BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

A rhetorical question, yes. If it’ll put you at ease you’re welcome to ask TTV to get greg to clarify.

1 Like

I think Eljay has said they plan to ask Greg about these things anyway, so I’d say just add Hagah colors to the list.

I’mma be honest, though: even if Greg says the colors can be whatever, there is a 99% chance the winning mocs will match their rahaga colors. I only argue that it isn’t technically canon because I’m pedantic like that.

Or maybe it’s because the Metru build is defined by that torso, and using that torso is the entire point of MM. Has anyone submitted a MM entry with a custom torso? I’ve never seen it.

The proportions aren’t always the exact same, though. For one, look at the Hagah themselves, which have noticeably longer arms. Nor are all Metru builds in general the same–go back to Zaria, who has more “heroic” proportions than the Toa Metru.

You really don’t. This is the first time I’ve ever seen someone try to say that proportions make any build, considering the variety we get in the Inika build.

1 Like

This is also the first time I’ve seen someone say that a single piece defines a build.

1 Like

That definition is, as you may have noticed, up for debate.

For one, you don’t represent the community at large. I’m not arguing them, I’m arguing you, and even if the mass support of the community is behind your opinion, I’m still arguing your opinion and the logic of your argument.

Two, it’s ridiculous for the sole reason that the theoretical gremlin monstrosity looks nothing like a Toa Metru and yet still qualifies under your description. If the torso defines the build, any monstrosity using the torso qualifies as a Metru build, albeit a wacky one. That is ridiculous.

If a Metru build is not in any part defined by its proportions, and only by one piece in its body, I challenge the canon contest as a whole for being inane. Yes, it’s utterly ridiculous to claim the build is entirely based around the one piece making up the torso of something with the exact same proportions doesn’t qualify.

So are you arguing that the Metru build is based around the torso piece because you think it is, or so that we don’t have a wild debate over technicalities?

Hoseryx got second place by a very thin margin.

I could get it to win no problemo. Just meet the minimum TTV requires, and get the right communities on board. Hoseryx part 2 here we go

1 Like

Yes, they are. I wouldn’t be opposed to a black torso on anyone else, but I think it’s silly to contradict Greg by allowing other pieces just so Bomonga could have a gray torso or whatever. Every Hagah has at least one viable color that they need in their color scheme anyway.

Pohatu’s a Mata build. He has a Mata torso and is similar in size to the other Mata. By that logic, yes, an upside down Metru torso is a Metru build IMO. I’ve seen them before, they look surprisingly good.

Then they can buy a Metru torso or they can wait for a different contest. Rules should be accommodating, but Metru torsos aren’t too hard to get. They don’t cost more than a dollar on Bricklink (yes, I checked). What if someone wanted to enter the Artakha contest but didn’t have any green pieces?

This point has been brought up a few times, and I think it holds quite true. Watching how people vote in these polls is always very interesting, and you certainly see a good portion of people trending toward the common headspace in terms of what characters should look like. I tend to agree that chances are, most people will be entering and/or voting for a specific appearance for a lot of the Hagah.

Yeah, no. We’re not playing those games again.

2 Likes

And a rule was introduced to stop that from ever happening again.

2 Likes

Behold, a metru build.

2 Likes

Arguably, yes.

That Kiina torso has shockingly good proportions, though the neck is a little long.

Gee, you’re no fun…

This was, of course, a joke. But hopefully it further reiterates the ridiculousness - and perhaps the danger - of defining any canon contest around one piece in a build.

The shoulders are off by a full unit, which might be an issue, and the neck is a couple units tall, which I do take issue with. Otherwise, it’s utterly hideous and disgusting but the proportions match.

However, it doesn’t really look like a Metru torso. So no.

Seeing as I’ve never even heard of Metru March until you mentioned it, I can’t really argue you on that one.

WHY.
If custom builds are allowed, and you prefer to build physical, and you can make a good custom torso that mimics the metru build… WHY would you just decide not to?

1 Like

I repeat, nobody is owed the ability to enter these contests, if they do not have the parts or desire to abide by the contests rules, there’s really no helping them.

Pardon me for trying to speak for TTV here, but I’ll try my best to make what they’ve said before as clear as I can. The goal isn’t to try and limit creativity or prevent people from participating, but neither is the goal to accommodate everyone’s whims or building preferences. Canon is the goal here, anything else is secondary.

