BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

The Matatu doesn’t normally have a scope - Nuju’s one is an attachment made by Vakama. Kazi’s is just non-canon, I guess. Or a super weird coincidence.

1 Like

^Still there tho

Does this make the volitak more Nidhiki-esq

Or is this better?

4 Likes

What’s going on with the artahka results? Sorry if it’s been asked before

TTV sent (EDIT: via email,) the winning design to Greg, but Greg hasn’t responded yet. TTV will wait until Greg responds before starting the Hagah contest.

However, it may be a long time until Greg responds, since he hasn’t been online for a while.

1 Like

We did not send it to him on the message boards. It was emailed to him, which is how we usually correspond with him.

4 Likes

Yes, I know. Sorry if I didn’t make that clear in my post.

1 Like

Nah, we good. 'Tis the problem with text chats plus not knowing each other- tone’s almost impossible to get across.

I think this is a failure to communicate on my part. Yes, I’m inherently against 3D pieces for use in these contests. And yes, I think that something preexisting that’s been “released” for lack of a better term (in this particular case, a 3D mask/weapon or an entire MOC) should not be accepted into these contests, as they’ve been created for a wholly different purpose. Again, most contests don’t allow preexisting media to be entered into them, for one reason or another.

In the example you cited, the creator of that piece of Tuyet artwork would not be allowed to be enter their piece for Tuyet’s artwork portion because in all likelihood it wouldn’t resemble the winning MOC. What I don’t have a problem with is someone taking that artwork or those ideas for her mask and sword and using them as inspiration for their own subsequent MOC and/or artwork, as that subsequent work was created for the explicit intention of entering into the contest. So no, I wouldn’t have a problem with you submitting a MOC based on your own idea of Tuyet, so long as you didn’t actually publish/release/distribute that MOC of Tuyet prior to the contests, because of course it’s going to be up to interpretation.

The same rationale goes to 3D pieces. I inherently don’t like them being in the contests at all, true, but I can tolerate them as long as they were designed and modeled with the contests in mind. A new piece of work is created, rather than using something preexisting. That’s why I’m fine with the artwork contests beforehand creating new stuff, like Nikila’s mask or Surel’s head or Helryx’s mask. If, say, someone way back during the Nikila contest designed her mask to be 100% a Neo-Shifter’s mask, I’d have a problem with it, as it’s a pre-existing thing (not to mention not even Lego).

If the mask made five days ago was intended to be used as, say, an interpretation of Tuyet’s mask with these contests in mind, then I’d be fine with it. If it wasn’t then yeah, I wouldn’t be okay with it. Not sure what you mean about the five years one. Like, do you mean, say, Nikila’s mask? Yeah, I’m fine with that, as that was designed with her contest in mind. If you mean some random fanon mask, then yeah, I’m not really fine with it…

Set was the best word to use, but you’re right, Tobduk wasn’t an actual released set. He was a MOC that was canonized. And I personally count the combo models as sets, since they’re made from other real sets and were made by Lego designers.

True enough. I’m sure there’s about five Greg quotes somewhere that comment on Kazi’s mask one way or the other :stuck_out_tongue:.

2 Likes

I don’t think “creating a MOC to adhere to canon” and “creating a MOC to adhere to canon and become canon” are ‘wholly different purposes’

I think you misunderstand: I created the idea of that MOC with no intention of ever having it become canon.

Why is that okay to enter, but not something for which the idea was created and it was built without any intention of it becoming canon?

The reason that contests don’t usually allow you to submit old entries is to foster and promote creativity. (and to prevent a single really good entry from just dominating multiple contests)

But that isn’t the goal of this contest; the goal of this contest is to come up with the best canon appearance of characters.

If a certain mask is “the best” (and doesn’t conflict with existing canon), why does it matter when it was made?

2 Likes

That doesn’t change the fact that the combiner models have way more restrictions than sets. Of course jovan has the same mask. It’s literally the exact same piece.

Moccists/artists aren’t bound by the same limitations. If someone wants to use a nonaquatic volitak for nidorky, or an inorganic calix for Varian, I say let them.

4 Likes

Gotcha thanks for the reply

Why not? Don’t you think it would neat for Nidhiki to have a Kualsi-shaped Volitak (similar to how Krakua’s mask of telepathy is a mask of shielding-shaped variant?)? Then he’d have a kanohi shaped like the head of his mutated form, similar to how the hordika masks strike a clear resemblance to their Metru forms.:slightly_smiling_face::+1:

I’m really not a fan of how it’s possible for masks to be in different shapes, and I’d be glad if it was retconned (which I think could be done without majorly changing the bionicle story in a major way). Therefore, I want Nidhiki to have a regular volitak. I get that others might see things differently, and that’s fine, but that’s just how I feel…

6 Likes

Actually, Krakua’s Mask of Telepathy isn’t in the shape of a Hau, but in the mask’s standard shape, as confirmed by Greg. Here’s the link to his statment: https://greg.thegreatarchives.com/2003-2008/page158#post6320-line2-3

1 Like

I may be wrong but I’m pretty sure the reason behind not giving Nidhiki a Kualsi shaped Volitak is that it’s been confirmed he has, yanno, a Volitak shaped Volitak.

11 Likes

Not true. Canonically, Krakua’s Suletu is Suletu-shaped.

Not really. I see no purpose behind it. I’m (perhaps too much so) attached the the order/predictability and the collectability of Kanohi; the mask-makers have a system, and having wrong-shaped masks kind of wrecks that. Then we get the confusion that comes with the Hagah.

3 Likes

Huh…
Well, that’s that, I guess…

Oh. Okay then.:man_shrugging: My bad.

To each his own, then, I guess.
I personally think it could’ve been neat, but apparently, it goes against canon, so I’m willing to fold on this one.

1 Like

I actually don’t think it does go against canon (unless @Kini_Hawkeye has a source?) Just against popular preference.

3 Likes

Personally I like the idea that different regions or makers might make masks differently, but that, barring exceptions like the Hagah, they generally follow a template. Lhikan’s Hau is recognisable as a Hau, while being distinct. This is little but headcanon to account for differences though, however it does open the door to more variations of canon masks; something now very possible with the contests and growing prevalence of 3d printed pieces.

5 Likes

I actually think Greg has mentioned something to that effect before.

No promises though.

2 Likes

Exactly. I think Nidhiki with a silver Volitak, meant to complement Lhikan’s golden mask, or a green Kualsi would’ve been cool but it’s already been confirmed that he wore… a green Volitak shaped Volitak [1] [2].

1. was nidhiki’s voltiak silver?
  1. Not to my knowledge, no, it would have been green.
  1. Is it possible that the Mask of Stealth’s appearance is that of Iruini’s Kualsi, due to that Iruini’s Kualsi isn’t its true shape? After all, the Kualsi’s shape fits perfectly with Nidhiki’s head.
  1. Pretty sure it is not. Remember, Nidhiki’s head shape is after his transformation, his head did not look like that before.

I imagine Nidhiki resembling a silver Iruini but I’m open to other designs for him. Imagine 10 years of Nidhiki with metru builds being tossed aside by one non-metru build.

3 Likes