BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Here’s the one I was looking for. Note that this was posted months before the earliest statement that the masks are the same:

5)Is the Suletu, which Kongu is wearing, in the agreed upon shape for a Suletu to be forged in? Or is it another case of a Kanohi being made in a different shape than its usual form?

1. I would assume that is what an organic Suletu would look like

The way he says this seems to suggest that the organic and standard masks do not look the same.

Unless there is another hidden Greg Archives that I am unaware of, or a question was asked with misspelled words, this is the first statement that Greg ever gave related to the shape of the Inika masks.

2 Likes

So here’s a totally unrelated question: what will we be doing for Orde and Zaria’s masks?

1. Moc contest decides the mask – if the winning Orde moc has a Rau, then that’s the mask he has.
  2. Art contest decides the mask – if the winning Orde Moc has a Rau, the art can draw it as an elda, or even a new mask.
  1. A poll is held before the contests to determine their mask power

I think I prefer option 1, because that gives equal opportunity for them to have an existing mask or a new mask.

iirc eljay or meso said that they planned to ask greg before each of those contests if he had a particular mask in mind or that he preferred for them, and take it from there.

1 Like

This is the worst option. Why defeat part of the point of the contests?

2 Likes

Because their appearance does not dictate their mask power.

But I agree that it is a bad option, because it doesn’t really have a good option to introduce a new power, besides “none of the above” (And it does kind of defeat part of the purpose of the contests. Although, these Toa are fairly unique in these contests. There is absolutely nothing to go off of for them. I wouldn’t mind if their powers were decided on before the contests, as long as there is an option to introduce new powers, at which point the Art Contest would decide the canon shape of this new power.)

1 Like

It would be annoying if the art retconned the mask power, especially since it further negates the moc as a whole and the builder’s creative decision.

Either way, the masks are probably going to be an afterthought. I doubt Greg has anything in mind for Orde and Zaria’s masks, especially since he has continuously refused to say what their masks are, so whatever mask happens to be on the winning moc will probably be canon, unless it’s 3-D printed.

1 Like

Either the winning MOC mask is canon or it isn’t; you can’t flip-flop depending on whether or not it’s 3d printed.

If there is a possibility for the winning MOC to have a 3d printed part, then there needs to be an Art Contest. Then, whether or not the Art Contest can change the masks depends on the contest.

But you can’t decide to keep the traditional masks and change the 3d printed ones.

Tell that to Helryx and Artakha.

Thankfully, I never said that.

What do you mean? Those rules didn’t flip flop.

The Art Contest was allowed to change the MOC mask whether or not it was 3d printed.

Sure you did.

You are saying that, if the MOC mask is traditional, then it’s canon. But if it’s 3d printed, then it’s not.

Who both have custom masks different from the moc, and are both canon?

What are you saying, here?

I’m saying that the masks that happened to be on the winning mocs aren’t canon. I’m not talking about the masks that were decided by the art contest. No idea how this was misread.

That is true. But what did it have to do with my statement?

I read this as the mask that happened to be on the winning moc at the end of the moc contest i.e. Pakari, KhingK’s Mask of Creation

I thought this was obvious.

Would you mind telling me how I was flip-flopping?

You are saying that if the MOC mask is an official Lego piece, it should be canon, but 3d printed masks shouldn’t be.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

That is exactly what I meant. I still fail to see what you mean here:

I am saying that the canonicity rules should be consistent for traditional masks and 3d printed masks. Your comment would suggest that the rules were not consistent for Artakha and Helryx, when they, in fact, were.

I never said anything along the lines. What I’m saying is that there’s a good chance that the if Orde and Zaria’s masks happen to be existing lego pieces, then there’s a good chance that will be the final mask. If at least one of their masks happens to be 3-D printed, then a whole new can of worms is opened

This isn’t my personal view on the matter, merely what I expect will happen. If it were, I would say that I hope for both of them to have 3-D printed masks.

The only reason that the art entries have been able to change the mask shape of the winning MOC so far is because the mask powers of Helryx and Artakha were known, but not their mask shapes. Effectively, the MOC decides the appearance of the character, and the art finalizes it by deciding the mask shape. However, that is not applicable for all characters that are planned for the contests. The Hagah we know have mask shapes different from their powers, so they could be any preexisting mask. This is why I don’t think the art portion (if there will be one for the Hagah, which is still to be determined) should be allowed to change the mask shape. If the winning entries use 3D masks, then an art portion would need to be done to uphold the agreement TTV made with BS01. A number of solutions include:

1. Disallow 3D masks, and whatever masks the winning MOCs use are locked in, negating the purpose of an art contest and allowing the MOC itself to be the main image on BS01.
  2. Same stipulations as the previous two contests. Allow 3D masks, but an art contest would need to be done. Art entries can change the shape.
  3. Before allowing entries, do a poll for each of the Hagah’s mask shape, which then every entry would have to follow.

Not suggesting these are perfect or the only solutions, but one of these three are how I imagine it most likely being conducted.

Helryx and Arty are also a different case than Orde and Charia

Basically, there’s four categories

1. Helryx, Tuyet, Artakha: canon masks of unknown shape
  2. Varian, Toa Nidhiki, Chiara, Toa Solek: canon masks with known shape
  3. Orde, Zaria, Hagah: no known mask (or mask shape, in the case of the Hagah)
  4. Lariska, Marendar, GSB: no mask at all

Because Dorek.

That’s it. That’s literally the answer.

4 Likes

Again, why would this open a can of worms? Either the MOC mask is their official design, or it isn’t. Why does it matter if it’s 3d-printed?

So you have an Art Contest, as we have been.

Also: this would mean that if you don’t have the piece for that mask, you can’t enter that contest. (unless it’s redrawn in the art)

Say, for example, the poll determines that Kualus’s mask is shaped like a noble Akaku. If you don’t have a Solek set/his mask, you can’t enter the moc contest. This is the problem with deciding these things via poll.