takes less time and preparations than using an elemental power in a more or less convoluted way.

I don’t really get why you’re so persistent on ranged weapon/attacks for a Sanok user. Tobduk usually as only bladed weapons to go with his Sanok, and it seems he makes REALLY good use of it in close combat/assassination

I mean, why not: even if there are few pieces in that shade, someone could certainly figure a Toa build out of it :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll maybe go with trans-pink for my case. But I absolutely see from where you are coming with constrasting colors. That’s somehting that I apperciate too.

Oh yeah it’s true: I get a great helm vibe out of this mask in general, independently of any 3D-artist version.

2 Likes

Again: if he has some type of blaster and a sanok, I think that’s fine.

Yes, a ranged weapon isn’t required to use a sanok. Tobduk has a sanok. He also doesn’t have telekinesis.

I’m not saying a character needs a ranged weapon to use a sanok. I’m saying a character with telekinesis needs a ranged weapon to need a sanok.

Also, if Orde is a melee fighter, and you want to boost his physical ability? Give him a calix, or a pakari, or perhaps a kakama or even a faxon.

1 Like

While I do imagine Orde with a ranged weapon, such as a bow, I don’t understand why you’re so adamant about it being mandatory. Accuracy and telekinesis are two different things, are they not? Unless one automatically registers telekinesis as granting someone pinpoint accuracy, which is untrue. As Du pointed out:

Exactly. Where does it require Sanok wearers to have ranged weapons?

I think you don’t get that a Sanok allows you to throw or manipulate inanimate objects with very accurate movements and reflexes. It’s not about giving you assistance while aiming with a shooting weapon. If anything, the mask will only allows you to throw the gun just right for it to knock your opponent out :stuck_out_tongue:

I mean, why not, those are not bad ideas. Depends on how the rest of the MOC is shaped I guess.

1 Like