4 Likes

Um, because I don’t think they should be allowed. Greg said they’re Metru builds, so that should be a requirement. Metru build = humanoid with Metru torso piece that is similar in size to existing Metru sets.

2 Likes

Then you haven’t been around in this community for very long, at least nog long enough to see people talk about builds. I mean, what else is it, then? Because you’ve got things like the Inika build where it’s clearly not proportions, simply due to the variety of proportions out there.

And where do you draw the line on proportions? Oh, you used the “thigh” piece with 3 pinholes instead of one? That’s the wrong proportions! Or is it? Then it’s just a matter of “how long is too long” and that’s just subjective. It’s splitting hairs.

I don’t claim to. I’m just going on the definition for this community-created term that’s really only useful for the things it’s been used for if it means a certain thing.

But why is that ridiculous? It’s a consistent definition. You can’t just say “Oh, that’s preposterous!” without giving a “convincing argument,” so to speak, and expect me to take your side. You may not like the look of the resulting MOC, but a bad Metru build is still a Metru build.

I guess I have to say that it’s both. The presence or absence of this piece is an objective marker we can use to quantify what a build is without subjectivity (see my previous comment on limb proportions) interfering with that process.

Because 1. it was actually funny, 2. it was a joke based around Helryx in particular. Tall Pouks isn’t a cheeky reference to existing canon or anything, it’d just be you trying to spite the contest by submitting Slenderbonk over a single piece.

Even if Eljay hadn’t shut you down (because, let’s be real, that woulda been DQ’d for being in bad faith), you’d still have to somehow convince the entire community that it was funnier than Bendy after Bendy lost. I know you’re joking, but that you don’t even think this is serious should make it clear that the danger you claim to fear isn’t really a danger.

3 Likes

I’ll admit that it’s tempting to have such an objective definition for this contest. I think you may have convinced me that the torso piece should be mandatory.

However, you have not convinced me that it should be the sole definition of “Metru build”. I cannot see a four foot tall spaghetti-limbed monster as a Metru build just because it uses the Metru torso.

However, we don’t have to worry about that for this contest, because the Toa Hagah are confirmed to be Toa (duh) and should have the appropriate proportions.

I think requiring a Metru torso is good enough for these contests, since proportions get dealt with by other rules, but I don’t think it’s a good enough definition for a Metru build in general.

EDIT: A Metru build should have “Toa proportions” and be Toa-sized. How about that?

1 Like

This. Is. Not. My. Argument.

I said:

Do I need to say it again?

This whole thing goes back to multiple people saying "if it looks just like a Metru torso, why go custom. To which I have given 5 valid reasons why someone might WANT and CHOOSE to do that, IF it is allowed. To which people keep saying that “well, if they don’t like it, tough, rules are rules.”

1 Like

Well, I’ve never seen that confirmed either, so you can’t really claim no evidence and then give a fact that also has no evidence. :stuck_out_tongue:

The earliest I remember seeing the Kraahkan is in the Bohrok-Kal animations, which wrapped up early-mid 2003. Considering that both the set and the movie were released not too much later that very year, the Avohkii would have well and truly been designed by that point.

(Also of note, the movie version of Takanuva clearly had the set design of his mask established, while the Kraahkan most likely wasn’t because it looked completely different in the movie. So MoL probably came first.)

As far as Takutanuva’s set form goes, you make a fair point, but it wouldn’t be the first time something like this has happened. Combiners are often created long before they are given any story relevance. The flipped design clearly takes design cues from the Avohkii. And it wouldn’t be the first time someone’s head has been flipped by the marketing team:

I don’t feel like Teridax would really want one of the Hagah (especially not the leader) wearing his face around the place, anyway. He’s too jealous and egotistical to be cool with his bodyguards doing that.

2 Likes

This works as a guideline for the contest, but not so much as an objective definition simply because Toa can be really lanky or squat, given official set designs; and some character designs may benefit from weird proportions, as though the character is the Toa equivalent of Andre the Giant or just a dwarf. But that’s not really important insofar as the Hagah contests. For now, in the interest of setting aside this topic, I think that’s a good reccommendation. We can leave it to the community to decide what does and doesn’t count as “Toa proportions.”

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was going for, both for the contests and in general. I almost said “It should be a Toa”, but I thought that might be a little too specific. (“Look”, like a Toa, maybe?)

1 Like